The Slow Quickstep
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2016 by Kaffir

Those fifteen minutes were like a lifetime to Allie. She stationed herself in the sitting-room bay window and watched. At long last Toby arrived. She watched him and his mother embrace. His father went and collected his things from the boot of the car. At last Toby turned towards their house. She raced to the front door, opened it and then just stood there, hands clasped tightly in front of her and head down. She did not dare look up at him for some reason.

Toby stopped in front of her and looked at her. Where had the bouncing, laughing girl he was so fond of gone to?

“Allie?” he asked softly.

Nothing.

“Allie sweety? It’s me ... Toby. Aren’t you pleased to see me?”

Her head and eyes came up slowly to meet his. She stared at him briefly and then leapt, her arms round his neck and her legs round his waist.

She clung almost frenziedly to him and then her grip relaxed and she kissed him, timorously almost and then frenziedly; no tongue but lips pressing, sucking.

At last she released him and their eyes were able to meet. Hers showed relief, joy and love. Difficult to discern but Toby knew her so well and could see all of them.

What did she see but concern, tenderness and caring certainly but there was something new. A warmth she had never seen before. Love! Certainly Toby had loved her before right from the baby-sitting days but this was a new love. It was a new look, stronger, more tender and ... more possessive.

Her head went forward again, not to kiss him but to lay her cheek against his. Her arms tightened round him and his round her.

Leah came into the hall ready to greet him and quickly retreated.

At last they let go of each other except that Allie immediately found Toby’s hand and led him into the sitting room and the sofa. It never crossed her mind to take him to her room.

They sat just holding hands, both hands, and looking into each other’s eyes. Neither could summon up the courage to speak for fear of breaking down nor did either of them know what to say.

At last it was Allie that broke the silence. “T-Toby, y-you s-said last n-night that y-you loved me a-and I think I c-can see it in your eyes.”

She looked pleadingly at him.

Toby could only nod before letting go of her hands and reaching for her. She fell into his arms and they clung together. Neither could say anything; just hold each other, not passionately but gently almost unbelievingly.

At length, very softly, almost timorously Toby began to stroke her back. Allie hummed in pleasure. This must have gone on for three or four minutes before Toby’s hands went to her head and gently pulled it back. He looked into her eyes and then very gently touched his lips to hers. Next he kissed each eye, her nose and then her lips once more.

“I do love you, Allie, really, really love you.”

“Last night?”

“Yes. The thought that I hadn’t been there for you filled me with pain. The fear you must have felt added to it. You should have had the strength of my love to fortify you. Then I realised that if you had been permanently injured or worse you would not have had the comfort of my love and it all came to me in a flash that you are my love, my one and only love and that I had been deluding myself for years that it was a love for a younger sister. Allie, my little precious, you’re my life.”

Allie gave but one sob and then buried her head in his neck and her body shook, not with tears or hysterical laughter but with sheer emotion. Her one big wish, her raison d’être had been realised.

Her head came up. “Does that mean we’re engaged?”

Toby could not resist it. The teasing that was their way of life surfaced. “Unofficially.”

“Why?”

“I have still to ask your father for his daughter’s hand in marriage.”

“Pompous ass! Precious pompous ass though!”

Her face was alight with happiness and love.

“What time does your father get home?”

“About six usually.”

“Half an hour or so. What do you want to do while we wait?”

“Go for a walk.”

“With Alf?”

“No. Just us. Come on. We’d better tell Mum.”

“You’d better wash your face first. It’s streaked with tears.”

“Happy tears.”

Hearing Allie thundering up the stairs Leah came in. Toby rose to his feet. She hugged him.

“Welcome home, Toby dear,” she said, “and I’m thrilled that you thought your exams went so well.”

“Thanks, Leah. I just hope it wasn’t false optimism.”

“I very much doubt it knowing you.”

Allie came bounding back. “We’re just going for a short walk, Mum, to iron Toby’s car kinks out.”

“OK, sweety. Don’t be out too long.”

“No, Mum. Just half an hour or so. Come on, Toby.”

She seized his hand and dragged him out.

Leah was unable not to notice Allie’s radiance. “Hmm,” she thought. “That looks rather more happiness than just Toby’s return.”

Allie did not walk at all. She skipped the entire way, jumping up every now and again to kiss Toby’s cheek. She never let go of his hand. Unlike her normal self though she hardly said a word but every time her eyes caught his they spoke volumes. She was ecstatic as was he. Twice he picked her up and whirled her round in sheer exuberance.

They were actually out for just over half an hour and met Sean as he emerged from the garage having put his car away.

“Hello, Toby. Welcome home! I gather you’re pretty optimistic. Well done!”

“Thanks, Sean! Fingers crossed.”

“Rubbish! You would never over-egg your chances. Hello, poppet. You’re looking pretty pleased with life too.” He grinned. “Got your ‘boyfriend’ home.”

Instead of ‘Oh, Daddying’ him Allie smiled ecstatically. Sean did not miss it.

They followed him into the house where Toby restrained Allie. “Give them a moment to say hello,” he whispered.

Allie smiled at him. “Even when you’re walking on air you’re considerate, my Toby.”

She pulled his head down and kissed him quickly but warmly.

They walked hand in hand into the kitchen. Both parents turned. Toby did not pause. His courage might have deserted him.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.