Legacy of a Legend - Cover

Legacy of a Legend

Copyright© 2016 by StarFleet Carl

Chapter 17

Fan Fiction Story: Chapter 17 - Follow Martina Grize', the Dragonborn, from her entry into the realm of Skyrim, as she discovers her destiny, and eventually ... well, you'll see. I classify this as fan fiction of the Bethesda game, The Elder Scrolls V, Skyrim. There is explicit sex, but not of the stroke story variety. Disclaimer - I don't own TESV, I just play there. So the land is theirs, the choices made are mine. Note: The rape code was added due to what had happened in the past, and is discussed but not shown.

Caution: This Fan Fiction Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Fa/ft   Consensual   Rape   Romantic   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Fan Fiction   High Fantasy   War   Paranormal   Vampires   Were animal   Zombies   Incest   Mother   Daughter   Group Sex   Orgy   Masturbation   Sex Toys   Nudism   Politics   Royalty   Violence  

The narrow canyon walls would have been perfect for an ambush, or to hold off a determined enemy. Whoever chose this as a location did well, presuming the enemy couldn’t fly. The canyon went on for quite a while, which caused me concern. Where were the guards?

As the canyon opened up into a valley with a glacier fed lake ahead. I could see the high and impassable peaks of the Velothi Mountains beyond the lake, reaching far into the sky. A young farmer was sitting alongside the path. “Oh, hey there. You here to join the Dawnguard, too? I hope you don’t mind, I’m a little nervous. Mind if I walk with you?”

Lydia muttered under her breath, “Meat shield.” Then a bit louder. “Sure, come along, boy. Regale us with your tales of combat and victory.”

“Oh, er, um, I don’t have any of them. I just had heard about the vampires, and I wanted to help, so here I am.”

“Ran away from the farm, eh, boy? There’s plenty of adventures ahead for you.” She paused for a moment. “If you live, of course. That’s always the trick, isn’t it?”

“I’m not scared. Just nervous about making a good first impression is all.” None of us believed him.

The dirt path continued past the lake. Several birch trees lined the pathway. I saw a tall bastion ahead, with another visible behind it. The path led around the first tower. A small wooden fence came up almost to the base of the second tower. A workbench with some tools was here, so it looked like someone had been working on things a bit.

Further up I saw the orc that had talked to me in passing about the Dawnguard earlier in Whiterun. He was using a strange bow of some kind. “Ah, good, you made it. Wasn’t sure if you would.”

“What’s that you’re using?”

“Ah, you haven’t seen a crossbow before? Nothing better for putting a vampire down. Here, you’ll need one if you’re going against them. Now, go see Isran up in the fort.”

We headed up the steps. A man standing on them told us to go in. Something about the barbican to this fort bothered me. It didn’t seem to be built for defense, no portcullis, no place for one. Just a big, reinforced door.

The door opened into a huge great room. Grates on the floor covered a stream of running water. Cobwebs – regular sized ones – covered parts of the walls. There was a general odor of mustiness and age here. Two men, one, a Redguard, was in armor similar to the man outside, and another wearing Vigilant armor, stood arguing in the middle of the room.

“Why are you here, Tolan? The Vigilants and I were finished long ago.”

“You know why I’m here, Isran. The Vigilants are under attack everywhere. The vampires are more dangerous than we believed.”

“And now you want to come running to safety with the Dawnguard, is that it? I remember Keeper Carcette telling me that Fort Dawnguard is a crumbling ruin, not worth the expense or manpower to repair. And now that you’ve stirred up the vampires against you, you come begging for my protection?”

“Isran ... Carcette is dead. The Hall of Vigilants ... everyone ... they’re all dead. Isn’t that enough for you?”

“Yes, well ... I never wanted any of this to happen. I tried to warn you. I am sorry.” He saw us standing to one side. “So, who are you, what do you want?”

“I’m just exploring Skyrim, looking around, thought I’d see what was in this old fort.”

He shook his head. “Why do I even post guards? This is the headquarters of the Dawnguard. Well, it used to be, a long time ago. As you can see, we have some work to do to restore it to it’s former glory. Perhaps you can help with that?”

“What’s the history of this place? It looks ... rather old, and not built like a regular castle.”

“Yes, well, it is old, been here more than a thousand years, since the Second Era. I thought it’d be a place we could base out of, but the Vigilants didn’t, which is why we parted ways. It was built to house a vampire, keep him prisoner. Someone important, that they couldn’t just kill. Eventually they had to put him down, and since he was the son of the Jarl of Riften, they were banished. But then they became vampire hunters, and were called the Dawnguard. And they kept Skyrim safe from those bloodsuckers.”

“They did their job well, and were disbanded. The vampires have come creeping back. So that’s why we have their name, we’re going to take the fight to them. I just hope it isn’t too late.”

“So how can we help?”

