I Didn't Cry at All Last Night - Cover

I Didn't Cry at All Last Night

Copyright© 2016 by Lapi

Chapter 1

I should go back and say a few words about myself, not the entire tale mind you, but the moment in time, that now seems so long ago.

This part of the story goes like this:

It was hot, very hot today and my horse and I were dressed in a full suit of plate armour consisting of a helmet, gorget (or bevor), pauldrons, besagews, rondels, couters, vambraces, gauntlets, cuirass (back and breastplate) with fauld, tassets, culet, mail skirt, cuisses, poleyns, greaves, and sabatons for me. This was highly unusual. One of my girls, Mya had a vision and had advised me to make ready for battle. I was no fool so listened to the wench.

We (The steeds and I) had the very fullest and strongest sets of plate made, they included pieces of exchange so that the suit could be configured for a range of different uses, for example fighting on foot or on horse. Unlike some, my armour was to protect me and my horse, no tourney or show games with these Jack.

A complete suit of plate armour made from well-tempered steel would weigh around 15–25 kg(33-55 pounds) depending on size and gauge. I told myself it was worth the extra weight though for more protection. While traveling, I could not wear my plate and ride any of my three like armoured horse very far, it was just too hot and heavy for them to maintain any distance thusly adorned. It also gave reason to my success.

I rode a tall and strong stallion, one of three I had, white in colour and birthed in Spain; all from the same breed as an Andalusia war mount plus the spirit of a Saracen sire. Each was unique and its cost as great as a King’s ransom. I was not a King but received many ‘gifts’ like one.

When I normally rode on a journey, a Saracen blade made by ‘The Great One’ in Damascus and a small rounded shield were all I carried as weapons. Two more single handed blades made in Spain, 2 large, sturdy shields, a lance or two and two very large and heavy two-handed Great Swords, taken in battle, were aboard the wagon. Each of my ‘men’, (girls and ladies too), was armed with a dirk and good crossbow with extra bolts as protection.

My retinue consisted of a large supply cart, another one that was less burdened, both hauled by 4 mules, 4 girls, almost pages by the way they watched over me, were mounted on Sorrel mares, and rode on two either side of both. We were led by a tall and well-built mounted lad, Erik, of the Norse, taken in battle 3 years earlier, who carried my banner and colours. He too rode a white, but a smaller mare. Ahh, yes our companions. Man’s best friend. We had 6 of the biggest, meanest dogs which could be had. They would be protection for all of us. Did I mention that they were big and mean, they also were kept hungry? On stringers behind each cart were spare horses and mules, just in case. All in all we were as prepared as any for what I did.

What I did was fight for whoever paid me enough gold. Sounds a bit crass, I know, but, any port in a storm I had been told. I told you about Erik, he was Norse, 16 now or thereabouts, Mya and Vanessa, 14 or 15, both black haired and were from Circassia, then Yasmine and Salaam, 14 or so, taken in battles near where the Turks hailed from; there also was Katya and Katia, twin sisters of 17 years, and they were driving the wagons, both were girls from the Steppes or Caucasus and taken in battle there.

You might wonder how any, taken in battle, might loyally serve a Master. Let me tell you a little secret, if it were not for me, each of them would now be dead or worse, praying for death, and they knew it. Secondly, they were not ‘slaves’, they rode with me because they wished to. The most important reason perhaps, I feed, clothed and tried to educate them in ways not many who were not a noble ever were. In short, they lived a life with me that they never could have on their own, shortened perhaps though, by the way I must have need to endure.

One day our path saw us bordering Germany. It was unseasonal weather for Spring here. Water stops were frequent so our journey then saw us travel near the river. Such was both good and bad. Good because water was plentiful, bad because brigands tended to have frequented the same route as us.

Caution, at all times, was the unspoken watchword. The mules were as keen, if not more so than the dogs when danger was afoot. Their ears would lay back, then move visibly from side to side. The stance of the dogs would change too. All had long since learned to keep silent or had been ‘silenced’ at birth. In such circumstance, one did not need a braying mule or the sound of a barking dog. The horses, by contrast, had been breed for exactly this type of thing, silence in face of an enemy was what they had been trained for.

I, of course had Mya for times like this too, my own little predictor of trouble. This garb was hot but was preferred over the alternative. I had learned the hard way to listen to the ‘little one’.

It was not a populous country, but as I said, this route was favoured by many brigands. Those areas which were near or bordered a town or village were sure to provided an attack or two along the way. This route would take us to a village I wanted to stop at.

Between the dogs, 7 crossbows and my sword though, we had yet to find any who might successfully attack us. They were soon dispatched and added to our food, supplies and we gained some coin. Rarely were they mounted though. A pity, since a trip to sell the horse would be welcomed. Those girls, by the by, were as deadly with those bolts as any man would be.

It had become my custom to remain horsed and let the dogs and my ‘men’ clear the way. They retained what they wished of the spoils and sold or traded the remainder of the things when possible. By now, each would be deemed wealthy. I had told you they were not slaves.

I should also tell you also Vanessa and Yasmine knew how to cook up a feast, and food supplies were always plentiful, one reason we had a second wagon; another was those dogs were bottomless pits.

