Butlered! - Cover

Butlered!

Copyright© 2016 by Gordon Johnson

Chapter 25

Breakfast seemed a trifle unreal, with Mr Dawes not present. Mrs Dawes and Miss Catherine also seemed to be uneasy, so as the ladies prepared to leave the table, I came along to ask, “Mrs Dawes, have you any plans for yourself or Miss Catherine to visit Mr Dawes?”

“What?” She seemed unsure of herself. Catherine chipped in, “I would like to visit Daddy, and cheer him up if possible, Mummy.”

“Oh? Well, if you want to, my dear, I suppose Jeeves could take you, but I want Jeeves to remain with you during your visit. Is that acceptable?”

“Of course, Mummy. I will be delighted to have Jeeves acting as my escort.”

Mrs Dawes did not spot the double meaning of these words, and took them at face value. “That will relieve me of that responsibility, for I need to sit and think, this morning. When do you want to go?”

Catherine looked over to me. “Is there an official visiting time, Jeeves, like in hospitals?”

“Not as far as I am aware, Miss. If one is not actually charged with a crime, one has to be released after 24 hours at maximum. If Mr Dawes is not charged, he should be home tonight. If he is charged, then he will probably be remanded in prison until the court hearing. Naturally, he can apply for bail, which will probably be granted, with conditions like not contacting other persons associated with the charge.”

“Then let’s go this morning, Jeeves. How about leaving at ten?”

“That sounds reasonable, but I shall phone the police to confirm the arrangement, in case he is being questioned this morning.”

I did so, and was told they were waiting for information, and it would be after lunch before he was questioned again. I informed Catherine of the good news, and we set off for the police station.

Once we arrived, I informed the desk sergeant (not Blenkinsop today), that I was Miss Catherine’s chaperone today, and was instructed to stay with her at all times. The sergeant looked me up and down, and demanded, “Name?”

“Jeeves, sergeant.”

“Is that first or second name, sir?”

“Only name, sergeant. It is a professional requirement of all Jeeves and Company butlers.”

“Weird, but as long as you can be identified is all that matters.”

“My identity can be confirmed by my company, sergeant.”

“Okay.” He hesitated. “Jeeves, you said. Blenkinsop told me about you, sir, so you are a known factor. We’ll leave it at that.”

“Thank you, sergeant. May Miss Catherine and myself see Mr Dawes, please?”

We were led through to the interview room, where Dawes was sitting at a table, looking bored. He perked up when I appeared, and when he saw Catherine, his face lit up.

“Catherine! You came to see me. Wonderful.”

“Of course I did, Daddy. You are my father, and I have responsibilities and so on. I felt I should come and cheer you up. Jeeves is with me for the visit, as my chaperone, though I don’t expect the police would bother me.”

“They wouldn’t dare, Catherine, but it was a wide choice to bring him.”

“It was Mummy’s idea, actually, but I approved of it. I need to get used to being with him.”

Dawes blinked his surprise, and looked at me. I added, “Miss Catherine and I have an understanding, sir, looking at things in the longer term.”

He smiled. “Good man. See you look after her properly, then.”

Catherine was confused. “You are happy with me being with Jeeves long term, Daddy? I wanted to bring it up with you, gently. We haven’t decided on marriage, yet. I am still young.”

“I have already given Jeeves to know that should you two become an item, I would not object. He is a good man, Catherine, and you need a good man beside you.”

She stood, walked round to him, and gave him a hug. “Thank you, Daddy. I hoped you would be like that. My Jeeves is not a menial; he is a professional man worthy of respect, and he has my respect already.”

She walked back to her chair, and went on, “I am prepared to give him my love, and he says he reciprocates.”

Dawes grinned. “Yes, that is the sort of language he would use!”

“Now, Daddy, Jeeves tells me the police either have to charge you or release you within 24 hours. Any indication of which is on the cards?”

“Uncertain. It depends on whether they see me as an innocent bystander, or an integral part of a crime. I am still putting my case, so I hope to be released late afternoon. If I am, I will phone for Jeeves to come and collect me.”

“And if not, sir?”

“If not, they will charge me and either put me in prison on remand, or grant me bail until the magistrate’s court hearing; so I understand.”

“I should seek bail in such circumstances, sir. Remaining at home is much more comfortable.”

“I agree, Jeeves. Now, unless the police have invited you to lunch here, you should see Catherine home safely and see that Mrs Dawes is eating properly. She was a little distraught last night.”

“She is coping well, sir, under the circumstances.”

He stood up, gave Catherine a fatherly hug and kiss, saying, “Make a start on your life with Jeeves, Catherine, but not too fast at present.” He smiled at his little joke.

I nodded to him, and escorted Catherine out of the room. The door had no sooner closed than she burst into sobs. I held her steady until she stopped.

“Sorry, Jeeves. I thought I could deal with him as a formal parent, but I found myself seeing him as my Daddy. I am so soppy, Jeeves. Sorry.”

“It was a perfectly natural reaction, Catherine. No matter what other way you view your parents, they are still Daddy and Mummy, and you will have that reaction at the thought of leaving him, possibly for a long time. Work on the basis that he will be back tonight.”

