Legacy of a Legend - Cover

Legacy of a Legend

Copyright© 2016 by StarFleet Carl

Chapter 55

Fan Fiction Story: Chapter 55 - Follow Martina Grize', the Dragonborn, from her entry into the realm of Skyrim, as she discovers her destiny, and eventually ... well, you'll see. I classify this as fan fiction of the Bethesda game, The Elder Scrolls V, Skyrim. There is explicit sex, but not of the stroke story variety. Disclaimer - I don't own TESV, I just play there. So the land is theirs, the choices made are mine. Note: The rape code was added due to what had happened in the past, and is discussed but not shown.

Caution: This Fan Fiction Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Fa/ft   Consensual   Rape   Romantic   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Fan Fiction   High Fantasy   War   Paranormal   Vampires   Were animal   Zombies   Incest   Mother   Daughter   Group Sex   Orgy   Masturbation   Sex Toys   Nudism   Politics   Royalty   Violence  

“Welcome to Riften. I am Maven Black-Briar, the Jarl of Riften. I’d like to say that it’s an honor to have everyone here for this auspicious occasion.”

A group of us that included all the Jarls had gone to Mistveil Keep. The tables that normally took up the dining hall had been hastily pushed to the side for room.

“I’m certain you would, but whether you will or not remains to be seen.”

“I beg your pardon? Was I not made Jarl by the Greybeards themselves, at a council that I believe you took some small part in, if I’m not mistaken. Jarl Maven Black-Briar, has a pleasant sound to it, wouldn’t you say?”

“Not particularly. More sounds like someone who has let the abuse of power and of the office go to her head. But that’s fine, it’s an error easily corrected.”

“How dare you say that to me, in my city? I could call my guards and have you arrested for your impudence. And I have a special relationship with the Dark Brotherhood as well if someone makes me especially angry. Who do you think you are, to so casually dismiss the authority of the Greybeards?”

“Who am I? Why, Maven, your spy network seems to have failed you miserably for some reason. Perhaps it’s due to most of them being connected through the former Thane of Solitude, Erikur, and his Thalmor friends. But you were at the party with the late ambassador Elenwen, the same as Jarl Siddgeir and Jarl Idgrod. Do you not recall me from it? They certainly do.”

Siddgeir looked sick to his stomach when he realized that he’d met me and what he’d told me about finery then. Idgrod smiled in remembrance of what her visions had shown her had happened that evening.

“I cannot be bothered to remember what two Jarls from the inconsequential holds do or don’t do. This is the Rift, one of the most important holds in all Skyrim.”

“Oh, I’ll grant you that having the overland trade from Morrowind and some of that from Cyrodiil passing through has given you ample opportunity to dip your fingers deep into things, removing more than just a simple tithe. But I’m afraid that time has now passed. I presume you recognize Jarl Thongvor Silver-blood of Markarth.”

She nodded, her features taut. “And of course, Jarl Balgruuf the Greater of Whiterun. Of course, you’ve dismissed Jarl Siddgeir of Falkreath and Jarl Idgrod of Morthal as being ... inconsequential. I would assume, based upon those words, that you would likewise dismiss Jarl Brina Merilis of Dawnstar. But surely even you cannot dismiss Jarl Elisif the Fair of Solitude, since it is her upcoming wedding here at the Temple of Mara that has brought all of us here.”

Maven for the first time sounded a little unsure of herself. “I’d ... heard that Jarl Elisif had already married again, to some adventurer. What, did he get killed like Torygg?”

“Oh, she didn’t marry some adventurer. She married the Dragonborn, who saved her life from a plot by ... well, that’s not important. But due to circumstances, she will also be marrying the Lady Serana, daughter of the Baroness Valerica, as the sister-wife of the Dragonborn.”

“Then I suppose congratulations are in order to Elisif and you, Lady Serana.”

“Oh, I’m not Lady Serana. This lovely vision behind me is that lucky bride. No, you’re mistaken with that ... just as you were mistaken when you worked orphan children to death in your meadery. Just as you were mistaken when you bragged about how you have the Thieves Guild in your pocket, how corruption is the rule of the day in Riften.”

Her face was red with fury. “I will not sit here and be talked to this way in my city!”

“How fortunate, then, that effective immediately, this is no longer your city.”

