The Cuckoo's Progeny - Cover

The Cuckoo's Progeny

Copyright© 2014 Vincent Berg. All rights reserved.

22: A Long Hike in the Woods

“Hold the ... elevator.” Al reached out, grasping Agent Evens’ arm as he was being wheeled in. “I’ve ... got a ... difficult ... favor to ask.”

Frank glanced down, considering the statement. “What is it?”

Al motioned him closer, not wanting to stress his voice or body more than necessary. Frank Evens leaned over and Al whispered in his ear, which no one else could hear.

Evens jerked upright, his eyes opening wide. “Are you nuts! That could cost me my job.”

Motioning him back, Frank leaned in again and Al continued whispering.

Finished, Frank stood, regarding the recovering victim. “I hope you know what you’re doing.” He checked out everyone surrounding them, noting their serious expressions. They appeared to know what he was asking, despite their not speaking. Frank took Al’s hand and placed it back by his side. “You stay here and rest. There’s no sense getting upset. Remember, if anyone gets injured over this, you owe me.”

Al simply nodded and closed his eyes, continuing to marshal his strength.

Turning away, Agent Evens headed for the stairs. Gary and Delilah followed. When he noticed, he looked at them expectantly.

“We’re prepared to act in case you can’t, since we know what’ll happen,” Delilah said, “but it’s better if we don’t need to.”

“It’ll turn out badly for everyone if we do,” Gary acknowledged.

Nodding, Frank and the two entered the stairway, jogging up two at a time.

“I think I prefer regular victims and plain criminals,” Frank mumbled as they ascended.

“You should try being in our shoes,” Gary said. “This isn’t any easier for us, even knowing what we do.”

When they reached the roof Evens walked out, surveying the scene, while Gary and Delilah held back. Delilah turned and whispered to Gary, and one agent’s hand neared his holster. Realizing he couldn’t afford to delay, Evens acted. Drawing his service pistol, he took a shooter’s stance, aiming at his partner. “Freeze, Jonathon!”

“What the hell are you doing?” Buddy, the other agent, yelled.

The people sitting in the two helicopters froze, not sure what was happening. Realizing Frank wasn’t covering him and the situation was out of control, Buddy pulled his own gun, aiming at his co-agent. Jonathon, though, never uttered a word, moving his hand away from his holster, his lack of shock testifying about his intentions.

“This is crazy!” Buddy yelled.

“Try telling Jonathon,” Frank shouted back, never taking his eyes off his target, the wind making normal conversation difficult. “Get your hands up, or I’ll drop you where you stand!”

Jonathon shrugged, slowing raising his hands until they were beside his head. “They told you what to expect?” He glanced at the two figures behind Agent Evens. “It proves they aren’t human. There’s no telling what the others can do.”

“They haven’t done anything,” Frank said. “There’s no way I can allow you to take preemptive actions, killing innocent citizens who’ve committed no crime. Think of your career.”

“There are more important things than a job,” he said, glancing at Buddy.

“I’ve got no idea what’s going on, but if you don’t holster your gun, things could go horribly wrong.”

“If Jonathon makes a move, feel free to shoot me, because he won’t live long enough for it to make a difference. It’s all up to him.”

“Is what he’s saying true, Jonathon?”

“Hey, I haven’t done anything. He’s claiming they can read my mind when I haven’t thought any such thing.”

Seeing they were in a stalemate, and realizing the longer they waited, the riskier the situation became, Evens yelled back. “Tell them to—”

“They’re already on their way up,” Gary assured him, walking around him, watching Jonathon as well.

“Of course they are,” Frank said, stepping away from the elevator, forcing both agents to turn to face him.

“Consider what you’re doing, Frank,” Buddy cautioned. “Have you really thought this out?”

“I have; the question is whether Jonathon has.”

The elevator dinged; signaling they’d left some minutes ago. As the doors opened, both figures glanced over as the nurses pushed Al’s gurney out. Frank never took his eyes off Jonathon. They took in the scene, nervously watching everyone, but they didn’t delay. The others in Al’s group followed their captain, blocking him from the agents’ weapons.

As they passed behind Agent Evens, Al held his thumb up. “Thanks, I’m in no shape to dodge bullets today.”

Jonathon flinched, his hand lowering slightly. The two agents crouched lower, their fingers resting on their triggers.

“Don’t even consider it,” Frank warned. “You’ll never get close.”

“Do something, Buddy,” Jonathon said, turning to his fellow agent. “You can’t allow this to continue. You need to do something.”

“I still don’t know what’s happening or who’s at fault.”

“And you’re unlikely to find out until someone tries to shoot,” Frank said. “I suggest you hurry up. If you take too long, someone’s likely to try something.”

Reaching the helicopter, the hospital’s copter’s crew and the hospital staff got Al safely stowed. Once situated, the others climbed aboard the waiting helicopters. As they took off, the three agents watched it depart, the nurses edging around the three men.

“Sorry about that,” Frank said, sheathing his sidearm. “You understand why I had to do it.”

“The fuck I do!” Buddy shouted, storming forwards, but Jonathon shrugged, turning to watch the helicopter disappearing into the distance.


“Where are we headed?” the lead pilot asked.

“I can’t give you a specific location,” Xi said, pointing out the window, “but it’s about thirty-five miles in that direction.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.