Round Two - Cover

Round Two

Copyright© 2016 by Mad King Olaf

Chapter 6: An Unexpected Engagement

Finding myself in a strange village, surrounded by people who didn’t speak the same language, and guarded by two men (who, if I was honest, looked quite a bit stronger than me) with very sharp spears, I decided that silence was the best course of action. I was sitting around the central fire which was positioned directly outside the largest hut. Due to its location and decoration, I assumed the hut was the lodging of someone very important. Neta sat herself behind and to the side of me, taking several moments to arrange her hair and clothing. One of my guards entered the hut, and several minutes of muted conversation took place. The guard reappeared only to usher Neta inside, which was followed by even more conversation. When Neta returned she had an anxious expression on her face and quickly returned to her seat ignoring me completely.

Several minutes passed before a woman exited the tent with a platter of dried meat and a bowl of water which she placed in front of me. Her moves were graceful and practiced leading me to believe it was some sort of ceremony. She gave a quick glance at Neta who briefly met her gaze before returning to the tent. A few more moments waiting and someone I can only assume was the chief exited. He was slightly older than the natives I had seen so far, but remained in excellent physical condition as exhibited by his bare chest and shoulders. His hair was tied back with several lengths of cord like the rest of the men, but he also wore a necklace of claws and teeth. He sat directly opposite me and held my gaze for several seconds in silence.

Seeming to make up his mind, he sat up slightly and gestured at the plate in front of me. I took a few polite bites and found the meat pleasingly spicy. I made a note to get the recipe before leaving. Once he had my attention again, he pointed at me and said “Chet’r,” then at himself and added “Nobu,” then looked at me expectantly.

I pointed to him and repeated “Nobu” then at myself and corrected “Chester.”

We went back and forth a few times before we both he was satisfied that I knew his name, and that he could pronounce mine. He got far closer than Neta, clearly saying “Chester,” but there was still a hitch in his voice halfway through. I figured that was a close as he was going to get.

He then began teaching me his language. He would point at objects, or pantomime actions, and then say his word. I was to repeat his word and then add the English word. We would go back and forth again until he was satisfied, then he would pick a new word and we would continue. My guards and Neta had been dismissed earlier and we spent several hours alone around the fire. The sun had set and I had finished my meat sampler before he decided we were done. I had learned a number of nouns, a few basic verbs, and already forgotten far more. When he rose and returned to his tent Neta was immediately at my side. She grabbed my hand and led me to a group of tents farthest from the central fire. She sat me down and pressed a bowl of stew into my hands before sitting across from me at the small fire. Ravenous, I ate quickly and when I was done, Neta pushed me into one of the tents. I found my pack and rifle leaning up against the central pole. The tent was small but well equipped. The front flaps were tied open allowing the light from the fire to enter. Several furs were laid out on the ground and a basin of water sat in the corner. She made signs for me to sleep and then left just as quickly. I sat in the relative darkness trying to organize my thoughts when Neta darted into the tent, planted a hasty yet deep and promising kiss on my lips and then rushed out again. Whatever order I had set my thoughts into was demolished at that point and I gave into sleep hoping tomorrow would bring clarity and understanding.

The strange noises of human activity woke me as the sun was just starting to rise. I peeked out of the tent to find Neta sitting at the entrance with a platter of her own. When she saw I was awake, she exclaimed “Chest’r” with a smile and led me to the small fire shared by the few tents around me. She sat me down, placed the platter in my hands, and pantomimed “eat” using the native word at the same time. My breakfast appeared to be some form of oatmeal and was equally bland. While I was inspecting it, other young males exited the caves around me and were served by various women. With suspicious and curious glances my way, they began eating at once using their fingers to shovel the porridge into their mouths. I sighed and figured “when in rome...” Neta quickly left my side and darted into my tent. When I made a move to follow she pushed me back onto the ground and told me to eat again. Before my breakfast was done Neta was back at my side with the water pot from my tent, judging by the temperature this bowl was fresh from a spring or creek. I drank some and when I was finished with my meal she used the rest to wash my hands. I did not miss the jealous and envious looks of the other men around me while she did this.