“I need someone out in the field, taking the fight to those damn vampires, while we’re getting the fort back into shape. Tolan was telling me about some cave the Vigilants were poking around in. Seemed to think it was related to these recent vampire attacks. Tolan, tell her about ... what was it, Dimhollow?”

“Dimhollow Crypt. Brother Adalvald was sure it held some long-lost vampire artifact of some kind. We didn’t listen to him anymore than we did to Isran. He was at the hall when it was attacked.”

Isran said, “Then that’s where you need to go. Find out what those vampires were looking for. With any luck, they’ll still be there.”

Tolan broke in. “I’ll meet you there. I know you don’t think we’re strong enough for this, that we’re soft, cowardly and weak. But I have to do this.” He marched out of the fort.

“Well, damn. Good luck, old friend.” Isran watched Tolan leave, then turned to me. “Anyway, I know it’s getting late. Take what you need from here, it’s not much at this point, and get going as soon as you can.”

“Isran, a couple of questions first. I’m fairly new to Skyrim and like you, not originally from here. But one thing I’ve noticed is that the dragons are coming back. Do you think that might have anything to do with the vampires?”

“I don’t know, it’s always possible. Vampires are supposed to be immortal, anyway, but I’ve killed enough of them to know that they can die just like anyone else. I heard the Greybeards summoned the Dragonborn. You might ask him about it.”

“Her. Me. That’s why I’m asking you.”

Isran was flustered. “Wait, what? You’re ... the Dragonborn? That does put a new light on things, doesn’t it?” He stepped back for long minutes, lost in thought. He played with his long beard while he did so, his piercing eyes looking passed me, seeing something in his mind. Finally he spoke.

“Some things make a little more sense now, others make less sense to me. I left the Vigil because, well, Carcette simply wanted to kill the Daedra and vampires. I’m from Sentinel in Hammerfell. This is more personal to me, and that’s all I’m going to say about that. I don’t want to just kill them, I want to exterminate them completely.”

“Several years ago I heard a rumor some of the vampires here in Skyrim were different from the ones infesting the rest of Tamriel. Something to do with Molag Bal, but there was nothing I could find in any writings anywhere. I didn’t just kill vampires, I captured them, and yes, I tortured them to give me information. That’s one reason Carcette and I didn’t get along. All of the ones I captured or killed were just regular vampires, infected, diseased. But a very few of them told me something, something that I had asked Adalvald to look into.”

“So how does this affect what’s happened to the Vigilants here and now?” I asked.

“One of the rumors was that this small group of vampires, somewhere here in Skyrim, aren’t actually infected. They’re like vampire royalty, directly descended from the Nedic, which if you don’t know, were from Hammerfell as well. The original vampires. And they’ve been around since before the Dragon Wars.”

Esbern started at hearing that. “Since before the Dragon Wars? But that was before the First Era, thousands of years ago.”

“I know. As I said before, unless they’re killed, vampires are immortal. So if anyone knows how to bring the dragons back, it would be them, since they’ve been here since the dragons were originally vanquished. But why would they do that, and now? That’s what I don’t understand, and you need to find out.”

“We’ll get some rest and head out in the morning, then. Isran, our thanks.”

“One last thing. The special, long-lost artifact? One vampire I questioned said it was a piece of the Aedric Prophecies, whatever those are. Just thought you ought to know.”

Esbern and I both had shocked looks on our faces at that revelation. I don’t know how the old man kept from saying anything, I almost didn’t. Lydia picked up on that and simply led us to where quarters were located. “What does that mean, my Thane?”

“That means we haul our asses back to Riverwood as quickly as possible. There’s more at play here than just Alduin returning. Not with an Elder Scroll involved.”

Our sleep that night was troubled by dreams and short. We left before dawn had finished rising over the mountains. Our travel back to Riften was uninterrupted. I hired a carriage to take us to Whiterun, since it didn’t run to Riverwood. Upon arriving, we went into the city to drop off some things and gather some other supplies that might be needed, and get some rest. It had taken us all day to get from Fort Dawnguard back to Whiterun, and I was more concerned now than ever about running into vampires.

Esbern slept in Lydia’s bed while she and I shared mine. The feel of her skin on mine helped soothe my sleep. She knew I was very troubled when other than a simple kiss we did nothing else. The next morning we got our gear in order and headed for Riverwood.

It was an uneventful trip that soon found us entering the Sleeping Giant Inn. Delphine was just getting ready for the day. “Mara’s mercy, you’re safe! Come on, we have a lot to discuss.”

“Delphine, I ... it’s good to see you. It’s been ... a long time.”

“It’s good to see you too, Esbern. It’s been too long, old friend. Too long. You made it, safe and sound. Good. Come on, then. I have a place we can talk.” She told Orgnar to hold down the bar, then led us into her basement room.

She started out. “Now then, I assume you know about...” and looked at me.

