Castaway: Fearless - Cover

Castaway: Fearless

Copyright© 2016 by Feral Lady

Chapter 13

Captain Minetos escorted our men inside the defensive line of the city, and then we parted from him and the Count. Count Vee had been apologetic that he hadn’t made arrangements for my men. The truth be told, the man hadn’t originally anticipated I’d bring my own escort with me from Conquest Point, so I didn’t blame him for the lack of preplanning. And for this reason, when Scout traveled ahead with Zetia to make the arrangements for us, his knowledge of the city made things easy. I wasn’t going to leave my men. The Count went to the inner city and we ended up in the merchant district where horse-drawn carts labored on the streets like any other day. When Zetia found us again, she explained that near the green-grass common, a large inn had room for us.

People everywhere looked in a celebratory mood. The friendly waves from women hanging out of their windows did wonders for how my men felt, even after a long and eventful day. The Wolves waved back enthusiastically, often blowing kisses at pretty, young women. For a couple of streets the banter among the Wolves was rather raw with sexual tension that wouldn’t go over well in polite company. With their military experience, I was sure Julie and Zetia had heard it all before, because they weren’t fazed by the crude discussions. Fortunately, Scratch quickly had enough and quieted the men before I lost my temper. In fact, when they shut up, all we heard for a few minutes was a rattling laundry cart we passed that was full of weapons and armor from the dead. The loot from the recent battle was full of dirt, grime and blood. I was sure the Raider’s equipment was on its way somewhere to be repaired. It didn’t take a sleuth to tell the cart had been conscripted and was under guard.

In the cool breath of the evening a dozen children chased after us, dodging the dung in the street. They disappeared once we reached our destination, or at least we lost sight of them due to the number of citizens on the market square. A small crowd drew near us when people saw that we were dismounting at a stable. Curious faces watched our every move. A few brave souls tried to make small talk with my men, and we could see the citizens were hungry for reassurances. Scratch took it upon himself to pull the stable master to one side, so I turned my eyes elsewhere. All around us, I caught the scents of familiar spices and thick smoke from food stalls, which was a sweet relief from days of riding and smelling mules. The pleasant smells were a connection to civilization that put a smile on all of our faces.

However, I turned my nose up at the smells around me because I was determined to wet my dry mouth with ale. Across the street from us, our inn looked weathered by time, but the promise of food and drink dismissed any judgment of its less than pristine looks from my mind. After dealing with our animals, a part of the audience followed us to the inn. They gave us a bawdy tribute when they learned we had served in the defense of their city. As we crossed the green space, we partly answered their questions about the fighting. Surprisingly I enjoyed their enthusiasm and it lifted my mood.

Zetia paused when we entered the inn’s taproom. “It smells of sour ale and male sweat.”

Julie laughed. “I don’t care, my legs feel warped by all the riding, and a tankard of ale has my name on it!”

The Wolves near us cheered at her comments and deftly darted to the bar in a playful manner, with waving arms and broad smiles. The dark room had a rough, earthy charm and a coziness. Velvet curtains covered a private area in one corner of the room, and I suspected if opened it further expanded the depth of the room. The common area was surprisingly large. It was a larger building than it had looked from the outside.

Before I moved another foot, a bald, skinny man greeted us. He smiled, although one side of his mouth lacked teeth. “You must be Lord Solon. Welcome to my establishment. As I agreed with your man, all the rooms are ready for you. With all the sailors leaving earlier today, I can accommodate your needs.”

Zetia had told us he wanted payment up front, so I tossed him a leather coin bag. “Thank you. This should cover the food and lodging costs.”

He caught the payment and smiled again. “No. Thank you, Lord Solon. Your business is most welcome. Normally, we are full of merchants and ship crews. The prospect of the attack on the city made them scatter like nervous blackbirds. The harbor’s empty.”

The innkeeper shifted the coin bag into his pocket, bowed and disappeared behind the velvet curtain. I allowed my mind to drift to the sound of a crackling fire and the voices of our tired men. The next thing I knew, Julie and Zetia found a table for us and we found tankards of ale being delivered to us.

Before I said a word, Julie anticipated my thoughts. “Remember, I told you Webster assured me that no alcohol I consume will touch the baby’s lips. The nanomites stop alcohol and other poisons from entering the umbilical cord.”

“I guess,” I answered lamely. I still wasn’t sure I liked her drinking liquor while pregnant. Yet, nano-biology wasn’t my area of expertise.

“Lord Webster wouldn’t steer us wrong when it comes to babies,” Julie responded, mocking me with his new self-imagined title.

I saw Zetia drink in everything Julie said on the subject with a polite nod of approval. “There is no winning this one,” I thought. We saluted each other with our tankards, and enjoyed the well-earned drink. All around us the Wolves were joined by the locals, and it didn’t take long for the story of our day’s activities to spread around the tavern. We saw merchants purchasing ale for my men, picking their brains for information and showing their appreciation. It was good to see everyone happy and safe.

By the time we finished dinner and the Wolves’ noise volume dominated the taproom, Captain Minetos entered the tavern and found our table. He looked dirty and tired, I suspected his men were settled in and he’d reported to whoever was running the city’s defenses. He pulled up a chair without asking and shouted to a barmaid for an ale before he acknowledged us, all casual and friendly like. I didn’t bother asking how he found us, even though I was curious. We had passed half-a-dozen inns before stopping here. We greeted him and made small talk for two minutes, until his ale appeared. He seemed genuinely happy to sit with us. A few of his men filtered around the room, which didn’t surprise me. I suspected Minetos had ordered his men to collect information about us over a few drinks. It was another mark of a smart man.