“How dare you say anything against what the Greybeards have ruled?”

It got deathly quiet in the hall then, as Lydia put the Jagged Crown on my head, followed by Jordris placing the robes on my shoulder. “My name is Martina Grize’. I am the Last Dragonborn. I am the High Queen of Skyrim. And I am the true Septim Empress of Tamriel, acknowledged by temples and Jarls as such.” When I said the last, the banners were suddenly produced and those in my party all went to one knee.

Balgruuf led the cheer. “All hail Martina Grize’! All hail the Dragonborn! All hail the High Queen of Skyrim! All hail the Empress of Tamriel!”

“So. Maven Black-Briar, you have acted to enrich your own pockets. That act in and of itself is not an issue. Your meadery makes a fine product. But actively working with the enemies of the realm, fomenting unrest and illegal activities against the common good when it is the duty of the Jarl to support the realm and common good, that cannot be allowed to stand. The amusing thing is this. Had you simply stayed Maven Black-Briar the merchant, then your actions, as despicable as they are, would be at worst simple crimes. But you accepted the power of the office, and with the office of Jarl comes the responsibility that goes with the rights.”

“The office and power of the Jarl of a hold come with a responsibility to the citizens of that hold. They are not your property, and the hold is not your demesne. Jarl Thongvor Silver-blood understood that in Markarth, when he found his own brother acting against the interest of the people and the realm. Thonar Silver-blood died on my blade. That shall not happen to you, though. Surgus the Black, step forward!”

He arose from where he had been on one knee. That’s an interesting change. “Please escort Maven Black-Briar to High Reach. I believe there is prison cell that needs her attention.” He started to step forward. Her bodyguard moved to intercept him.

“Maul, I would truly hate to tell Dirge that you were killed protecting a traitor to the realm. Step back.”

“You ... you know me? And my brother?”

I laughed. “I’ve met the both of you many times when I’ve visited Riften, along with many other citizens of this fair community. That’s one reason things today are going the way they are. It’s quite possible that someone who hasn’t become familiar with normal life in Riften might not ever see anything wrong here. But knowing that the former mistress of the orphanage was friends with the former Jarl of Dawnstar goes a long way towards giving some people an idea of what was considered acceptable here.”

Brina looked at me. “Oh, really? That’s ... interesting, to say the least.”

I looked over at Lydia. “She said it, not I.”

Maven tried to rally a bit. “Perhaps what you say of your titles and your offices is true. You still don’t have the right to determine who is Jarl in a hold. There has been no moot to declare anything, no meeting of the Imperial Council to relinquish their control due to the sudden death of Titus Mede.”

“My, Maven, you are truly grasping at straws now. Unfortunately for you, your fingers are slipping from those straws even as you watch. I already wear the Jagged Crown. The moot is only needed when there is doubt as to the holder of the title. With the Crown on my head, there is no doubt. But even should there be some faint hope of doubt for you, I have six of the nine Jarls of Skyrim here who have already pledged themselves and their holds to me.”

I stepped forward. “As for the Council ... you no doubt refer to that group in Cyrodiil that have surrendered their authority to the Thalmor with the White-Gold Concordat. I see you’re wearing an amulet of that Council. No doubt you paid Delvin Mallory a tidy sum for that trinket. Oh, I see from the look of surprise in your eyes that you did, good. Did you ever bother to ask him where he managed to acquire such a thing?”

When she realized I was actually asking her a question after the silence continued for a moment, Maven answered, “He said it was given to him by an assassin for the Dark Brotherhood, as partial payment for the killing of Titus Mede. He told me he’d paid more than thirty thousand gold for it, so he could gift it to me for a mere forty thousand. I called him a liar and gave him twenty thousand for it.”

“I’m glad to see that Delvin still made a good profit on it. Did he tell you anything at all about who sold it to him?”

“No. Only that ... that the assassin was the one who killed Titus Mede. He gave me a note later that the same assassin was now the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood, that my ... contact ... with Astrid would no longer be who I would talk to, should I need their services again.” She seemed to draw strength from that thought. “So, that should be fair warning to you to leave me alone, since I can contact this ... Listener.”

