NOBEL TREASURE MYSTERY - Cover

NOBEL TREASURE MYSTERY

 

Chapter 1

We were back in the home we grew up in, Philadelphia, having arrived there from the funeral of our parents, Henry and Mary Noble.

It really was a tragic accident, when a private plane attempted to use a stretch of highway to make an emergency landing.

Apparently, they made a perfect three-point landing, but they couldn’t slow down before running into an overpass that our parents were traveling over. A large piece of wing broke off and hit them broadside so hard the car was knocked off the bridge and everyone was killed instantly.

The five of us kids, with the help of the family lawyer got an $11 million settlement which we have split five ways.

Now we are back in the house we all grew up in not having been there for quite a while.

My name is Henry, actually Henry Junior, but I had thought of dropping the Junior since the accident.

I am thirty years old with a younger brother named Robert and three younger sisters named Linda, Lois, and Luanne.

Luanne never liked her name much and quickly asked us all to call her Lulu when we all were very young.

That all happened long ago and we never called her that in front of our parents, not wanting to hurt their feelings.

Robert, Linda, and Lois all came in from out of town leaving their spouses and kids back home.

I still lived in Philadelphia as did Lulu. I had a few girlfriends along the way but none of them lasted more than six months. Lulu, being only twenty-three, never had a lasting relationship of any duration, but she is still very young.

As sad as the moment was, I was asked to lead the discussion about what we do with the house!

Everyone except Lulu and I wanted to sell the house and split the money. They all thought that was the easiest thing to do.

“Do you all need the money so bad that you’re willing to give up the home we all grew up in?” Our little sister said breaking back into tears again.

Robert said, “All we want is what is fair, Lulu!”

I moved over to sit next to my little sister and gave her a big hug. Her crying got loud and intense.

To the rest of them, I said, “Why don’t you guys head on home and Lulu and I will go find out who gets what from the visit with the lawyer and find out about the last will and testament.”

They silently agreed, with everybody standing, hugging everybody else and leaving to their homes and own families, in New York, (Robert, 28), Chicago, (Linda 27) and Charleston (Lois, 25).

I pulled a handkerchief from my pocket to help Lulu wipe her eyes clear of tears.

When she doesn’t have her make up running down her face, she is a rather pretty brunette with blue eyes. She looks more like mom then Lois or Linda.

“I think you need to powder your nose,” I said giving her a kiss on the tip of it.

She actually giggled a little, got up with her purse and wandered into the downstairs bathroom.

I was wondering what dad had to give in his will. That was a subject that he would not talk about even to his oldest son. Henry and Mary started their family later than most, he was forty-two when I was born, and they were both seventy-two when the fatal accident had occurred!

Lulu came back in the room looking much better. Despite being seven years my junior her beauty has always had a deleterious effect on me!

“Now, there is the pretty sister I remember,” which made her blush and giggle.

She ran to me and gave me another big hug then said, “Henry, if we don’t have to sell the house, would it be OK with you if I moved back in and stayed in my own room like back in the olden days?”

“It wasn’t that long ago my dear,” I said to her with my arms back around her. “You only moved out when you were eighteen and I remember you saying that you never wanted to come back to this house again. Anyhow, this place is so big why would you want to live all by yourself in it?”

“Why don’t you move back here with me, big brother?” she said turning on her considerable charm!

“I like where I live,” I answered as assertively as I could without upsetting her.

“Please, I would cook for you ... I know how much you hate having to cook for yourself!” She wasn’t backing off.

“Let me think about it. The house may have to be sold depending on the status of any tax liens or any other reason. I promise, I will give it serious thought ... is that good enough for you?”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.