Trading Hells - Cover

Trading Hells

Copyright© 2016 by MadMcAl

Chapter 11

Kate’s “What the hell is that?” ripped me out of my reverie, and when I opened my eyes I immediately understood it. We were nearing the fortress and on top of the west wing was a big lump. It took me a moment to identify it.

“Ah, it seems we have found the Owl. I wouldn’t have thought that a grav ship could land on a building.” Too bad Ernie had to make trouble, or he could have gotten his ship back right this minute.

Then we drove into the garage. As we were moving into the group area I stopped Kate for a moment.

“Do you want to come with me when I get back to Walker?”

She looked at me for a moment and then asked back: “Do you want me to?”

“Yes, I would like that very much. I ... still don’t fully trust them yet. Way too much that can go wrong.”

She nodded. “In that case, yes, I will come with you.”

That eased my mood considerably. “Thank you. You probably can’t understand what that means to me.”

When we entered the mess room only Christine was present, and I made a beeline toward the synthesizer. Christine called me: “Hey, Red. We have a problem.” Of course that sentence made me flinch, and I felt a sudden urge to punch something, anything. I slowly turned toward her, and sighed.

“Please tell me it is nothing serious.” She had a serious expression.

“That depends on your definition of serious. One of the slaves...” She visibly struggled for the right words.

“When we asked her what she would do if we removed the collar she told us she would kill herself. We don’t know what to do.”

That felt like a hit in the stomach. I had hoped that none of them turned violent, that we could help them. Now that...

While I frantically thought about a solution that was not forthcoming I turned to Kate, the Synthesizer, Christine again and finally to the door.

“Damn. I so don’t have time for this shit now. We can’t ... shit ... I can’t concentrate on that now. I have to be back at the clinic in 40 minutes.”

With that I turned back to the synthesizer.

“We can talk later about it, but right now I have to run just to stand still. Kate, do you want something?” The last part I called back over my shoulder.

“No, I will make something for myself when you are done. I have more time.” Too true that. I made myself a pretty generic sandwich. Even with all the different flavoring choices this stuff still tasted all the same. The underlying algae paste could maybe be prodded into different textures, consistencies and forms, but the taste ... no comment. At least it was nourishing. In time I would have to organize real food.

With the sandwich in hand I moved toward the lab. There I found Darren collaring one of the slavers.

“Hey, Veronica, we have a...” I interrupted him. “Yes, I know, but I don’t have any time right now. I have to get back to Walker in less than 40 minutes.”

I sat down at one of the consoles, and began to sort out the programming, schemata and recipes for nanites and their various medical applications I had, first by generation then by capabilities. At the same time I sent a bot to fetch my nano fab, some empty OPB-drives, had the computer here download the memory of Frankel’s nano fab and wrote a step-by-step manual for Nicolins’ nano therapy on my cranial board, occasionally taking a bite. When the bot arrived with my nano fab I jumped up and had it placed in the utility room of the lab, where I also found Frankel’s fab. I reviewed the download of Frankel’s recipes and while I supervised the bot set up my fab. When my fab was operational I loaded the design for the most versatile nanites I had, and started a production run for half a liter of them. That should be enough for three or four weeks. At the same time I cleared the memory of Frankel’s fab and reinstalled the basic operation system. Then I had the bot dismount it. It was obvious that I would need to bring the material tanks too, so I called another two bots, to help bring the whole system to the van.

Then I rushed out towards the console, and incidentally my half eaten sandwich, only to find my way partly blocked. The others, including five of the six slaves and exclusive Kate were standing there.

“Hey, Veronica, what got your panties in a twist?”

I ignored Marc’s taunt, and moved through them to the console.