From behind me I heard a musical laugh at that comment. The lithe woman in leather armor rose from where she had been kneeling and stood by my side. She pulled her hood back, exposing her face. “Perhaps I should introduce myself at this point, since we have only communicated via letter in the past. I am Astrid, former leader of the Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim. I am still the Hand of the Listener, though. And the Listener is the most feared assassin in all Tamriel. Trust me on this, former Jarl of Riften. You do not wish the Listener to have a contract on your life, for as sure as the sun rises in the morning, you would die by her action. And I can see no reason at all why the Listener should take any contract from you, former Jarl of Riften. After all, the most dangerous woman alive today, the Listener herself, stands beside me now.”

I was never exactly sure if her son actually managed to pull his sword from his belt or not. All I saw was his hand dip towards his belt, in the general direction of his sword, and an arrow flew passed my ear, embedding itself in his eye socket. “Hemming! What have you done to my son?”

“I am her sword and shield. She is my Queen, my Empress, and my Thane. Your son chose poorly. Now, in Markarth, we ended up having to kill half the guards who would not recognize the truth of it. Do we need to start that here as well?”

Seeing her son lying dead at her feet seemed to take something out of Maven. She just fell to her knees, holding his head in her lap. Maul simply raised his hands, well away from any weapons. The guards behind Maven stood in shock at what had happened. Finally one of them realized that things in town were no longer going to be operating under the old system. He went to his knees. The sound of his armor and sword hitting the floor seemed to be the spark the rest needed to do the same.

There was the sound of a single pair of hands clapping behind me. Without turning, I knew who it was. “Jarl Idgrod, a word with you, if I may.”

“Oh, it doesn’t have to be private, my Queen. You can freely chastise me in public for not warning you that this is what my vision showed me. I do so sincerely apologize for that, but ... this woman has caused so much trouble, strife, and grief in this realm with her plots. Being able to actually see it resolved personally is worth facing your wrath.”

Without further ado, Surgus took Maven by the hand and opened a portal to High Reach. He took the amulet from her and tossed it to me. “I would appreciate it if you would hold off on the wedding until I can return. I should be back by this evening.”

I smiled. “I think we can wait at least until tomorrow for that, anyway. Now, guards, get this mess cleared up. My Jarls, I believe there is a very nice manor next door. I’m sure that Maul will be glad to open it up for you, to make yourselves comfortable and rest after our journey. Erandur, if you would go to the Temple and find out if the priest would come here this evening for a dinner, that would appreciated.”

From behind where the guards were nervously watching, I heard an elven voice. “Ah, I truly thank Talos you are finally here, Your Majesty. My troops are ready to do whatever it is you require of us, have been ever since we got our orders from General Rikke. But that damned woman! She’s been blocking us from action for too long. I’m glad to see her gone.” Getting to his feet was an Altmer wearing the uniform of a Legate. He started stepping forward.

Rikke yelled out, “Don’t do anything, Your Majesty. Fasendil is on our side!”

I realized that I already had my sword half drawn. I slammed it back into its sheath. “You’ll forgive my reaction, General. I was unaware that we had Altmer in the legion ranks. I think a little warning would have been in order, especially considering what you know of our eventual plans.”

“I’m sorry, in all the confusion with you coming here so quickly, I forgot that you might not be aware of the race of my Legate here.”

“It seems that more I wander around Skyrim, the more Altmer I find who do not support the ways of the Thalmor.”

“There are a few of us here. I’ve been in the Legion now for way too long, seen too much. Talos, I fought against the Dominion during the war. Had to, after what I saw on the night of the Green Fire.”

“I don’t recall that incident. Enlighten me, please.”

“Back in 42, I was stationed in Hammerfell, on leave in Sentinel, trying to track down some relatives that were refugees who had fled persecution in Alinor. Suddenly there was an explosion of magic in the refugee quarter. Thalmor mages were attacking the Altmer dissidents who were resisting with magic of their own. I ran to the scene with the rest of my detachment, but the entire quarter was a smoking ruin by the time we arrived. Everyone was dead. Men, women, children. Wholesale slaughter of everyone there. The Dominion wasn’t content with killing dissidents at home, they’d come to Hammerfell to finish the job. Bastards.”