Once I was done, Neta then led me to the river, keeping up a stream of native conversation as she went along. She was apparently my caretaker today. We got to the edge of the river and she gave me an order I didn’t understand. Frustrated with my lack of understanding, she repeated herself several times and then gave up and surprised me by removing all her clothes. I admit, I was struck dumb for a few moments as I took in her form. She was a young woman in excellent shape. Her native looks gave her a haunting beauty that gave me pause. She appeared not to notice my stupor and after a few moments of silence, began stripping me herself. At that point I got the picture and started helping her with the unfamiliar garments. I wasn’t really sure what was happening but she seemed to be all business so I let her lead. I questioned her order back to her, pointing at my shirt on the ground. She laughed and shook her head. She then pointed at the river and repeated her order. I shrugged and started unlacing my boots.

I was a revitalized healthy male being undressed by a beautiful, naked, young woman which had the expected reaction. A reaction which was made obvious when she finally pulled off my trousers. I was a little proud when she got caught up in her own little moment as I had earlier. I caught the hint of a blush behind her dark cheeks and she tentatively touched my erection before rediscovering her purpose. Quickly standing, she pushed me towards the river issuing the same order. Bathe! I must have seemed like an idiot as it was obvious what she wanted of me. As soon as I understood I made my way down the bank on my own and began rinsing in the cold water. As clean as I was going to get, I stood and made my way back to shore. A shout from Neta stopped me and she threw something at my head. I caught an irregular blob of something white and soap-like. Taking a chance I scrubbed myself down with the pleasantly clean-smelling suds. The soap bar in my backpack was down to a sliver and I made a note to get this recipe as well. Scrubbed, soaped, and rinsed, I exited the river with Neta’s approval.

Neta kept my clothes from me, instead rubbing me down with a small square of extremely soft hide. The temperature of the water and morning air was all that kept me from another embarrassing situation. Satisfied that I was dry, she handed me a set of skin clothing. A kilt-like bottom hung from my waist and sported the belt, and pouch I was familiar with. The knife was conspicuously absent. A toga-like top wrapped over my shoulder and tied loosely at the waist. I added my pistol belt before heading back to camp under Neta’s satisfied gaze. I was led back to the central fire where a cough from Neta brought the woman I now knew as Nobu’s wife (but not her name) out with another platter of food. Nobu joined me shortly and we began another marathon session of language exchange. We were interrupted a few times as other natives needed Nobu’s attention, but otherwise we spent a solid five hours learning each other’s words. I clearly had a brain boost as well because I was remembering things from yesterday that I couldn’t recall last night. We broke for a lunch of some sort of soup, again served by Neta, and again with me seated at the distant fire. For the afternoon I was again led to the central fire and Nobu continued his lessons.

The evening meal was a roast meat I hadn’t had before. Neta was all smiles when I was able to convey “Chester eat now” when she picked me up for the evening meal. I followed up with “Neta eat not now?”

She explained, “not now, not here” with a smile, and I got another promising kiss before she dashed off to wherever she goes when I can’t see her. After a day and a half of torture, I was happy to start actually communicating with another person. I knew the routine that evening and settled into my furs with a minimal amount of urging and leading. After she left I noticed my old clothes were clean and folded in a pile next to my bed. Apparently I was a little ripe when I arrived and she had made sure to erase every smell that could have lingered. I nodded off quickly, mentally exhausted from the day’s efforts.

