The Slow Quickstep - Cover

The Slow Quickstep

Copyright© 2016 by Kaffir

Chapter 9

The police duly arrived, two detective constables in plain clothes, Ron Bates and Lindy Jefferson. They introduced themselves, smiling warmly and sympathetically at Allie who was reassured. When asked they said that they would prefer Leah not to join the interview.

Mrs Worsley led them to a nearby vacant classroom and, having checked that they could find their way back, returned to Mr Hearst’s study.

“Do you want to get off home, Ella?” he asked her.

She shook her head. “I’ll wait for her mother to arrive.”

“Thanks, Ella. I think both would appreciate it. Poor girl. She’s being very brave about it.”

“There’s a lot of character in that small person. She did have a bit of a cry earlier on but pulled herself together before we came in here.”

“I hope it doesn’t have any long term effect.”

“Same here.”

They sat in silence.

In the classroom Lindy gently explained to Allie that they needed a statement from her. Ron Bates was going to record it and bring her a transcript next day which she could alter if she wished.

Allie nodded and quietly told the story again including Danny’s previous attempt to kiss and cuddle. The police had no questions and led her back to the study.

Leah had arrived and inevitably there was a short pause while she and Allie hugged.

Lindy asked where Allie would be the next morning and was told at home. Leah gave her the address.

Mr Hearst added that she would not be required back at school for the rest of term although they would be delighted if she could make the end of term concert. Danny would not be present.

With that Mrs Worsley led the police up to see Nurse who offered them a photograph which she had printed out. She said the bruising to Allie’s cheek, lips and breast were consistent with her story.

Mrs Worsley gave them her statement as well which was corroborated by Mr Hearst. She also went and collected Allie’s music which she dropped off at her house on the way home.

The police took Danny back to the station to make his statement. That was clearly a thought out move to increase his nervousness. They would notify his parents when to collect him. Mr Hearst told him that he was suspended until further notice.

When giving his statement Danny stuck to his original story. He was questioned closely and it became apparent that Allie had in no way encouraged him. The bruises on her face and breast spoke of that. He was charged on two counts of sexual assault, one on her breasts and the other on her lips and cheek. He was also warned not to go anywhere near Allie or try to contact her. He was very sorry for himself when his father collected him.

Allie and Leah had a silent journey home. When they got there Allie turned to her mother as the tears started again.

“Mum?” she almost whispered. “You don’t think that I led him on, do you?”

“No, sweety. Not in a million years. Promise.”

Allie managed the whisper of a smile. “I thought I’d made it quite clear to him three years ago that I wanted nothing to do with him.”

“I’m sure you did.”

“So why, Mum?”

“What did Toby say to you last time?”

“That he hadn’t learnt to control his hormonal urges.”

“No change then!”

“But he’s three years older!”

“Agreed but he’s in the 1st XI and many of those boys reckon they’re God’s gift to girls. In the States they call them Jocks.”

Allie’s natural sense of humour broke through for a moment.

“Is that why they wear jockstraps?”

Leah laughed delightedly and with a measure of relief. “Monkey!” she replied.

Allie sobered up again.

“Toby’s going to be upset.”

“Yes, sweety, but not with you.”

Allie nodded but did not look reassured.

“Anyway, Allie sweety, you’ve got a piano lesson next door in ten minutes.”

“No, Mum. Not this evening. I’d be useless. Anyway, I’ve left my music behind.”

“OK. Well you go up, have shower to wash Danny off you and get into comfy clothes. I’ll tell Nessa you won’t be round.”

“Don’t tell her why”

“OK, poppet. I’ll just say you’re a bit under the weather.”

“Thanks, Mum.”

Allie dragged herself upstairs. She did not have a shower straight away but flopped on her bed and hugged her old teddy-bear tightly.

“Oh, Pooh!” she whispered. “What am I going to do? I can’t tell Toby although I know he’d comfort me but he’s in the middle of his finals and it would throw him completely. I’ve got to live with it until he gets home and that’s another eight days. Oh Pooh!”

She hugged him harder and the tears started again. It was not a sense of shame but the whole business made her feel dirty and that she was no longer fit for Toby. That made the tears pour.

“No!” she finally thought. “No! No! NO! Toby would never hold it against me. He’ll comfort me and cuddle me. Oh, Toby, my love! How I wish you were here! But eight more days!”

The tears poured again.

At length she pulled herself together as best she could and went and did as her mother had told her.

Leah, in the meanwhile had had no intention of keeping things to herself, but might be overheard if she phoned so she went next door. She told Nessa everything she knew.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.