“You know how to encourage me to see the bright side, Jeeves. Thank you.”

We made our way back home, and once in the front door, she rushed to find her mother and give her a hug as well; her mother was surprised at this affectionate embrace. I left her to it, and concentrated on lunchtime preparations, on which Jennifer had made a good start.

Late afternoon, the phone rang and I answered. It was Dawes.

“Jeeves, I am getting out on bail. They have charged me as an accessory to forgery, but my lawyer says there is a good chance of getting off if I just look like a fool. Come and get me, Jeeves. Tell chef I need a decent meal when I arrive.”

I alerted chef, then drove to the police station and collected him. He looked tired, so I reckoned he had not slept well, and the pressure was finally getting to him. I made sure he was comfortable in the back seat, and drove carefully home, so that there were no nasty bumps or swings.

We were back in time for the evening meal, so I made sure he was directed there at once, and told Mrs Hargreaves to serve him immediately, as a priority and hang with normal decorum. “Mr Dawes needs a feed, chef. Make sure he gets it; as much as he needs.”

I informed Mrs Dawes and Catherine that he had returned, on bail. Catherine looked upset – she must have thought he would get off; but Mrs Dawes simply looked resigned. I think she knew everything that had gone on out of sight.

Life returned to semi-normal, until I got a phone call. It was Mr Jeeves.

“Jeeves, I want to go over with you everything you said and did with regard to Mr Dawes’ offence. Come into the company offices ASAP to go over it again. I will send a car for you at once. Tell Mr Dawes that you have been suddenly recalled to discuss possibly illegal activity on your part.”

I reported to Dawes and passed this on.

“I am sorry, sir, but my company is concerned that I might have got myself involved in the crime you are charged with.”

He sighed, looking despondent. “Is it not enough that the rest happens to me, but you suffer as well, Jeeves? Go with my blessing. Tell them you did nothing to contribute to my misfortune.”

I looked serious. “Thank you for your approval, sir. I shall go and get ready, for they are sending a car to collect me. It must appear dangerous to the company if they are doing that.

I must warn you, sir: should the company judge that their good name is at risk, they may withdraw me altogether. There is a clause in the contract that allows them to amend or nullify the contract if they consider their staff may be involved with criminal activity. It is a broad brush clause, so I don’t know which way it will go, sir.”

He was resigned. “Life is never predictable, Jeeves. Let me know the outcome.” He had another thought: “Will this affect Catherine?”

“Not as far as I am aware, sir, as that relationship is a private one. However, the company might see it differently, and I have to give them all the facts to maintain my personal integrity.”

“I see that. Well, off you go.”

I bowed and left, to prepare for the outdoors, and to warn Jones of the expected car, and why. I reckoned I still had fifteen minutes before the car would be here. The road traffic of London never lets up.

I was right. It was twenty minutes later when the car arrived at the gates.

Jones informed me, “It is Frobisher again, Jeeves. Why would they send her?”

“I suspect to keep the knowledge of this situation in as few heads as possible, Mr. Jones. It is good security practice, you should note.”

“Hell, yes, you are right.” He agreed. “Restrict knowledge to those that have the need for it. You sure know a lot about security, Jeeves.”

I almost panicked at this unwanted observation, but smoothly rejoined, “One of the many aspects of butler training, Mr Jones. Looking after your client is important, don’t you think?”

“I do, Jeeves. Your training is pretty good, I must say.”

“Thank you, Mr Jones. It is nice to be appreciated.”

The doorbell sounded. “I must go, Mr. Jones. I don’t know when I will be back.”

I walked out to the car, and got in the back seat. Frobisher acted correctly, as the company driver, and we set off. As soon as we reached one of the parks, she turned in and parked. This was her chance to join me in the back seat, and we welcomed each other with enthusiasm.

After we had done some kissing and cuddling, I told her, “Catherine and I had some time together, and she allowed me to caress her breasts. Do you think we can indulge in that as well, my love?”

She grinned. “Took you long enough to get round to it, John! Of course you can, my darling man.” She opened her business suit to make it easier for me, and we resumed our kissing as my hands roamed over her frontage. She seemed to like it; I did too.

After a few minutes, she disengaged herself. “I have to get you to the company offices, John. There is a limit to how much I can explain our delay by citing traffic conditions.”

I enquired as she resumed her driving position, “Did you hear what Mr Jeeves is concerned about, darling?”

“Not really. The staff grapevine is not very porous. Security is too strict. I have heard more from the police grapevine than from the company staff.”

“Ah. What do the police think?”

“Mainly it is a question of whether you were party to Mr Dawes’ involvement in the forgery.”

“Well, I shall discuss that point with Mr. Jeeves. Thanks for collecting me, Elizabeth.”

“I love that name! You must use it more, darling. Catherine picked it correctly. I am going to enjoy having her as a co-wife, so to speak.”

“Yes. On that point, do we have to look for accommodation for the three of us?”

“Not if you don’t want to. I have a good-sized flat in one of the more down-market areas of London. My old salary would hardly pay for that, but I had an inheritance from my grandfather, so I put it into bricks and mortar. It has two bedrooms, so one of us can sleep alone if the other wants to be with you.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.