The Caveman
Chapter 63

Copyright© 2016 by Colin Barrett

I will graduate today.

Almost it did not happen. I have given some of my on-line credits to the college over time, but there were too many; I used only the ones needed for me to take higher-level courses. So this semester, when my schedule was set so that they couldn’t restrict my classes, I gave them all of the others at one time.

The dean was very unhappy about it. He called me in to tell me he did not believe it was “appropriate” for me to graduate after only two years. I told him that I have enough credits and there is no reason for him to withhold my diploma, but he was still reluctant.

“You’ve missed out on the whole college experience,” he said. “College isn’t just about credits and courses, it’s about the full process of higher education. Two years is simply not enough exposure. Perhaps next year, after you’ve had a little more time with us...”

I see no reason to tolerate this man’s foolishness longer. I tell him I will go to court with lawsuit if he doesn’t allow me to graduate. I have spoken of this with Linda, and she says I will win easily.

“Is this how you wish for your college to be seen?” I demand. “As a greedy institution that will not allow students their diplomas until they have paid a certain minimum amount of tuition? Will you withhold what I have earned in this unreasonable way?”

Even then he did not relent until he received a telephone call from Irving. Irving made it while I was in his office and put it on speaker phone for my entertainment.

When he was put through, which was quickly, he went immediately to the purpose. “Dean Clanton, I understand that there is some problem with the graduation of Hugo Calvalli.”

“Well, it’s not a problem, Mr. Thallberg, I’ve told Hugo he’s on track to graduate next year, a full year ahead of his class,” came Clanton’s voice.

Next year?” Irving asked querulously. “My information is that he’s completed his course requirements. Why won’t he graduate this year?”

“He’s only been with us two years. And his credits are a little ... irregular.”

“Irregular how?” Irving snapped. “I believe all are from accredited institutions.”

“Yes, but ... well, sir, the school has its standards to maintain, as I’m sure you can appreciate.”

“In what manner will Mr. Calvalli’s commencement violate those standards?”

“Sir, I told you, he’s only been with us two years,” Clanton protested. “How does it make us look if we confer a four-year degree on a student who’s taken only half that amount of time to complete it?”

“A lot better, I would think, than to arbitrarily withhold that degree from one who has not only done the work but has, I believe, a perfect academic record,” Irving said. “Now I trust that this may be cleared up and Mr. Calvalli’s commencement may proceed without it being necessary for me to make another call, this one to Dr. Cavinagh”—the president of the university.

“I— I—” Clanton stammered. Then he tried for a comeback. “Sir, this is the second time you’ve intervened on behalf of this student. May I ask what is your special interest in Hugo Calvalli?”

“Yes, the second time,” Irving agreed. “Neither should have been necessary. But of course you may ask that, I believe you just have.” And he broke the connection.

“He can ask, but I feel no obligation to answer to pompous idiots,” he grinned at me. “‘Standards to maintain.’ ‘How does it make us look?’ What an ass! I apologize for the school, Hugo. You’re an extraordinary man, you deserve recognition, not obstruction.”

“Thank you,” I told him.

“Let me know if he gives you any further grief. Cavinagh’s a good friend, he’ll take care of it if that fool makes any more trouble.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.