Well Made and Enduring - Cover

Well Made and Enduring

Copyright© 2016 by PocketRocket

Chapter 3: New Jersey

The next day was a madhouse. The wedding theme was the early 20th century, including fitted dresses and corsets. Once word leaked, the whole Humanities program wanted in on it. Cutting down to just twelve graduate students was non-trivial. Dr. Richards hand-picked about half the crew. Elspeth assured her position by getting there early and refusing to leave. It offered many opportunities to make dry comments on the benefits of planning.

Dr. Richards’ revenge was to hand Elspeth a packet of travel plans and telling her to get everyone on the vans to the airport. Once she had assured herself that Elspeth knew who, what, where, and when, Dr. Richards made a full stop. Looking Elspeth directly in the eye, Dr. Richards asked, “Will you do it?”

It was the same penetrating gaze that had searched Elspeth years before. As before, Elspeth yielded to it. As before, Siobhan Richards walked away, leaving Elspeth a mess. However, she was a mess with an assignment. Elspeth was nothing if not organized.

Everyone was at the regional airport on time. Elspeth even warned some of the girls that their luggage would not make the flight. Credit cards came out. The group boarded with Elspeth coming last. She had once lost a cousin at Logan Intl. Airport. It was not an experience she intended to repeat.

The scene at Liberty Intl. Airport showed that Dr. Richards was less organized. Everyone went to the baggage claim and scattered. Instructions were for two bags. In one case that became seven bags. In another, it was two full sized trunks. Of the twelve, only three had complied. The rest were upset that there was no capacity to keep the bags with the owners. Credit cards came out again.

Eventually, much of the baggage was crammed into a Suburban. Two cabs were hired to carry six of the people. Elspeth shook her head as she climbed into the van. She was justified when one of the cabs, then the other, turned off into nightclub parking lots. One would make it to the motel. One never did.

Morning brought more revelations. Dr. Richards was not going to be joining them that day. She was due in the City for a wardrobe fitting. Instead, four large men were giving instructions and taking no shit in return. The nine remaining grad students were hustled through breakfast and out to the site. They were put to work helping with the cleaning and furniture moving. It was bad enough for Elspeth and the others from the Suburban. The other three were hung over, two quite badly. About eleven o’clock, Conrad threw up all over himself. He was cleaned with a garden hose.

The night before, Elspeth had been critical of everything. That morning, everyone else was being critical, so Elspeth took a back seat. As the day rolled on, she began to appreciate the boot camp approach. Through their tasks, the crew became familiar with the lay of the house and the grounds. They learned who was in charge of what. They learned the daunting scale of the task. Most importantly, they were present when the carousel arrived.

Every event has a signature. Most are small and cramped, but some are like John Hancock on the Declaration of Independence. This would forever be the Merry-Go-Round wedding. The group forgot their complaints as they considered the implications. It was massive and loud. Everything would have to be routed around it. Practical questions abounded. The group was even allowed input on the placement.

Not long after that, their ultimate boss showed up. C. Sean Richards was CEO of a billion-dollar private firm. It showed. He wasted no time on pleasantries. Instead, he told them to find a stopping place. Beer, soda, and pizza were coming. They could discuss the division of labor as they ate. Dr. Richards, it appeared, was still in Brooklyn. Mr. Richards asked for a stand-in for the morning. Elspeth was taking notes. Much to her surprise, she was selected as team leader.

It was still early, but the day had been difficult. They had been rousted at six-thirty. After breakfast, they were worked ten hours, with only a short break at lunch. Even after the pizza dinner, everyone was back at the motel and in bed by ten. Six-thirty still came very soon, but by seven-thirty everyone had food ordered at the Waffle House. Elspeth passed out some paperwork she had been given. After the meal, she picked it up, then went to the restroom.

Moments later, Elspeth emerged from the washroom, hunting in her purse for a pen. She heard Dr. Richards familiar voice. Glancing up, Elspeth dropped her purse and kicked it, spilling the contents everywhere. The person speaking could not be Siobhan Richards. Only when the woman glanced at the floor did Elspeth notice the mess her purse had made. The woman’s smile widened to a grin.

It was impossible. This woman stood straight and radiated authority. She was at least two inches taller and twenty pounds lighter than Dr. Richards. The hair could work since it was long and black, but uncharacteristically clean and brushed. The clothes would work, torn jeans and a T-shirt, but the shoes were wrong. This woman wore Naturalizer sandals with a tall heel. It could not be Dr. Richards, but it was. Elspeth felt light-headed.

Fortunately, Dr. Richards ignored her. Instead, she told the group to get back to the house and get started. Dr. Richards would be following as soon as she found some suitable shoes. That caused a laugh. Prior to that day, Dr. Richards signature fashion statement had been mismatched Army boots. The heeled sandals looked good on her but they were not suitable for grassy hills. There were a couple of lingering grins, but everyone understood it was a valid reason.

Contrasting the previous day, no one told them where to go. Everyone looked at Elspeth. Frightened half speechless, Elspeth pulled out her notebook and reminded everyone what they commented needed doing. Most of the others found this sufficient and went to get started. Only three remained. Evaine wanted to work with the Amish, but they had not yet arrived. Jasper was at loose ends because his area, history, had already been co-opted by Conrad and Kerin. The group’s resident foodie, D. Douglas Danvers, never made it to the motel. Mr. Richards had mentioned a catering company. Elspeth suggested that Jasper start with catering and food service. Jasper went off to investigate.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.