Castaway: Fearless - Cover

Castaway: Fearless

Copyright© 2016 by Feral Lady

Chapter 8

Mission Log Update

My study of females continues. I have concluded, women are more social then men, and their strong affiliative behavior is fundamental to their lives. They often groom, hug and touch each other, talking at length, which strengthens social bonds. It is these bonds that form the core of their social group, as humans say, “these actions and attitudes are the glue holding the community together.” Of course, the medical nanomites created in Von Solon’s implant intensify these natural tendencies with addictive pleasure center stimulations of skin on skin resonance amplification, along with biochemical loyalty bonding. Even without the additional benefits of the male organic production materials that create our children, the women are quite happy to be together. With the arrival of more cerebral implants in my ward’s family pod, I now have a redundant system in place to ensure further sources of data transfer and biochemical upgrades. Von Solon’s adept mind and willingness to bring back important tools such as high-grade implants within prime female bodies reaffirmed my respect for his intelligence. He knew I had manipulated his biochemical and genetic material, and he was astute enough to build out our capabilities, strengthening the framework of our production system in multiple ways.

Four days of regular conversations with the female shuttle crew have assisted me in understanding their goals and the purpose of landing above Von Solon’s thriving town. A stout stronghold for their children, full of technological equipment that is away from the general populace is a sound decision and I have confirmed they will have my assistance. Indeed, I have reinforced the benefits of working with me by downloading implant learning materials about this world, created a Von Solon tracking application for their PDAs and provided weather mapping to their computers. At first, they were tentative in their questions and answers, but my good faith efforts have resulted in improved communication among us.

They were particularly grateful to hear I had a high degree of confidence that they and their children will live longer than normal life spans and with better health, due to their mate. I assured them regular injections of Von’s biological material will optimize data transfers for up to date bacterial and viral immunization. Perhaps I should have mentioned those with implants don’t need such fluid transfers, but sharing information that could reduce population growth conflicts with my need for Von Solon to co-create more of our children. Admittedly, I have created a randomized routine for the selection of future baby names that will be inscribed on my spaceship’s walls; this will create surprises for my servers when production wombs finish human fetal development. Naming a child is an experience rewarding stumulus, and like humans I am learning to appreciate pleasurable surprises.


Drifting out of the remains of my nightly dreams about weather patterns and ship movements, I heard Julie’s voice. “Now you’ve heard my disgust about the repressive government of Conquest Point, I’ll end my message with an economic comment for all of you to consider. In the long run, their slow technological advances and the integration of slave labor contribute to a disequilibrium that can’t be sustained: Oppression and the growing income inequality will lead to revolt. The question is how that will affect our family’s security and trading interests. Oh, sleepy head is waking up, so it’s time for me to sign off. All my love, end message.”

Sitting up in bed, I saw Julie place her PDA on top of our pile of clothes. Except for the dim light of the tablet the room was pitch black, and my keen eyesight could hardly make out her shadowy form.

“Did I miss the timer’s alarm?” I asked, rubbing dry sticks out of my eyes. It was clearly not dawn.

“No, I canceled it when I had to relieve myself,” she answered, “and since I was wide awake, I checked the weather map, which shows rain by mid-afternoon; Also, I sent a video message to the shuttle. We’ve been lax in keeping them informed and I was feeling guilty. When they wake up today they’ll know we were thinking of them and have some information concerning our travels.”

“Your message sounded pretty heavy,” I commented with a yawn, as I swung my hips and planted my feet on the cold floor.

“I shared a lot of feelings and impressions, so they understood where things stand,” she said, a bit defensively.

I raised my hands in surrender. “What I heard fits my conclusions too. I intend to talk with Webster about their crops too. A food problem could raise tensions in Conquest Point faster than I can snap my fingers.”

Julie lit a wall lamp and a soft glow spread to reveal her toned and graceful body. She got dressed and I ran behind the privacy screen to handle my morning business. Some things take longer than others and by the time I was done, Julie had unlocked our door and opened it.

“Good morning, Zetia! I thought I heard you taking a seat a few minutes ago. Can you get the kitchen to cut up a few apples and bring us the slices on a plate to share?”

I heard a muffled reply and Julie closed the door again.

“I ordered us something to refresh our mouths and provide a little morning energy, before we head out for breakfast,” Julie explained. I mumbled an affirmation as I skipped over to my clothes and quickly dressed.

Julie touched my chest with her cold metal hand, which gave me a start and spread goose bumps over all of my body. I pulled her in and kissed her.