“To life and family,” he toasted. “I can do without all the blood and gore.”

“Isn’t that the truth,” Julie agreed. “Give me liberty and family life!”

All of us at the table raised our tankards and drank with him.

He threw his arm over the back of his chair and raised his mug at me. “You, Sir, run a disciplined group of men and women. I salute your aid today in drawing the Raiders away, and yesterday’s work too. In Princess Wyrd Chaney’s name I thank you.”

I tipped my head to him. “Neighbors help one another against such men.”

“Yes, but the Count tells me you aren’t from Conquest Point,” he added, gazing around our table.

“Our complexion gave us away?” Julie asked.

He laughed and tipped his half-empty mug at my wife, “There is that, isn’t there. I’ve never heard of a couple with your skin color. Strange as your pigmentation is, I mean no offense. Even Count Vee Score is curious where you come from. He tells me you two are married.”

“We are married,” Julie commented, throwing her silver arm around me. “My husband has a magic touch when it comes to women.”

Zetia snorted in her mug and cackled with laughter. “He is married well and often.”

“You sound like the King,” Captain Minetos answered dryly. “You’re not a king are you?”

“Sorry, he is only a prince,” Julie quipped, treading on swampy ground about our real background. “He’s married to a couple of princesses, however.”

I knew Julie hadn’t drunk too much dark ale, so I was a bit surprised by her frank comment. He looked shocked.

“It’s true, I’ve talked to them,” Zetia added with eagerness.

“And there is Lady Derwen, too,” Julie added, kissing me on the cheek. “She may not be a true princess but she has power and substantial political influence.”

“Enough with my love life,” I barked.

“Don’t be that way, husband. He is here to size you up, and we’re just being honest and open. The Count brought you here to wave the Solon banner.”

Zetia nodded her head in agreement. “Lord Solon has done great things in Convey. We are a small island compared to the Amarian Empire but I’m proud of my origins.”

“Yes, I was wondering if you’d mention your association with the largest shipping company on Convey,” Captain Minetos responded. “We do some occasional business with your company.”

“I think of it as Lady Derwen’s company. I am just her husband,” I said with emotion. “She built her commercial empire long before me, and she runs it well.”

“I don’t know what to think of you, but you have my gratitude for taking the initiative to deal with the raiders,” he said, slowly and distinctly. “Most men would wait for others to handle such warriors when in such large numbers.”

“I had the right kind of men and women who had my back,” I slowly answered, taking his measure and looking for sincerity.

He just tipped his mug and drained it. “Another!”

Zetia drained her mug too. “Another,” she repeated his demand.

A barmaid hovered not far from our table and she acknowledged their requests, disappearing quickly into the growing crowd. For about half-an-hour we moved on to talk about our trip to his city and other safe subjects like weather. When more locals entered the tavern, their clothes pegged them as belonging to a higher social class. The class of people who were next below the nobility in position and birth—the gentry.

Captain Minetos caught me looking at the new clientele. “You are drawing an unusual quality of people for a common inn.”

“Not your normal haunts?” Julie asked.

He laughed. “Actually, my wife’s brother runs the inn’s stable. I stop here on occasion, so I know the normal patrons. My brother-in-law’s daughter is the cook’s assistant for the inn.”

“I sense you aren’t telling us everything,” Zetia added.

Captain Minetos laughed again, more heartily. “You want all my secrets at once?” He laughed. “I have a small interest in the inn, a partial share of the establishment.”

“Ah, thus our good service,” Zetia commented.

“Perhaps,” he said, grinning ear-to-ear. We could see his pride in the place.

“Well the service was excellent, even before you arrived,” Julie said.

He looked pleased but didn’t fish for more compliments. I was sure whatever was said by my men, over drinks, would filter back to Captain Minetos. For a man responsible for some of the security of the province, he had a perfect spy network with the inn. “A smart man, indeed,” I thought.

A number of the new gentry tipped their heads our way, wordlessly greeting Captain Minetos. He waved back each time. Our host seemed well liked, but I was surprised no one thought to interrupt our table. I half-expected the new class of patrons to approach us for introductions. It bothered me enough that I was going to ask him about it when a warrior waded through the crowd to us. The man looked like a senior NCO, a trusted man of the captain’s regiment.

With no greeting, the NCO whispered in his commander’s ear, which made Minetos straighten his back in irritation. He grimaced, clearly unhappy. At the arrival of the NCO, Scratch appeared at my side.

“And it was such a good evening,” Captain Minetos said with a sigh. “I am sorry, but I must go. A ship has arrived in the harbor that I must greet. I hope we gain more time to get to know each better.” A few lines accented his aging forehead.

He stood and kissed my wife’s hand. Julie was impressed with his good humor and manners. Even more so when he kissed Zetia’s hand too, which made her blush. He turned to me as we shared a mutual grin, gripping each other’s forearms.

“It’s been our pleasure to spend time with you. I too hope for more time together,” I said with complete sincerity.

“We’ll have to see what the Black Prince wants,” he responded.

“Who?” I asked.

“My half-brother. Not that he regards me as his brother, since his mother is the queen and my mother is a commoner,” he explained. “However, he is Princess Chaney’s full brother. Her youngest sibling and he is here to see her.”

“Does your sister get along with him?” Zetia asked.

“That is not for me to say,” he commented dryly.

“Then not,” Julie said, waving her own words away. “Tell me what does he look like?”

Captain Minetos considered his words, and then shrugged as if it didn’t really matter. “The Prince is a beefy man almost as tall as your Sergeant Scratch and just as thick throughout his body. He has thick jowls too, which adds to the effect he always seems angry about something. In fact, he always wants something from others.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.