Contractual Obligations
Chapter 13: A Lunch Date

Copyright© 2016 by Freddie Clegg

She could not, Allison decided, put it off any longer. She had decided that she would like things to progress. That meant one thing. A discussion with Lionel was needed. He, it seemed to Allison, had been very patient but now it was time to settle things between them.

She stood in the corridor outside his office gathering her thoughts. Portraits of earlier partners in the firm peered down from the walls. Serious looking men in serious suits seemed to gaze down at Allison as if taking a dim view of what was now going on in the company they had founded. She knocked on the door of Lionel’s office, feeling anxious about the possible outcome of the encounter and excited by the sense of transgression she felt from knowing their shared secret in this most conservative of settings.

“Come!” Lionel’s request took on a rather specific meaning for Allison in her aroused state. She gulped back her response and opened the door. She couldn’t tell if Lionel’s “Ahh” was an encouragement or not.

“I think we should talk.” Allison waved his note at him. Lionel’s eyes widened as he recognised the paper. He looks terrified, she thought. Was he scared, perhaps, that she was about to expose him? She had worked out exactly how she intended to handle the situation. She was determined to combine June’s advice with her own sense of wanting to proceed slowly.

She spoke quietly but determinedly, not leaving Lionel any opportunity to interrupt her. “But I don’t think this is the place to do it.” She had no intention of repeating the incident from their first encounter when they had been interrupted with Lionel concealed under the desk. “We can meet for lunch,” she paused for a moment, Lionel looked startled, “if you like.”

“Oh. Well. Yes, of course.” Lionel responded. “Shall I book...”

“No, don’t.” Allison had no intention of getting sat down for a long lunch. She was keen to have somewhere that, if all went badly, they could go their separate ways without having to stare at each other over an unwanted desert course. “Be outside at two o’clock if that fits with your appointments.” Lionel nodded, compliantly. “And then follow me.”

Lionel looked puzzled for a moment and then seemed to shrug off any doubts he may have had. “All right,” he said.

“Good,” Allison answered, pleased with how she had handled things. She left him to what she imagined would be a morning’s uncertainty. She was a little surprised at herself for finding the thought so amusing.

By two o’clock, Allison reasoned, lunch places would be a bit quieter, allowing the two of them some privacy. She didn’t see Lionel as she came out of the office building and walked down the flight of steps but, by the time she reached the corner of the street a hundred yards later, she was aware of the sound of footsteps behind, keeping pace with her as she strode along.

Eventually she felt that she was far enough from the office; that she was unlikely to bump into anyone she knew. She turned into a sandwich bar, had a brief exchange with the server and made her choice of food and drink before she took her place on a stool at the far end of the counter that stretched along one wall.

A few moments later she heard a quiet voice say, “Could I join you?”

Allison looked around. Lionel, looking nervous, was standing beside her holding a tray with his own sandwich and a small bottle of water. “Yes, of course,” she said. “Sit.” she patted the seat of the stool alongside feeling like she was inviting a puppy to join her.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.