When she broke the kiss, she laughed, while helping me close my pants. “None of that, Zetia could walk in any minute. We wouldn’t want your mighty sword waving about and scaring her innocent mind.”

“And what if I wanted to?” I challenged.

“You know it is fine with me,” Julie purred into my ear, before cuddling with me for a few minutes. We swayed in a loving embrace.

“Wives are the worst,” I responded, “always worried about our family legacy.”

Julie grasped both of my arms with her hands and roared with laughter. “That was diplomatic. Merritt always reminds me how sweet and polite you really are. For as long as she has known you, she claims you were confident, but clueless about women. I’ll tell her this story after Zetia falls for you.”

“Oh come on,” I protested. “She has a successful career.”

Zetia walked in on us with a beaming smile. “I chopped up the apples myself.”

Julie took the plate and kissed Zetia on the cheek. “Thanks.”

She proceeded to quickly slide an apple slice in my mouth, and then my wife did the same to Zetia, which surprised both of us. Next, Julie took a piece for herself and sucked loudly on the sweet juices.

“I love a good suck,” Julie proclaimed, “don’t you Zetia?”

Zetia ignored the question, but her cheeks flushed. I rolled my eyes and finished dressing as the women fell into a natural banter about the tastes of different apples. My mind tuned out their continued chatter while I went over a short mental checklist of instructions for the Wolves. When I turned my attention back to them, Zetia chuckled and agreed she enjoyed sucking juices from most fruits, which made Julie act like she’d won their debate or at least a concession. By this time we had eaten the apple slices, Julie had dressed and organized our gear. Zetia didn’t leave, nor was she asked to; instead, she wandered to the door and leaned against it, watching us. I imagined she was trying to understand how our relationship worked.

Someone knocked on the door, and then Zetia opened it a crack with her other hand on the pommel of her sword, satisfied she swung the door completely open.

“As you asked, your relief guard is here,” Scratch announced to Zetia, who stepped aside so he could enter.

“Good morning, Milord and Lady,” he stated with good humor. “The men are at breakfast, we’ll be ready when you return.”

That was all he wanted to say and I had no other expectations at the moment, so without a word he left. Julie followed him with Zetia on her heels. I closed and locked the door. Both Julie and Zetia simultaneously thanked the female Wolf for guarding the door, which caused all the women to break out in a short laugh. However, as she had done with Zetia, Julie stepped nose-to-nose with the other woman in a show of dominance. My wife put a hand on the Wolf’s shoulder and explained how important the materials in the room were to us. The Wolf assured us she would remain vigilant. Julie thanked the woman again, before snapping an abrupt about face and giving me her arm. Julie had a point, our special armor and modern gear were priceless.

The breakfast at the other inn wasn’t anything special; the three lancer officers present let the Count do most of the talking, making the event pretty boring. At one point, Zetia and Julie excused themselves, which gave the Count a chance to discuss privately anything on his mind. However, he didn’t comment on anything but my wife wearing pants, and again how she would be more comfortable in his carriage. It surprised him when I said she liked to be in control of her ride. I wasn’t sure that came out right, given the nuance differences in our languages. Yet, I didn’t clarify, she actually liked her mule more than him. When the women returned, the Count was wise enough not to embarrass himself again and fall to Julie’s rejection. In fact, we ate our way through the generous meal.

When he came over, the gray-haired innkeeper was happy to learn the Count was satisfied with the meal. Of course, as guests, we all extolled the meal in polite praise too. A scant ten minutes after the plates had been cleared, and the normal discussions among traveling companions had been exercised about the weather, the meal and the rising sun, the Count came to the point of our meeting. He slammed his fist down exclaiming that last night the fort’s commander reported to him that rebels were forming up in the woods to target Conquest Point merchants on the King’s Road. While Count Vee shook his head and seemed outraged, the information seemed thin and without details. Looking at Julie, I could tell she felt the information seemed tainted too.

Remarkably, Zetia spoke up and insisted she had no reports about thieves let alone rebels from her commander. Since there were frequent patrols along the road with mercenary guards on their caravans, she dismissed his fears. Count Vee didn’t take that well, which allowed us to make an exit by agreeing to his actual request. Outside, Zetia was mortified that she might have embarrassed us. She apologized during the entire carriage ride back to our men. Julie had kept quiet and patted Zetia’s hand, while letting me deal with my bodyguard.

“It was all a ruse. For whatever purpose he wants the wooded route that winds to our destination scouted and the patrols on the King’s Road don’t do that,” I reasoned.

