A Well-Lived Life - Book 10 - The Wife - Cover

A Well-Lived Life - Book 10 - The Wife

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 8: Picking up the Pieces, Part II

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 8: Picking up the Pieces, Part II - Unlike most boys, Steve Adams was always on the lookout for his perfect match from an early age. His poor home situation growing up has given him a laser focus on achieving his ultimate goal--a loving wife, a comfortable life, and children raised in a loving, supportive home. Who will be the future Mrs. Stephen Mark Adams?

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Mult   Romantic   School   Workplace   Incest   Brother   Sister  

December 30, 1984, Chicago, Illinois

The drive to Chicago was incident free, and the conversation limited. I had played the radio and talked quietly with Stephanie from time to time. Josie and Jennifer were in the back seat, but Jennifer wouldn't answer anything Josie asked, so eventually Josie had given up.

When we arrived in Chicago, I realized that we had a minor conundrum with sleeping arrangements. Jennifer and Josie would each use a guest room, which left a question of what to do with my sister. I called Kara and got her OK for Stephanie to use her bed. With everything that was going on, I decided dinner would be pizza, so I called Connie's and ordered a large, deep dish pie.

I ran down the list of calls that I needed to make and checked the clock. It was too late to call Sofia, so I'd have to do that in the morning. Next on the list was Tanya. I called and let her know about the change of plans. She took it all in stride and was actually happy that Josie and Stephanie were there for Jennifer so that I could spend time with her. After Tanya, I called Anala. Once again she wasn't home, and I chose not to leave a message on her answering machine, and made a note to call her later. My next call was to Jackie.

"I have a problem," I said after we greeted each other. "Alice knows about me and Penny."

"What?! How?!"

"Alice found Penny's birth control pills and confronted Penny. Penny copped to kissing but denied doing anything more. I let that fiction stand out of self-defense."

"I can imagine! So what happened?"

"Penny is not allowed to see me, at least for a time. I'm supposed to talk to Alice at some point."

"It's all going to depend on Penny and her mom at this point," Jackie said. "Just let them work it out between them."

"That's more or less what I thought. Alice wasn't outraged about the idea of Penny possibly having sex at fifteen, because that's when Alice lost her virginity, and to a guy who was 22."

Jackie laughed, "Like mother, like daughter!"

"And father, apparently. Her dad's new wife is about my age and he was cheating with her before the divorce five years ago."

"Well, you might just survive this. Just be careful. How's Bethany?"

"In bad shape, but in good spirits. She's going to have surgery on her arm on Monday. She'll have about five more days in the hospital after that. When she's released, she'll go back to Milford and do rehab, which could last six months or more. Her professor came to visit her and thinks she can still graduate on time."

"Good. How's Jennifer? Isn't she with you?"

"She is, and oh boy, what a mess that is! I can't go into it, but Josie's here because Jen had a major meltdown. My sister is here, too."

"Oh, shit. It must be bad!"

"That's an understatement! Really, it's more than just that, it's a combination of Bethany, Wen, and Jennifer. On the plus side, Wen is out of the hospital and I'll get my car back on the 8th."

"I hope things calm down for you, Steve," Jackie said.

"Me too. I'll see you soon, I hope."

"Want us to join you for New Year's?" she asked.

"That's a smashing idea! I'll call Pete and Melanie as well. Why don't you guys show up around 6:00pm? We'll have dinner."

We agreed on the plans and what they'd bring, and then I called Pete and Melanie to invite them. Melanie quickly agreed, and I told her about Jennifer.

"Shit," she said. "I'm going to come over tonight!"

"I don't think that's a good idea, Melanie," I said.

"Wrong! It's a great idea. See you in an hour."

I sighed. I'd always wanted the girls in my life to be self-confident and strong, and Melanie, like most of the others, would do exactly as she pleased. I wondered if perhaps I should have gone for girls more like Anala! I tried her again when I hung up with Melanie, but still only reached her answering machine. I left my study and found Stephanie and Josie getting plates and silverware out to set the table for our pizza dinner. I asked about Jennifer and they said she was in the guest room with the door shut.

"Set another place. Melanie will be here right about the time the pizza is delivered. I couldn't talk her out of coming."

Stephanie laughed, "No surprise there!"

Melanie actually arrived about two minutes before the pizza delivery, and the girls went to sit down while I went downstairs to call Jennifer to come eat. She didn't speak, but she came out of the room. She glared at me and went up the stairs and then to the dining room. I wasn't looking forward to the test of wills that I knew was about to occur. I served pizza for everyone and Stephanie set out bottles of 7-Up, Coke and Dr Pepper.