I woke up a few hours later as Neta slipped into my tent, covering my mouth and urging me to be quiet. She quickly shucked her clothes and wrapped me around herself as she slid under the furs. This kiss wasn’t nearly as hasty, but had just as much passion, if not more, as the previous two. I didn’t really understand our relationship, but when a girl jumps naked into your bed, it’s usually not a sign that your attention is unwanted. So I let my hands wander across her body, eliciting soft moans and contented sighs as she wiggled her shapely backside against me. She giggled as junior started getting ideas but each attempt I made to move the action south of the equator was gently rebuffed. I would have to be satisfied with kissing her neck and fondling her breasts, she certainly was. We spent a few more minutes necking before drifting to sleep in each other’s arms.

I awoke the next morning as Neta shimmied into her clothes and peeked out of the tent flaps. She didn’t seem to timid last night but she seemed to be taking steps not to be noticed this morning. The coast was apparently clear and she gave me one more kiss, before tossing me my clothing and slipping out of the tent. I took the signal, got dressed, and met Neta sitting in her usual spot just outside with my breakfast. Apparently the ruse needed to be performed in full.

Neta jumped up as I finished and demanded, “Chets’r wash now,”

“Chester wash” I responded with a nod, and we made our way down to the river. Neta led us to the river and I began disrobing. I smiled and gave her a deep kiss before snatching the soap from the pile of clothing at our feed and headed out into the chilly waters. One dunk, scrub, and dunk later I was subject to what was fast becoming one of my favorite traditions, the post-wash drying.

After washing it was back to the fire for another session with Nobu. I was eager to show my newfound knowledge by engaging in conversation, but he ignored my questions, instead returning to the simple point, speak, and wait for response method of teaching. Today we spent the latter half of the lesson walking around the camp and the surrounding forest as he expanded my vocabulary. He never repeated an English word where I could hear it, but the intelligence behind his eyes made me believe he was not coming away from these lessons empty handed either.


This pattern continued for several more days. Wake, wash, eat, learn, eat, learn, eat, learn, and sleep. Although Nobu would have none of it, I was able to practice my growing knowledge with Neta briefly during meals and washing and with whispers at night. Our relationship was never spoken of, and did not progress beyond necking and sleeping, but by the smiles and energy she greeted me with each morning, she was happy with the situation.

One morning, instead of continuing our lessons, Nobu began a conversation.

“You have learned the language of the Riverpeople, and now we can discuss your future. Neta has told us that you killed Denar, the one who killed her mate Tal. Is this true?”

“Yes.” I answered simply, “He was taking her against her will. Where I come from, this is not allowed.”

“When a warrior kills another he becomes the owner of the dead warrior’s possessions including his mate. When Denar killed Tal, he became Neta’s new mate and may do what he likes with her, he was doing nothing wrong. However, you have done the same to him, and now Neta is your mate, to do with what you will. I am glad that you killed Denar, as he is without honor and would have taken Neta away from us to live with his people, the Rock People. Neta is glad as well, she loved Tal, but her grief at his death was eclipsed at her grief of being mated to Denar. Although I am glad Neta is no longer Denar’s mate, I do not know you and am worried that she may have jumped from the net to the bank. Your honor is unknown, and you may also take her away to be with your people.”

“I have no people.” I replied, “I live on my own.”

“How do you survive without a mate or village to help you? How do you protect yourself against raids from other villages?”

“Not easily. I have ways of protecting myself that are powerful and must remain secret. I know that I would need a mate eventually to help, but was preparing my home first. Although I was not looking for one, I am happy I have found a mate, and happy that my mate is Neta. We have grown to know each other and I find her capable and desirable.”

“It pleases a father that his daughter has found a good match. It concerns a chief that you will not share your abilities. Where is this home you are preparing?”

“Less than a day’s walk to the north.”

“Do you plan on taking Neta there, away from her people?”

“We are still discussing the future, so I do not plan anything. I believe Neta would agree that my home is better home than here. She may miss her friends and family but will not be too far from them if she wants to visit.”

“This is your right as her mate, and her happiness is now your concern, not mine. As a father I wish she was staying, but I agree that the distance is not great.” He seemed to change thought and then continued, “Neta and I have taught you some of the customs of the Riverpeople, but there is another which might concern you.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.