My main income was gleaned from a castle, town or merchant group needing escort and protection; so those were oft frequented by us. Yes, us; with the dogs we made a formidably well armed escort.

The merchants we guarded were generally overburdened and slower than us. All my girls could ride as well as any man, I wore little plate though on the few times we would require speed, such as escort for a bride, Princess, or messenger, then we returned for the wagons and gear after.

It may seem odd to think a girl would serve other than for some sport or comfort but all those who followed me would have to do whatever was required, be they male or female. Whatever needed to be done was freely done. Kill or be killed was always in the forefront of our thoughts.

Over the years they had been with me, all had proven this was so. In no small way, they all, the dogs too, were my family and I loved them as such.

We came to a small clearing near a brook. A perfect place to camp and for an ambush.

Between Eric’s sign, ears down on the mules, myself surrounded now by the dogs and my lovely pages to protect me from harm, it was not difficult to deduce something was afoot. Mya next to me holding my lance was another gentle reminder of why I wore that hot and sweaty armour.

We could retreat, charge forward or... ? I motioned Erik ahead.

“Hail the camp. My Master wishes to rest, and water, will you share this field or fight us?”

One obnoxious fool responded.

“Go away boy but send those doxies here for some sport, we... ?

That was about as far as he got as a bolt suddenly grew from his forehead. Katya or Katia probably took exception to what he had been saying.

To them, the wagons, horses and girls had seemed like their gods were smiling on them with a gift. The shadows on the ground cast by the dogs and the glint of my armour and that on my steed gave them some pause for thought though. The new addition in their friends face had given them another thought. Fight or flee replaced lust and greed. Erik unfurling my colours hastened their flee decision.

We added some nice pots, pans and stores our almost hosts hurriedly left behind. We also did not need to cook that night, they had thoughtfully already provided dinner and a fire for us.

We had no other visitors that night. The dogs may have something to do with that. Did I mention how those dogs were always hungry?

At false dawn, the smell of food and hot drink filled the air. I reached out and found at least not everyone had deserted me this morning. I assumed Vanessa and Mya were readying another feast.

Water, food and honesty was prized by all of us. Katya was near to me while her sister was quite taken with Erik as he was with her. No matter, the girls were twins and shared everything; they earned every minute they might have each other also. Our life was not one many would choose to have.

Two of the dogs standing up brought me crawling out of our tent. Two more were with Vanessa and Mya. I assumed Erik and Katia were circling in the woods with the other two dogs. “Hello the camp. May a weary traveler share your fire?”

The old man looked harmless enough. I guess my quick reply was fostered perhaps by the dream I was enjoying. I gently slapped someone’s bare butt to get up. I said. “Enter, but be aware there are no extra girls for you old man.”

Mya and Vanessa, even the one called Katya gave me a very provocative grin.

“Drink, Mi’lord? We shall have porridge and the remainder of last night’s meal this morning.

Erik held up both hands then again. I knew I had seen this man before.

“Sire, I fear we were not expecting so many to share this meager repast but, with time and a kind word to our chefs, a small feast will be prepared for you and your men.”

He not only looked surprised, but he started to laugh.

“We followed a band of highwaymen to this spot. If I had thought you were them, my men would have dealt with you already.”

“Perhaps Sire, but you and most of your men would have paid a high price.”

“How so, kind sir, you are alone save for these wenches and a squire.”

“Perhaps Sire you see only what I would have you see. Some of this repast was a gift left by those you seek.”

“Then kind Sir, we will be off.”

“One is in the woods, at least what of him that has survived the night. I think with the dogs though, no animal would have approached near to us. We would accompany you for your good graces and a heart felt thank you, although there were only 9 of them left.”

“Nine and they withdrew? You are only one man.”

“Sire, if they had insisted to stay, there would be 10 bodies in those woods. We were tired and the scent of their meal took precedence. Your 20 should have little trouble. None were mounted and spent a cold night.”

“How did you... ?”

“Sire, I am certain you rule quite well, your guards do as you command. I too do what I do well but my ‘men’ however need not be told what to do, they do whatever is needed, whenever it is needed.”

I made a signal and a bolt now protruded from near the King.

“Rest and share our camp Sire. Send your men off to deal with the varlets then have them return. You will be quite safe here with us.”

“Indeed, perhaps that is wise council. At my age long rides are not favoured.”

He laughed and signaled his men. He gave one his words and they rode off.

“Food and drink you say ‘Wench’?”

“Mya handed him a plate. Her hand strumming the end of the bolt near the fire. No words were necessary. The term ‘Wench’ was not one of the terms the source that used that bolt cared to hear.

That Vanessa started to hum, then gave voice to a song startled me. I had never heard her sing before. It was beautiful, a joyous tune.

No signal being given by me, the dogs and the girls in the tent and theones in the woods remained hidden. In many ways it was fortunate, in another it almost cost me my band of merry men.

A half dozen brigands appeared to the North. They were armed and led their horses, hoofs wrapped and muffled. They made little sound. Their leader stepped forward demanding things. He seemed most intrigued by Mya and Vanessa. Perhaps her song attracted him. His gesture for his men to kill me was ill received by them.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.