"Jennifer, start talking. Now!" Melanie said.

"Steve, you are a consummate asshole!" Jennifer growled.

"Jesus Jennifer!" Melanie retorted. "The guy loves you more than his own life and you talk to him like that because he cares for you? What the fuck is going on?! Snap out of it right the fuck now! Do you hear me?!"

I began to question the wisdom of even calling Melanie in the first place. I hadn't told her what had happened; just that Jennifer was upset and not talking. Jennifer didn't say anything, though I saw a tear form in her eye and run down her cheek. Surprisingly, she didn't run from the table and started eating her pizza. I gave Melanie a look that asked her to back off a bit, and she began eating her pizza as well.

We ate in silence, and I served a second piece of pizza to Stephanie and Melanie. Josie and Jennifer declined. I thought about it, then decided to have a second piece.

"Come on, Jennifer," Melanie encouraged. "Talk to us. Everyone here loves you. Talk to us."

Tears started streaming down Jennifer's face, and she sobbed quietly. She shook her head in response to Melanie's repeated request to talk.

"She's not ready yet, Melanie," I said. "Give her some time."

It was Melanie's turn to give me a hard look, but I stared her down and she backed off. When we finished our pizza, I wrapped up the leftovers, and Melanie and Stephanie cleared the table and washed the dishes. I made some tea and when everything was finished, we all went to the great room and I poured tea for everyone. Jennifer was sitting as far away from anyone as she could, in a chair in the corner. I didn't like it, but given the circumstances, I wasn't going to push too hard, especially after Melanie had pushed Jennifer so hard at dinner.

"We're having a New Year's Eve party," I said. "I invited Jackie and Jamie, as well as Pete and Melanie. If I can get in touch with Anala, I'll invite her and Prajesh as well."

"Is anybody else left in town?" Melanie asked.

"I don't think so. The closest people would be Cindi in Madison and our friends in Milford. Kara's coming back on the 6th, the same day Stephanie is heading home."

"Were you accepted to UofC?" Melanie asked my sister.

"Yep! I signed the letter and sent it back. I'll be moving up here as soon as I graduate."

"Jennifer, can we talk about when you guys move here?" I asked.

"I guess," she said hesitantly.

"I have a surprise that everyone but you and Josie know," I said. "Come on out to the backyard, please."

Everyone got up and walked out the back door with me.

"The fence is gone," Josie observed.

"That coach house used to be part of this property, and now it's part of it again. My dad and I bought it. It's being rented to some UofC students for this next semester, but once school's out, they'll move out and you and Jennifer can move in."

"What?!" Josie asked in surprise.

"You and Jennifer can move into the coach house. It'll be your house."

"Holy shit!" Josie exclaimed. "You did this for us?"

"Yes. The real estate agent brought me the deal, but when he did, I realized it would neatly solve the challenge of having enough room in the house for everyone."

"Who all is going to be here in the Fall?" Melanie asked.

"Elyse, Sofia, Kara, Bethany, and Stephanie. Plus Jennifer and Josie. If roommates go the way we've talked about, that still leaves a room in the house."

"Bethany?" Melanie asked.

"She applied to Loyola for graduate school. She decided that she needed to be in Chicago for some reason!" I chuckled.

"My Big Brother!" Stephanie declared. "That's the reason!"

"Let's go back inside," I suggested. "It's a bit chilly out here without any coats."

We went back to the great room, and I poured everyone some more tea. Jennifer still sat away from everyone, making it clear she didn't want to talk. She hadn't even responded to the revelation about the coach house. I wondered what she was thinking, but had no idea how to get her to talk to me.

"Whatever happened with the cheating scandal?" Melanie asked.

"There was a letter in the mail that informed me that Charlie has her disciplinary hearing on the 15th. My goal is to make sure she's not suspended. So far as I'm aware, Callie hasn't given up the names of the grad students who sold her the tests and answers. If she doesn't, she'll be expelled. If she does give up the names, she might get away with a suspension. I really hope she decides to give evidence. Doctor Bauer needs to know who did it and kick them out of the grad program."

"No problems for you?" she asked.

"I got slapped on the wrist for being an idiot, and deservedly so. The worst was actually from Scott, my boss, who's also a professor in one of my classes. He really got on my case and sent me into something of a funk. Bethany came and kicked my ass to get me out of it."

