A Matter of Life and Death - Cover

A Matter of Life and Death

Copyright© 2016 by G. J. Raven

Chapter 4: Football

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 4: Football - James was a slightly atypical, globe-trotting, sports playing, arcade loving teenager. Here's his journey from a boy to a man, through middle school to college as he learns about his strengths and weaknesses, and grows to dream about becoming a sportsman, whilst dealing with all the vagaries of life.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   mt/Fa   Mult   Teenagers   Consensual   Romantic   Drunk/Drugged   Lesbian   Heterosexual   Fiction   Celebrity   Humor   Sports  

August, 2004

"So there's this position called a placekicker right, and basically what he does is to kick the ball between the goalposts!"

"Yes, I know Kev. We have someone who does it too in rugby, except the fly-half does more than kick." I said dryly as I took out several text books from my bag and prepared to finish whatever homework I had for the week.


Shortly after starting school as a Sophomore, I realised two things had happened.

First, that I was viewing the school under a new light. Literally. Since the school had somehow replaced the lighting from the warm tones of incandescent lamps to the harsher, brighter white lights of fluorescent tubes. But apart from that, now that I had shot up in height, the view from up here, where I was, definitely proved advantageous in discreetly looking at girls. Visibly lesser obstruction in terms of my sight, greater volume of fresh air mainly. It didn't hurt that I was getting admiring looks from the ladies now that I wasn't a midget.

The second thing, was the fact that since I was no longer short, and since my acne had somewhat cleared up, I spent lesser time moping around in class. As a result, my interest in school returned. but as soon as it came, it left when the material proved not challenging enough for me.

The pace of learning we had in previous schools were far more challenging, and since we were enrolled in more prestigious schools, so too was the level of teaching and curriculum, and rightly so. That is not to say that East Boston was a slouch. It was however, limited to the pace of the slowest learner in the class, and I suppose, my inattention was noticed by my Form Teacher, Mdm. Damo.

"James, can I see you after class?"

"Oh-ho, now you're in for it, short-stuff!" said Melody.

Melody was my homeroom partner last year. Given that classroom seating at East Boston was assigned, all students had no choice as to whom they were partnered with for projects requiring partners. Assignment was usually based on last names, so I ended up with Melody Vickers as a partner and frenemy.

"I'll show you short-stuff, carrot top!" I whispered. Knowing how much she hated that term, I couldn't resist dishing it out since I knew she knew how much I hated being short last year.

Glaring at me, she aimed a sharp kick at my ankles. Wincing in pain, I stifled my surprised yelp at the kick and glared at her in return. You know what they say about red heads and anger, it's all true. Unfortunately, Melody was also one of the prettiest girls in my year, so I had let her run slightly rough-shod over me without standing up for myself last year, what with my low self-esteem. This year, with my renewed physical confidence, I had started to stand up to her only to suffer escalation in terms of physical abuse.

"Yes miss." I replied to Mdm. Daymoh, and out of the corner of my mouth, I whispered to Melody, "You know, they say that red heads are fiery in bed. And that in school, beating on someone usually means that you have a crush on them. Is all that true?"

I smirked at her reaction as she first appeared goggled at my accusation, before the tips of her ears turned red as she started to deny vehemently, "I do not like..."

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

'Saved by the bell', I thought to myself as the class started to clear. Melody stood, clearly unwilling to let me get in the last word, but obviously under the circumstances, she could only leave, glaring venomously at me.

I headed towards the front where Mdm. Damo was seated, and had already started marking the homework the class just submitted to her.

"Yes, miss? You wanted to see me?" I asked.

"Oh yes, James." She looked up, before rising to her feet.

"I've noticed that you seem very disinterested in classes this year. Is there something bothering you? Perhaps I could help?"

My face coloured as I considered her question and contemplated on answering her question without insulting her teaching methods.

"Well, I ... am bored because I already know the material." I said before continuing in a rush, "It's not like you're a horrid teacher or anything. It's just that I like to read ahead."

Mdm. Daymoh gave me a reassuring smile, "Oh, don't undersell yourself. I've notice your homework being consistently graded within the top percentile of your level. That's not just reading ahead, hmm?"

"I suppose I ought to have seen this coming. Usually when students are not challenged, they tend to be bored." She continued.

"Sorry, miss..." I attempted to explain myself.

"Don't worry about this, James. Now that we know how well you are performing, I have to ask you if you interested in testing out of this class? I'll have a chat with your other teachers as well."

Hmmm, that was actually quite a decent idea.

"Can I talk to my parents about this?" I asked.

"Yes, please. Go ahead and discuss this with your parents by all means."


Later that day, I raised the question of testing out with my parents over dinner. "Mom, Dad, a teacher at school asked me if I was keen on testing out of her class. What are your thoughts on that?"

As I asked the question, I was rewarded with the turning of the heads of all three of my family members. While Mom looked faintly surprised and pleased, Dad had a positively smug expression on his face. Meanwhile Charlie gave a shrug, and returned to stuffing his mouth.

