Well Made and Enduring
Chapter 7: Chrysalis

Copyright© 2016 by PocketRocket

Monday was easier. Several of their group were returning to New Hampshire. Packing and organizing the baggage gave Elspeth something to do. Dr. Richards, Christine at her side, saw them to the cars and waved as they departed. The drive to Newark started to put some distance between Elspeth and her feelings. Unlike the others, Elspeth was not returning directly. Her flight to Boston departed first. Much to her surprise, Elspeth received teary goodbye hugs from Vivian, Harshini, and Jolene. Michael and Jasper were only slightly more restrained. Jasper said he would be glad to take her dancing anytime.

That proved ironic. It was on the flight to Boston that Elspeth discovered the first of the dance videos from the wedding. It was of Elspeth and Jasper doing the Turkey-trot, while Francine Martel called the step. Before she picked up her bags, Elspeth found four more. Somewhat surprisingly, she made it out of the airport without anyone identifying her. It was, after all, only thirty-six hours after the event.

The anonymity changed the moment she stepped through the door of her parent’s home. It quickly became apparent that Elspeth was a minor celebrity among the staff. This was a novel experience but nothing major. What shocked Elspeth was Grandmother. Adele Cabot was many things, but a Youtube fan was not on the list. None-the-less, she had not only heard of Elspeth’s dance videos but approved of them.

For the first time in memory, Elspeth enjoyed the obligatory time with her family. Far from being the square peg in a round hole, her cousins sought her attention. It was heady stuff for a while. The attention eventually waned, but Elspeth detected a shift in the familial order. Because she had accomplished something of note, she advanced in pecking rights. Once, that would have been all Elspeth cared about.

That summer, it was the furthest thing from her mind. Elspeth wanted to return to Hanover. Though the fall session would not be starting for weeks, she made the move and waited for Dr. Richards’ return. To occupy her time, she did countless searches for any shred of news of Dr. Richards and the doings in New Jersey. Traces were scarce but Elspeth was able to piece together a timeline. Much of the summer, Dr. Richards had supervised the modernization of the old house. Electrical lines, temperature control, and internet access were the least of it. Articles would appear in two architectural journals.

There was also a business aspect. Richards Enterprises formed a new division, Digital Arts. Sheila Schwartz-Richards, i.e. the bride, became Vice President and the head of the new division. To make her life easier, the manor acquired a fully functional home office. Having interacted with the bride, Elspeth understood. This was a woman who valued her privacy. Dr. Richards stayed close to make sure it was protected. That loyalty was something Elspeth devoutly wished for herself.

Though the weeks were torture, all things pass. June was gone and July was half over when Dr. Richards emailed the news of her engagement to the towering German, Lars Gunter. Following the announcement, Dr. Richards stated she would be returning to campus in two days and asked Elspeth to pass the word along. It was like a drink of water on a hot day. Elspeth found the task both energizing and fulfilling. She carried it out in her usual over-thorough manner, then spent the day fidgeting. Finally, she saw Dr. Richard’s distinctive blue BMW and rushed to the department offices.

Elspeth was too late. Dr. Richards had barely stopped by, leaving a storm in her wake. Most people still thought of the old Dr. Richards—the one with no bra, torn T-shirts, and horrible posture. The new look came as a shock. For her part, Elspeth was shocked that anyone remembered the old look. That wasn’t Dr. Richards. Not anymore. Elspeth’s search intensified.

They still managed to miss each other for over an hour. It was frustrating. In desperation, Elspeth was about to check with Dr. Richards’ thesis adviser when she saw a familiar ankle-strap pump extending past a desk. It was as if she were teleported the next ten feet.

To say they embraced would be a charming understatement. Elspeth crashed into Dr. Richards, who was braced for the impact. Elspeth buried her face in a peach colored silk top while Dr. Richards stroked her hair. Presently they became aware that the other occupants of the room were staring. It slowly dawned on Elspeth that people still thought she hated Dr. Richards. Blushing deeply, Elspeth stepped back.

Dr. Richards came to her rescue. She explained to Drs. Steele and Harrigan (who was sitting in another chair) that things had changed. This extremely obvious truth put the change in her relationship to Elspeth in perspective. With no additional preamble, Dr. Richards produced a stack of invitations. One was to Dr. Steele. Nine others she gave to Elspeth to convey to the other members of the wedding group.

This gave Elspeth something to do, but not before gossip. In a reversal of their morning meetings, Dr. Richards updated Elspeth on many things. Evaine had gone to Pennsylvania with the Amish. Dr. Richards would personally drove up to retrieve her. In Elspeth’s mind, that was to insure Evaine actually came back. Conrad and Kerin had made a significant find in the Richards’ family papers. They celebrated by announcing their engagement. For Harshini the proper term was betrothed, to a former British Army soldier who worked for Richards’ security. Elspeth drank it all in, then set about delivering the invitations.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.