Esbern said, “Oh, yes. Dragonborn! Indeed, yes. Our Lady has explained her heritage to me fully, you and I have reached the same conclusion about her. Of course, now there’s no time to lose. We must locate ... let me show you.” He began digging for one of the books he’d taken from his hideout.

“Ah, yes, here it is.” He pulled it out of his pack. “Come, let me show you. Sky Haven Temple, constructed around one of the main Akaviri military camps in the Reach, during their conquest of Skyrim. This is where they built Alduin’s Wall, to set down in stone their accumulated knowledge. A hedge against the forgetfulness of centuries. A wise and foresighted policy. But despite the far-reaching fame of Alduin’s Wall at the time – one of the wonders of the ancient world – its location was lost.”

“Esbern, what are you getting at?” Delphine asked.

“You mean, you haven’t heard of Alduin’s Wall? None of you?” All three of us shook our heads. “Alduin’s Wall was where the ancient Blades recorded all they knew of Alduin and his return. Part history, part prophecy. The location was lost for centuries, but I’ve found it again. Not lost, really, just forgotten. The archives held so many secrets ... I was only able to save a few scraps.”

“So you think Alduin’s Wall will tell us how to defeat Alduin, then?”

“Well, yes, Delphine, I do. There’s no guarantee, of course.”

I spoke up then. “We had best be well prepared, then, if it’s a wonder of the ancient world. Something else we found is that some ancient vampires may also be working with the dragons. And they’ve been around long enough to know where this Wall is located.” I snorted. “Some of them may have even helped build it, for all we know.”

“Vampires? I know their attacks have become more bold lately, but ... in a way, what you say makes sense. But why would they do this, bring Alduin back since unless he’s stopped, his return marks the end of the world?”

“Think about this. They bring Alduin back, and he brings all the slain dragons from the Dragon War back to life. They use something to destroy him, perhaps knowledge they already have from Alduin’s Wall. Then they use this power to bind the dragons to their service. Could anything, even the Aldmeri Dominion, stand against a vampire army bent upon control of all Tamriel with the resurrected dragon horde on their side?”

Delphine protested. “But to do that, they’d need an incredible power of some kind.”

“Exactly. An Elder Scroll would fit that power source quite nicely. And from what we’ve found, they either already have one or are seeking one now. Which means we may not have much time at all.”

“Well, I know where this area that Esbern’s talking about is, it’s near Karthspire, in the Karth River Canyon. Here, just past Old Hroldan.” She pointed on the map.

I looked at Lydia. “Then it wasn’t a coincidence that Talos sent us there before. If there are Forsworn in the area like we’ve seen before, we better all travel together for safety. Do you have everything you need?”

“Yes, my liege. Let’s go see if we can find this Sky Haven Temple.”

Delphine climbed the stairs. She stopped at the bar. “Well, Orgnar, this is it. The inn is yours. I’m probably never coming back here.” He looked at her in shock. “Take care of yourself, Orgnar. Goodbye.” He wished her safe travels.

The four of us were an odd looking group as we headed out of Riverwood. I looked at my map. If there was an ambush waiting for us, it’d be on the path we’d traveled before, on the road from Whiterun, probably near Fort Greymoor. It looked like the road also went around the south side of Lake Ilinalta, meeting up near Granite Hill.

We followed the river south towards the lake. To keep us company for extra protection, I summoned a fire atronach. My foresight was rewarded when I heard wolves howling ahead of us. They started to attack, but were quickly slain by spells and arrows. Esbern complained, “I’m getting too old for this shit.”

We soon passed the Guardian Stones, then went up the hill as if heading towards Helgen. The path split off to the west. We followed it the road. Several more times wolves attacked us, then a small group of bandits tried to waylay us, and even a witch tried to attack. “Lydia, remind me to take a carriage whenever possible.”

“What’s the matter, my Thane? This is fun, right?”

“You and I have a very different definition of the word fun. Unless pudding is involved, and maybe some jam.” I smiled at her.

Esbern said, not unkindly, “Ladies, I’m too old for the running we’re doing, the fighting we’re doing, but I assure you that I am NOT too old to bend either of you over my knee for teasing an old man.”

Delphine chimed in, “Esbern, I don’t think they’re teasing.”

He grumbled, “Well, either way, we’ve still a long way to travel. We need to concentrate on what we’re doing.”

The road curved to follow the lake and crossed a bridge. We passed a mill that was on the edge of the lake. As we did so, I heard a dragon scream off in the distance. We stopped for a moment, readying weapons. The roars were distant. “Let’s keep moving.”

The road then climbed a small rise and as it started to descend, towards Granite Hill, we could see the dragon ahead of us, near a mountain pass. Any remaining doubt as to whether the Thalmor were working with the dragons was laid to rest with what we saw. The dragon was attacking a group of Thalmor.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.