Shaman - Cover

Shaman

Copyright© 2016 by Zoras

Chapter 3

Stepping up to the man nearest her, she asked, "Could you tell me which of these ships will be sailing downriver next?"

Never looking up from the rope he was working on, the man answered, "If you listen to what the captains are saying, then the next ship to head down river is the River Beast."

"Which one would that be?"

Glancing up, the man pointed to a ship sitting one pier over, saying, "Over there, though, if you have any sense you'll wait for another."

Looking to where the man was pointing, she asked, "Why is that?"

"Well, if you ask me, that ship is cursed."

Knowing about curses and when to use them, Wahleia knew curses would never be placed on a ship, though possibly, a man onboard might have a curse placed on him that would also affect the ship.

She asked, "Why would anyone curse a ship?

"I don't know, but they've been up and down the river three times already this year; and each time they've returned, they have dead and wounded aboard."

Turning to walk away the man offered, "I hear there is another ship sailing in three days if you wish to wait."

She walked in the direction of the ship the man called River Beast. She heard the man's words about another ship due to sail but ignored them as she was looking over the ship before her. Wahleia considered the ship's name appropriate, as the River Beast was easily three times the size of the boat she and her grandfather had taken to get to Pyre. Approaching the ship, she could see what she'd been told was true. The men working on board had an assortment of bandages on various parts of their bodies. Passing the men on the docks, who weren't wearing bandages, Wahleia chose a man who was sitting close to the planks leading to the ship but looked like he could care less. Getting closer she could see he was far from disinterested, as his eyes followed her down the pier.

Setting the butt of her spear on the pier in front of him, Wahleia said, "I'm looking for passage downriver, who should I ask for to book passage aboard?"

"The quartermaster or the captain would be best, neither is here now and no, I have no idea when they will return."

"Do you know if the captain is taking passengers when sail tomorrow?"

Giving her the once over, he said, "You'll need to ask them. I have no idea what the captain's plans are; all I do is work the sails. Sailing with us tomorrow may not be a good idea as we have a stop to make before we put into Namatar."

"Is there a reason I cannot stay aboard while the captain makes the stop?"

"Because what Folget says is correct," came a voice from behind them. Turning around, she could see the man the voice was connected to, he was bigger than the men around him though he still shorter than herself. Continuing, he added, "We're leaving first thing tomorrow and this trip is not for women not even one as large as you."

Looking at the men standing behind the man talking to her, she understood immediately, by their weapons and equipment, there was to be a fight. Having never been farther down the river than she was right then, she didn't know who the fight would be with but the men she could see all looked very serious and ready.

"Seeing the men behind you, I understand well enough what type of stop you're preparing for. I've seen to men who've gone off to fight and I've taken care of their wounds numerous times. I have no fight with anyone downriver, but I would be willing to exchange my knowledge of herbs and the healing arts for passage."

"It still might not be safe for you even if you stay on the ship."

"I'm not without skills of my own, with the spear and shield."

"Are you any good with a bow?"

"I will say I know how to use one, though personally I prefer the spear."

Nodding his head, the man said, "Good enough, I'm the quartermaster and when the captain returns I'll let him know I may have found us a healer. If the captain agrees where can we find you?"

Wahleia gave him the name of the inn where she was to meet her grandfather later. After a few more words, she walked off down the pier past the men who had watched her conversation with the quartermaster. She could see a few who had been close enough to hear their exchange and were now grinning as she passed by, knowing they were happy there was to be a healer with them as healers were becoming a rare sight everywhere.

Walking past the city gates, Wahleia was already making a list of supplies that she'd need to purchase for the types of injuries she thought she was likely to see. Turning to her right once she was past the guards she merged into the crowd. Remembering where the vendors had shops she had visited years before, she had a busy morning finding what she would need.

Lobok had an easier time finding what he was looking for once he left Wahleia on the dock. The door he sought had a large sign with a wolf's head displayed prominently above it. Having been here many times over the years, the location was ingrained in him walking the streets now almost absent minded, he did not bother paying attention to where he and Ferot were going. Instead, he was first amazed and then concerned that the numbers of slaves out on the streets was far greater now than the last time he was in Pyre. He minded his own business as he walked along, he still didn't like the idea of one man owning another, even if a number of those were of the lesser races, to Lobok the idea was just wrong.