"What do you mean..." began Mom before Dad interrupted her. "Well done, Yi An, I knew blood would tell. Your Wai Gong would be so pleased if he knew that you are as intelligent as both him, and I."

"You mean that if I were less intelligent," I paused as I tried to introduce a quiver to my lips, opening my eyes wider so as to induce tears, "you would not have been proud of me?"

Inwardly laughing at the now panicked expression on my Mom's face as she turned and began to chastise my Dad, I resisted chortling out loud at the deadpan expression on Dad's face.

"For goodness sakes' Vicky, the boy is baiting you as usual. Look at his stupid grin." He said.

I guess I wasn't as good a poker player as I fancied. As Mom turned to look at me, I quickly schooled my face into a sorrowful look as I pressed on, "Now you're even accusing my facial expression of being stupid ... how could I ever please you, Father?"

With Mom slightly suspicious already, she continued looking at me. Dad is a stone-cold bastard when it comes to reading people, so I wasn't surprised that he managed to surmise my game so quickly.

Finally, I gave in to temptation and laughed out loud. "You should have seen your face, Mom."

"Somehow I don't see the humour in this, James Alexander!"

'Uh oh, DEFCON 5 alert', I thought to myself. Two names meant slight irritation. Looking at Dad, I wasn't surprised at his slight grin. After all, the man invented, taught us, and practically made the baiting and teasing of others an art form.

Changing subjects quickly, I said, "Well, as I was saying ... my testing out of the class. What do you guys think?"

Mom was definitely in favour of me testing out. Although she wasn't too concerned over our educational progress, only caring enough that we were on track with the rest of our peers, Dad had a different take to our academics.

In his opinion, life was plain and simple. Simple physics meant that deadweight served no purpose. As much as family was family, it was slightly crucial we did not turn out to be wastrels, and unproductive individuals. How else did the Vũs maintain their business efficacy over the years? Add in the various Confucian tenets valued by the Vũs, constant improvement was, to him, a great trait to have.

"I think you should look into testing out from all your classes. In fact, I'll speak to the school on your behalf. If you have problems, then we'll look into dropping back into your current classes. Yes?"

I didn't mind since new challenges sounded far more interesting than zoning out in classes.

With that settled, Dad turned to Charlie and asked, "How about you Yi Ming, do you want to test out too?"

Charlie gaped at Dad with his mouth half open, before he managed to say, "You do know that I'm in the final year of High School, right?"

Smothering a sigh of impatience, Dad replied, "I don't see why you can't be taking some advance college classes just as well."

"What are your plans, for after school?" Both my parents looked really interested in Charlie's answer as this was the first time that such a topic had been aired.

While Charlie had decent results, he never seemed to be interested in school for learning sakes'. If I had to guess, I could foresee Charlie actually becoming a professional athlete given his natural talent and aptitude at physical activity in general. That, or becoming a professional schmoozer of some sort.

"Well, I had always assumed that you would want me to join you at the company. But if you're really asking, what I would like to do is to go to Sandhurst. Since Sandhurst doesn't accept applicants younger than 18, I figured advancing in grades was pretty pointless." he said, between bites of food.

"Are you insane? You could die! We have on-going deployments in Iraq as we speak." my Mom nearly screeched as she asked Charlie, who stoically continued to masticate the pieces of steak in his mouth. "What about Uni? Besides, why the British forces?"

"Well, for one, the only other Army I would qualify for, would be the French one through Dad. I thought I would give Sandhurst a go, just so I could go on to apply for the SAS. Besides, I would be a tad bit insane to consider the French Foreign Legion."

At that, Charlie flashed a slight smile at our parents, although I noted that it diminished slightly when he looked at Mom.

For all that we looked alike, more so now that I'm catching up to Charlie's height, I had never had aspirations toward a military life. Dad seemed quite unperturbed by Charlie's announcement. In truth, it could be because his family had a culture of military service ingrained in them, or perhaps because he grew up with distant relatives who had sought refuge with them in France after fighting in the Vietnam War, and possibly since he was slightly inured to bloodshed and violence in general. Either way, Charlie seemed quite set on heading towards a military career.

With the increasing lack of response from my Dad, my Mom grew worried, "Frans, what do you think? Tell him you forbid him to go!"

"What can we do Vicky? He will be of age soon. We can't stop him then. Besides, you Chetwynds of all people should be used to the military." he replied.

"I ... Well ... the last Chetwynd who served was in Gallipoli, and he damn near died there. It's ten times worse now!" Pursing her lips, Mom looked at Charlie.

Turning to Charlie, she asked, "Charles, I can't stop you, but I would like you to sleep on this. Who you are now, and who you will be when you're 23, would be two wholly different young men altogether. If you are truly set on going to Sandhurst, then time would make no difference to your ambition. I would even ask your Grandpa to help you get a commission with the SAS. Some more learning might help ... I ask that you seriously consider going to Uni before applying for Sandhurst!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.