Stephanie laughed, "If you don't marry that girl, you're a dumber boy than I thought you were."

"Since when is THAT news?" Melanie asked with a laugh.

"So true," my sister agreed. "He might still choose Sofia. Or Kara. Or even Penny."

"Careful on that last topic, Squirt," I said. "There's a bit of a kerfuffle right now."

"Oh?"

"Penny's mom found her birth control pills and confronted Penny," I said. "Penny said she and I had only kissed and her mom bought it, but the pills obviously indicated that Penny had ideas for doing more. She's not allowed to see me right now. I have to talk to Alice again soon."

"Are you in trouble?" Melanie asked.

"Not at this point. Her mom was cool, at least as far as it goes. Alice is struggling with being a proponent of 'free love' while she was in college and having a daughter who is fifteen and, in Alice's mind, contemplating having sex."

"That ship sailed on your birthday," my sister said.

"Alice does NOT know that. And I'm happy to play along with Penny's fib about that."

"Be careful, Steve," Melanie said. "She's underage, and the law changed last Summer to seriously increase the penalties."

I sighed, "Of course it did. The Kent van der Meers of the world are winning the argument."

"Who?" Josie asked.

"The former pastor of the church Kara used to go to," Stephanie said. "A fundamentalist Bible church. He's a total asshole who is determined to ensure nobody enjoys life or has fun in any way, shape, or form."

I got up to make another pot of tea and my sister came to the kitchen with me.

"Jennifer is acting like a zombie now," Stephanie said, keeping her voice low.

"Yeah," I agreed. "She's said less than twenty words since we left Indianapolis."

"She's not crying, so I guess that's something."

From the other room I heard a screech, "Shut up and leave me alone!"

I hurried into the great room and saw Melanie standing by Jennifer, who had tears streaming down her face.

"Melanie!" I said sharply. "Stop it. Leave her alone!"

"She needs to talk to someone!" Melanie protested.

"And she will. But not now. Back! Off!"

Melanie gave me a hard look, but then moved away.

"Jennifer, let's put you to bed," I said gently.

She nodded and followed me to the basement. I waited while she brushed her teeth, and then when she went into the guest room and shut the door, I heard the lock engage. I shook my head and went back upstairs.

"Melanie, that was dumb!" I declared as a reprimand. "I told you it was a bad idea to come tonight. This is going to take time."

"You two never let ME have time when I tried to push you away."

"Those were different circumstances," I said. "Go home to Pete and we'll see you tomorrow for the party. And promise you won't push Jennifer. Let Josie and me handle it."

Melanie gave me an evil look, "Fine. But she just needs to get whatever it is out in the open so we can help her!"

"I agree. But it's up to her, Melanie. Now, go home to Pete and work out your frustrations on him. He'll appreciate it!"

She gave me a quick hug, and from that I knew she was really upset. When Melanie was angry with at me, I didn't get the searing French kiss. I didn't get a kiss at all when she left, which spoke volumes as to how much she disagreed with me about Jennifer. I walked her to the door and watched as she got into her car and drove away.

"Now what?" Josie asked when I came back to the great room.

"Jennifer's in her room and she locked the door. I'd let her be for tonight and we can try again tomorrow. She's probably going to lash out some more, so be ready for that."

"I wish you'd tell me what happened," Josie said.

"She's already pissed at me because I told Bethany and called you. Let her tell you when she's ready. Our goal is to make sure she gets the counseling that she needs. I don't think the three of us can solve this problem for Jennifer."

"Shit," Josie said. "Do you mind if I turn on the TV? I'm not tired right now."

"Go ahead," I said. "I'm going to try Anala one more time, and then I need to write in my journal."

I got up and walked to my study, stopping in the kitchen the turn off the kettle and make a pot of tea that I took into the study with me. My sister came in a few minutes later. She shut the door.

"Spill it!" she ordered.

"Not this time, Squirt. I know that I usually tell you everything. This one I can't."

"You know she's about a hair's breadth from the bottle, right?"

I sighed, "I do. Speaking of that, there's a key to the liquor cabinet on the bar downstairs. Do me a favor and lock the cabinet and bring the key back here."

She got up and went to do what I'd asked. I turned on the Macintosh and started up MacWrite. I reviewed the notes I'd typed the other day and then started writing. Stephanie was back just after I'd written the first sentence and dropped the key on my desk.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.