The Slow Quickstep - Cover

The Slow Quickstep

Copyright© 2016 by Kaffir

Chapter 14

Toby had to wait until early August for his results, BA Maths Hons. He wrote to his tutor. The reply was not immediate as his tutor was not unsurprisingly on holiday but it arrived a fortnight later extolling Toby’s mathematical ability, his hopes for him sitting his Masters and indeed finding a place at Cambridge to further his knowledge, to teach and also to use his ‘people skills’ to bring on undergraduates. “I can see him as the Master of a College,” he concluded.

Toby was deeply touched and wrote saying so. Allie was ecstatic.

“Perfect!” she cried. “His honest belief in you shines through. If St Paul’s don’t accept you I’ll eat my hat.”

“I didn’t know you had one,” said Toby straight-faced.”

Allie laughed. “I’ll go and buy one. Speshull but small so I don’t choke.”

Toby was called for interview by St Pauls. He saw a personnel person first to whom he mentioned his piano playing and readiness to join in musical teaching and functions, then the Head of Mathematics and finally the High Master. He stated his preference for teaching nothing less than AS Level and was accepted to start in the Autumn Term. Accommodation would be provided.

The next event was Danny’s appearance in court. He was only charged with one offence despite having committed two assaults in the attack on Allie, forced kissing and groping. The police’s legal adviser had recommended this in view of his only being eighteen years old. The Magistrates Court was unable to deal with the case and he was remanded on bail to the Crown Court for which he had to wait another six weeks.

Both families attended both court appearances but, as he pleaded guilty, Allie was not required to give evidence which was a relief to both her and Toby as well as their families. The police prosecutor virtually read out Allie’s statement which included Danny’s earlier assault. The judge was very stern with him, telling him that he had behaved appallingly and that it was only his youth that had saved him from a longer sentence. He was sent down for six months. DC Ron Bates confided to Toby after the hearing that Danny might well get a taste of his own medicine as a young man from some of the sex-starved inmates. Toby shuddered and said nothing to Allie.

Toby quickly settled in at St Paul’s and enjoyed himself. The other staff were friendly and amusing. His pupils were bright and keen and he turned out to be a gifted teacher able to explain what he was teaching in relatively simple terms. He was also able to play squash and give some coaching. He also introduced himself early on to the Head of Music and was encouraged to help coach some of the more advanced pianists; something he really enjoyed.

He managed to get home most but not all weekends and the spare room got a work out even though Sean and Leah were not at work. One blot on the landscape was Alf dying. He never lost his bounce but suddenly had a fatal heart attack while walking with Toby and Allie. He was sixteen so had not done badly. Nessa insisted on a replacement but this time they chose a three year-old pure-bred Sealyham from the Dogs’ Trust. Fortunately its previous owners had treated it properly and it was a well-balanced and affectionate dog from the outset. It was only old age that had persuaded them to give him up.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.