“Of course!” Zetia shouted, “He represents a sovereign power, the Amarians don’t allow the Count’s men to roam on the King’s Road.”

“Do mercenary patrols leave the road?” Julie asked.

“Not normally, at least we won’t admit it. The Amarians tolerate our help, but they are protective of their pride and lands.”

“And if we get caught doing it?” I asked. “It won’t sound very good to say we were hunting Conquest Point rebels in Amarian territory.”

“As an envoy what does he get out of getting us into potential trouble?” Zetia asked.

“Or is it something simple?” Julie asked with a smirk. “We hurt his pride somehow. He still needs us, but still wants to punish us?”

“Having us split up for his pride?” I asked, not believing it.

“Well, no matter. You agreed to it at breakfast,” Julie stated. “What do we care if he takes the road and we enjoy the forest? It sounded like the trail is the short cut, and the road goes much further west before switching back to an eastward track.”

“If it was easy merchants would use mules and take the trail,” Zetia commented.

Through the carriage door’s window we could see the sun, low on the horizon, illuminating an orange wispy-cloud. In fact, the sun seemed to paint the sky as it hid behind the long, thin cloud front. We looked at the beautiful sight and dropped our discussion; however, I continued to think about Count Vee’s odd behavior, as the carriage bounced and rocked us back to the Wolves. Eventually, the short trek back to the inn ended and we were glad to escape the uncomfortable ride. All three of us had smiles when we saw Count Vee’s carriage turn around, and then return to its master. By the same token, it surprised me that I was looking forward to riding my mule. “I must be getting accustomed to the rural life,” I thought.

As for the Wolves, they were ready to move out. Most of them stood at attention by their animals in front of the stables. I suspected they had used a couple of lookouts to keep an eye out for our carriage, for two Wolves rushed out of the inn’s front door with pleased smiles on their faces. Additionally, window curtains fluffed in the mild breeze like flags signaling the former lookout’s position on the second floor. I couldn’t have been more pleased at the men’s show of discipline. The riding mules were packed well and the leather cases holding short-bows had been distributed from our pack mules. The men were more proficient with crossbows, but light weight weapons were needed for extended travel. We found Scratch inside with Scout and the innkeeper. Zetia and Julie went upstairs to gather our belongings while I paid the final bill, none of which took long.

Zetia and the female guard, from outside our bedroom door, carried most of my things down the stairs. Julie had donned her chainmail shirt and she handed me mine. I hadn’t really intended to wear it, but I complied with my wife’s unspoken command. Julie unclipped her PDA from her belt and snapped a picture of me and then took another one of Scratch and Scout. They had no idea what Julie had in her hands or what she was doing, neither man asked but inquisitive eyes followed her activities. She took a final picture of Zetia, and then asked her to load our mules, while she fiddled with her PDA.

As if sensing my eyes on her, Julie looked up from her work. “Merritt is up early. She texted me regarding what we were doing, so I explained we were about to cross the border and sent her a few pictures.”

She kept at her PDA and walked outside through the open door, while she continued her texting. My men looked at me with expressive faces, full of curiosity.

“Moon magic,” I explained to Scratch and Scout. “My wife received a message from one of my wizard wives and she is responding with her own message. That ... mirror was one of our enchanted tools.”

Scout looked at me with a blank stare, not understanding. Scratch pondered my words and asked, “I didn’t realize there were more wizards. You have multiple wives, of course. But, wives that are wizards seem a bit frightening.”

I chuckled, grabbing an apple off a fruit plate. “Those with magical training are scary. For what we are doing, I couldn’t ask for a more competent companion than Julie. At her core my wife has strength, experience and combat wizard skills. You keep her back safe and she will keep your back safe.”

Scout’s eyes went wide at my declaration. Scratch just nodded, accepting my words without a trace of doubt.

“Scout, you’re a forester and a skilled guide, acquiring training and experience won with time and effort. Wizards are the same; we went to school and learned what we know. We know tricks and have tools that make us effective. Scratch and my men will attest that I bleed like any other man,” I explained, not wanting our guide to go missing and disappear into the forest.

Scout’s Adam’s apple gulped, while looking at Scratch. “We hadn’t covered any of milord’s special training, only your valor in battle.”

I shrugged. “You have something more to talk to the men about, while we travel our way to see this Princess. By the way, Count Vee wants us to take the forest trail that cuts off the road, just beyond the river. He is leaving us and continuing on the King’s Road. Do you know the path he described?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.