He shook his head at the memory. “We’re supposedly at peace, although with you here I suspect that’s going to change. But that’s why I put in to be stationed in Skyrim, to keep an eye on the Thalmor. I suspected they were behind the unrest here. Made it amusing with the intrigues that Maven kept sending my way. Silly woman, thought that just because I was Altmer that I was on the Thalmor payroll. Stupid bitch.”

I couldn’t help it, I laughed. “You have definitely been in the Legion for a long time. I don’t think I’ve ever heard an Altmer talk like that.”

“Longer than you think. My parents were traveling merchants. They settled in Cyrodiil finally, but I inherited their wanderlust. I joined the Legion to see the world, especially after ... well, damn me, I may as well ask now. Is it true, the rumor I mean, your mother was the heroine of the Oblivion crisis?”

Somehow I felt this was important to him. In a calm tone, I said, “My father was Martin Septim, living avatar of Akatosh that defeated Mehrunes Dagon in Cyrodiil. My mother is Chantal Grize’, the heroine of the Oblivion Crisis. As I said, I am Martina Grize’, of the Septim blood, the High Queen of Skyrim, the Empress of Tamriel.”

He started nodding his head when I spoke, and I saw tears form in his eyes as I went on. When I was done, he said, “I was there. I was five years old. My mother and father, Calindil and Aurelinwae, ran the Mystic Emporium in the Market district after they had settled down. The Blades and the Imperial Legion escorted your father in along the main road, right through the middle of the Imperial district. My parents had closed their shop, like everyone in the Market District, so they could attend. The streets were lined with people, we all wanted to catch a glimpse of our new Emperor. I saw him and the beautiful, proud looking lady that walked by his side.”

“And I mean lady. She looked regal, for all that she was still wearing armor. They passed into the Palace, suddenly the sky grew dark, Daedra were running loose through the city. In the confusion, I got separated from my parents. I remember a soldier. Never knew his name. But I remember what he did, oh yes. One of those Spider Daedra saw me, came towards me, I presume to kill or eat me. Just before her jaws closed, he threw himself in front of me, so the spider bit him instead. That slowed her down just enough that his fellow soldiers could kill her.”

“Well, you know what happened afterwards, your father sacrificed himself for everyone, just as that soldier sacrificed himself for me. When I got old enough, I just couldn’t be a merchant. I had to see the world, had to know, had to do something to make all of that sacrifice worth something. I’ve been in the Legion ever since.”

He wiped his eyes. “And now you. Their daughter. The Dragonborn, of course. You’d have to be of Septim blood to be able to use the Thu’um naturally. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either a fool or an idiot. Being here now, being able to serve you, to help you against the Dominion and that abomination the Thalmor have made of the land of my ancestors. Yes, that sacrifice was worth something.” With that he went to both his knees, pulling his sword and holding out to me hilt first. “Command me, my liege!”

I was, for probably the first time since I’ve been in Skyrim, speechless. My voice was so choked with emotion that I couldn’t speak. Elisif saw my distress. She ran to me, taking me in a hug. Serana was only half a step behind her, with Astrid also putting a hand on me for support. For several moments the only sounds in Mistveil Keep were of my sobs and of the pats on my back from the attempts to comfort me. Then I took a deep breath, regaining my composure.

There was still a bit of a quaver in my voice when I spoke. “Legate Fasendil, there is a group that the Thalmor have tried to destroy. Damned near succeeded, but ... failed. Their commander is here. You will still retain your Legion rank. But I ... I would be honored if you would take your place in that group. Grandmaster Delphine, the Blades are the both the intelligence service of the Empire as well as my personal bodyguards. You run both sections, but Fasendil will be directly under you, in charge of my personal safety and the safety of my family.”

I looked at Rikke. “My apologies, General, but you’ll need to find another Legate to run things here in the Rift.”

“In all honesty, Your Majesty, if losing the services of one officer helps keep you from putting yourself into harms way again when it’s not needed ... I’m good with that.” She looked at him. “You have your orders, Legate Fasendil. Turn things here over to your second in command and take your place with Lydia and Jordris. I’m sure they’ll have plenty of tales to tell you.”

Fasendil stood up. “That’s one reason I’m glad your here. Maven would not allow me to follow your orders. It was only because I was an Imperial officer that she even let me in the city. My forces are in camp on the plateau to the south of the Standing Stone.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.