“No time. Have to rush. Will talk later.” With that I dived back into the sorting. Now that I had seen what type I had to work with, I reduced the recipes to what the fab could handle, which was sadly not particularly much. After a - very - short contemplation I decided to reduce the lower end too, and have Dr. Schaeffer concentrate on the optimal nanites he could make. I finally finished the manual and sent it over to the console, while the bots began moving the fab out of the utility room. While I searched for the user manual of Frankel’s fab somebody exclaimed:

“Hey, what is that?” Without turning around I answered: “That is Frankel’s nano fab.”

Exclamations sounded behind me, as apparently a nano fab really was something special.

I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Hey, what are you doing with it?” “I will give it to Benjamin Walkers doctor, so that he can use it in his clinic.” I grabbed one of the OPB sticks and copied the user manual and recipes onto it. I decided to use another stick for the manual and recipe for Nicolins’ therapy to make it easy to find, even if I wasted nearly four EB doing so, as I found out I had not told the bot to bring me the smallest drives and so it had brought me two of my biggest. Two 64TB sticks would have been more than enough, but I just did not have the time.

I was rather rude and forcefully turned around, and saw Darren standing above me.

“What do you mean you will give it to Walkers doctor? Do you have any idea what a nano fab is worth?”

I shook my head.

“Honestly? No, but I assume the price is rather inflated and will be falling hard in the months to come.”

I tried to turn back to the console, but he kept me pointed towards the others.

“Did it not occur to you that one of us might have wanted it?”

What about ‘No time’ did they not understand?

“It is a piece of crap. The only reason I am giving it to Doc Schaeffer and not just scrapping it is that he has none. If one of you wants a nano fab then I will make him or her one as soon as I have made the tools to do so but for now I need the space for my nano fab that is six generations newer. And now, as I already told you, I don’t have time now.” I shoved his hand away and turned back to the console. The data transferred and I inserted the other stick to copy the Nicolins-therapy.

At the same time I ordered another four dozen bots. A look at the watch showed me that I had just enough time to release the building pressure and then had to move out again.

After I took both sticks and grabbed a handful of wrist controllers, I nearly walked into the solid wall of the others, who looked rather bewildered.

I suppressed a sigh.

“Ok, short version, I have the opportunity to show Walker what I can do, and in the process save his ass. That in turn will make our position here quite secure but this opportunity is time sensitive, because Walker is dying from CRS. Any minute could be his last, until I can get the therapy to him. The rest we will talk about later, as I don’t have time!“ I shoved through between Natalie and Christine and run towards the toilet, and a few minutes later to the garage. There I found Kate watching the bots secure the last of the load into the van.

“I take it we won’t use the sedan this time?”

“Yup, you got it. We need to deliver this nano fab.” I jumped into the passenger seat of the van, with Kate taking the driver’s seat.

The drive back to Walker’s HQ was no different than the other two drives, except that this time we stopped in front of the clinic.

I took the ½l bottle of nanites in my hand and entered the building, where Doc Schaeffer already awaited me.

“Ah, there you are. Are those the nanites for the therapy?” He waved towards the bottle.

I nodded, and continued towards him.

“Yes. It should be enough for three, maybe four weeks. I did not have time to set precise parameters yet.” I gave him the bottle.

“If you have some strong men, I have the old nano fab in a van outside. Just don’t expect me to carry it.”

He was looking at the clear liquid inside the bottle with an obvious sense of wonder. Then he looked at me.

“So we don’t really need for you to provide the nanites, right?”

I shook my head and gave a sad smile.

“I would strongly suggest that you use these nanites for the therapy. The nano fab I’m giving you is better than nothing, but it is still only a 2nd gen and not an especially good one at that. It can make you 3rd gen and a few of the simpler 4th gen nanites. What you are holding in your hand are 12th gen nanites. If you use the nanites you can make yourself now for the therapy it will probably reduce the effectiveness of the treatment by 50% or more.”

That shook him up.

“Your fab is so much superior? Would it then not be better to place your fab here?” I had to chuckle at that.

