The Slow Quickstep - Cover

The Slow Quickstep

Copyright© 2016 by Kaffir

Chapter 10

Despite a restless night Allie was up early. It had been useless to try and get to sleep again. Leah was up too even though it was pretty well her normal time.

I’m taking today off,” she said to Allie.

“You don’t have to do that, Mum.”

“Yes I do. My daughter is much more important to me than work.”

“Oh, Mum!”

The tears were not far away again but Leah ploughed on.

“What time are the police coming round?”

“I don’t know. Sometime this morning.”

“OK. Well after breakfast give them a ring.”

“Me, Mum?”

“Yes, Allie. It’s your problem. You deal with it.”

Allie’s eye widened even more. Leah was being tough on purpose though. Allie needed to take some control of everything. Of course she and Sean would be there for her all the way.

Somehow that helped Allie, as Leah had hoped. “OK, Mum.”

“Well then, the forecast’s good so I thought we might go and walk over at Upchurch and have lunch at the Thistle. Do you think Alf would like to join us?”

“Ooh yes, Mum. ‘Course he would. Great!”

Allie did not have to ring the police. They rang her at half past eight. They would be round in an hour. It was only Lindy.

She asked concernedly how Allie was feeling.

Allie smiled slightly ruefully. “OK,” she said, “but I wouldn’t rave.”

Lindy touched her hand. “It’ll get better,” she said softly and reassuringly.

Allie smiled again and nodded. “Thanks.”

She signed off the statement without comment and Lindy left.

Allie went and collected Alf. Nessa said nothing about missing her lesson the previous evening but did say that Toby sounded happy about his first exam. Allie mutedly agreed from which Nessa registered that while the two of them were still in contact Allie had said nothing to Toby about her ordeal. Not only was she pleased for Toby’s sake but also proud of little Allie who was not going to let her traumatic problem interfere with Toby’s success.

“I’m really looking forward to her becoming my daughter-in-law,” she thought and then with an inward chuckle, “Toby’s on a hiding to nothing with this girl.”

Toby’s second and third exams went well and everyone was delighted with his ecstatic email.

Nessa rang him immediately to tell him what she and Ned had agreed. Toby was horrified and immediately rang Allie.

“Allie, sweety, I’ve just heard about Danny. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I didn’t want to upset your exams.”

“Allie, thank you but you are much more important to me than they are.”

Allie could hardly speak for the lump in her throat. “No, Toby. Your exams were a one and only chance for you to do what you want to do. I could bottle things up for a few more days”.

“Allie ... Oh, my precious, little, selfless Allie! How I love you! Brave as well as selfless! Oh, Allie, you are very, very special!”

Allie managed no more than a sob. She was not sure whether it was still one of her unhappiness or of the joy at Toby’s praise and love.

“Not another five days, Allie. Dad’s picking me up tomorrow morning. We should be home early afternoon.”

That was too much for Allie. She shrieked with joy and then burst into tears.

Toby waited.

“O-oh, Toby! Oh, Toby! Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Oh Whee-ee-ee!”

Toby was speechless. He knew Allie loved him but her joy and relief that he was coming home early for her and her alone triggered something and his own eyes filled with tears.

“G-good n-night, Allie,” he stammered and signed off.

Allie sat there for a full two minutes. He’d said he loved her. He’d said she was special, very, very special and he was coming home tomorrow for her, just for her. Oh! Oh! Oh!

She crumpled in tears but they were tears of joy and happiness. She ran downstairs. Her parents were in the kitchen tidying up after supper.

“Mummy! Mummy!” she cried. “He’s coming home tomorrow!”

“Who?”

“Toby! He’s coming home early just for me! Oh, Mummy, I ... I...”

The rest was lost as she buried her face in Leah’s bosom. Leah winked happily at Sean.

“That’s wonderful, sweety.”

Allie was beyond words but her convulsive hug indicated to Leah that the breakthrough had come. She just hoped it was not Allie over-reacting.

Allie’s head suddenly came up. “Did you tell him, Mummy?”

Leah shook her head. “No, poppet.”

Allie raced next door and pressed the bell until the door was opened. It was Ned. Allie leapt flinging her arms round his neck.

“Was it you? Was it you?” she demanded.

“Was it I what?” asked Ned with a big smile.

“Told Toby.”

Still smiling Ned shook his head.

“But you’re going to pick him up.” She kissed him. “Thanks, Mr Roberts. Thank you so much.” She kissed him again and then letting him go raced into the kitchen and attacked Nessa.

“Thank you, thank you,” she whispered and then buried her face in Nessa’s neck.

Nessa hugged her back, smiled at Ned and then said softly, “We thought he’d be the best person to cheer you up.”

“Oh, yes! Oh yes!” She hugged Nessa convulsively again.

Finally she let go and stood slightly bashfully in front of Nessa.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered. “That was OTT.”

“No, Allie dear, just heartfelt. Thank you.”

Allie looked at her. She’d always known that Toby’s parents liked at her but Mrs Roberts now was looking at her with love. She flung her arms round her again but this time buried her face in Nessa’s bosom. Nessa gently stroked her back.

Finally Allie disengaged. She turned to Ned.

“Toby said you’d probably be back early afternoon.”

“I think that’s a bit optimistic, Allie. It’s a four hour journey each way so I should think we’ll be home sometime around five including a short stop off for some lunch.”

That was a disappointment and Allie was unable to hide it momentarily. She nodded understandingly. “Yes of course,” she said. “I hadn’t realised Cambridge was so far away.”

“‘Fraid so, my dear, but I promise we won’t hang about and, if we get snarled up on the M 25 on the way home, I’ll ring.”

“Thank you. Sorry for bursting in. I was just so excited ... still am!”

She gave a little jig and smiled radiantly at them before giving both a quick kiss, wishing them goodnight and then fairly dancing out.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.