“Depends how you see it. For you and your clinic it may be better, but honestly, for Mr. Walker it would be disastrous. I need at least 10th gen nanites for the bio-sheathing to work. Using anything less than 12th gen would increase the time needed for the adaption extensively.” I shook my head a bit. “Also, to be frank, it is my nano fab. I built it myself. And I have an aversion against giving away things I see as mine.” Then I smiled at him.

“Don’t worry! As soon as I can I will build you an 8th gen fab like mine. But for that I would have to ask for some remuneration. Not as much as a nano fab apparently costs here, but it will still not be cheap. This one is on the house so to speak. Seems to me that if you are fast enough you can sell the 2nd gen for most of the price I would take for the 8th gen. Unless, of course, if somebody spills the beans that I can build them. But time is a bit pressing. Would you call Mr. Walker so that we can begin, please?”

“He never left here. I have sedated him a bit more, or he would have gone through the roof.” He laughed a bit.

“You got him spooked. Well, at least he listens now. Before, he just was going on until he dropped.”

That made sense. With only weeks to live and virtually no chance of survival, why bother with going slow?

I followed Schaeffer to the examination room. Walker as well as a few of his body guards were there.

I sat down opposite him, and studied his appearance. He looked beat, and a bit out of it, but he focused on me immediately.

“You know that we did not finish the negotiations, right?” Oops.

“Oh ... you are right. Sorry, that was totally derailed.” Damn ... I hoped that this would not bite me in the ass.

“We can continue now. Good for you that I was the one who derailed it.” I was tempted to continue now, oh how was I tempted. But I decided that in the long run I would be better off if I did not abuse the situation.

“I am sorry, but I think you are not in a condition to continue negotiations. You are drugged and I am working at saving your life. I fear that if we negotiate now it could sour any relationship we might build later.” I thought a moment.

“How about I pay you a normal tribute for me and my people until I replace your heart and you are out of immediate danger? We can negotiate then.”

He nodded, slowly, before he answered. “You seem to have thought about everything, huh? What if I don’t make it? You thought about that?”

I sighed. “Of course I have thought about that. It is a distinct possibility. But in that case any negotiations with you are moot anyway. And frankly, with what Dr. Schaeffer knows about your condition if I only manage to keep you alive for four or five weeks I will have proven my worth. Not as much as if I manage to save you but still.”

Then I had to grin.

“You have also to consider that if I manage to fix you that your predisposition towards me will likely be quite a bit more favorable than today.”

That brought a grin on his face too. “Yes, I think that is a logical expectation. You planned on this?”

“Not really possible. Until two hours ago I had no idea you have CRS. But I won’t waste an opportunity like that if I can help it. Now, please accept that I have no idea what an adequate tribute is, so if I lowball it, it’s not intentional or an attempt to insult you. How is 1000 per month and person? Plus 5k for the business?” He thought for a moment, and then nodded.

“Until this situation is resolved either way that’s all right. We will negotiate further if I survive this.”

He held out his hand, and I gripped it.

“Now, not to make any pressure, but in your condition any minute is valuable, so we should start the therapy.”

I stood up, and turned towards Dr. Schaeffer.

“We need a treatment room with a big console, so I can show you what to look out for.”

Then I turned back to Walker.

“It would be better for you if we knock you out. For the first 30 to 90 minutes every movement is bad.”

He let out a small laugh.

“You can be really bossy, you know that Kitten?”

Kitten? It took me a moment to process what just happened.

“Uh ... Kitten?”

He showed a toothy grin.

“Yeah, you are tiny, cute and look quite cuddly. But your tiny teeth and claws are quite sharp.”

What the ... where did that come from? Cuddly? CUDDLY? And where did he get the idea that my claws were tiny? I think I stood nearly a minute there dumbfounded and watching him grin. Then I got it. Apparently he was really doped up. I looked at the grinning body guards, the equally smiling Dr. Schaeffer and then let my head hang down.

Seems I had just gotten a new nickname. I hoped to hell it would not stick.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.