Now though he put his thoughts on the slaves aside as he found the door he was seeking, stepping inside to the sound of a bell that hung on the door. Unlike the streets outside, time had not changed the interior, meaning his partner did not waste money going with the latest fashion. Lobok did not have to stand at the door long, as a child stepped out from a curtained alcove but retreated as soon as he saw the man and wolf standing inside the door.

Lobok chuckled as he put his hand on his friend's head as the conversation behind the curtain centered on the wolf and large man in the shop area. Asking who the man was Lobok recognized the voice of his friend who stepped out from behind the curtain seconds after his question to see who had come into his shop.

Spotting Lobok standing there, the man smiled, offering his hand saying, "Lobok, it is good to see you again my friend." Looking down at the wolf, the man added, "It is good to see you again too Ferot, your spot is ready for you as I have promised."

Knowing the way, the wolf left his master walking to a corner of the shop where anyone who entered could see a bed had been left for what most thought would be a dog, never knowing the owner kept the bed for the wolf of a friend. Finding his bed where he knew he would, he circled once, twice and then laid down paying no attention to the men who watched him take his spot.

Looking back to Lobok, the man asked, "Does it not cause you concern wondering how he knows what we say?"
"Not at all, I would be more concerned if he did not know what I said or even what I thought as he has been with me for close to thirty years now."

"I guess that means I shall wonder by myself then." Motioning for Lobok to take a chair, the man continued, saying, "I take it you have come for your earnings?"

"Yes I have Telep, but even more this time, I wish to sell my share of the company," Lobok stated.

Lobok's statement startled the man called Telep, his shock was short lived as he recovered, asking, "Have I done something wrong? Your profits are greater than ever, if you ever decide to leave your village you could live as a king."

Taking a deep breath, Lobok answered, saying, "I know and I am well pleased with what you have done for me and my family. However that is all at an end as I will not live to see the next snowfall."

"I am sorry to hear that my friend but would it not be wiser to name an heir and let them continue to enjoy what you have built?"

"Yes it would but there is more to the story. I would name my granddaughter but she is here in town with me to look for a ship to take her to Greenwater where she will find another ship to take her south to meet with a man and be married."

"Wahleia is to be married? I thought she was to take over your hut once you leave on your journey."

"Plans have changed and yes the people are not happy about her leaving," Lobok stated.

"I believe you; I imagine more than a few heated words were exchanged. Now as to your request to sell your part in the company, you know I will do what you ask but to get the true value will take time."

"How much time?"

Shaking his head, Telep offered, "Much times, the cities nearby probably less than a month, the others maybe two to four months, as I have to send letters to them and then wait for their return."
"Waiting four months will be too long. Wahleia is looking to head down river as soon as she can find a ship to take her."

"I'm sorry my friend, had I any fore warning I could have sent messengers over the winter and their replies would be coming in now."

"What would you be willing to give me now, say off of our last year's profits?" Lobok asked.

"I would need to check the books but I can say with confidence she would be able to travel south with several chests of gold and jewels."

"That is not a good idea either as she will need to travel overland and chests will draw the wrong type of attention to her."

"Well if you are of a mind to hear a different solution to your problem; I could address a letter for you or her stating her ownership position in the company. Any of our houses will give her every consideration as well as supplies and gold as she needs it, thereby eliminating the need for her to travel with multiple chests. Then when she returns from her marriage I can have an updated accounting and would then be able to give her the proper value of your share."

"I like your idea Telep. Instead of selling my share, the letter would be better as she would have a few safe places to stay on her journey."

"Even more, she could take passage on any of our ships and the men on our ships are good men so she would be safe traveling with them."
"I appreciate your concern for her but she is more than capable of taking care of herself, as many boys in the valley have been rebuffed, sometimes violently."
"Still it is good to know one can sleep peacefully without keeping one eye open."

"Let us go with your plan with the letter for places to sleep as well as passage on board our ships. If she needs gold she can discuss it with whoever you have seeing to our interests. For now if you do not mind I will take my usual for myself to see me through to next year. For Wahleia I think a number of gems would at least see her through the first part of her journey."

Sitting there as Telep did as he asked, Lobok mentioned the number of slaves he saw outside in the streets. Answering, Telep stated, "I would say the bringing and taking of slaves began last summer with a number of them brought after the spring thaw. No one thought anything at first as there have always been slaves, what no one understood was how many were being brought upriver. By the time people realized what was happening slaves were everywhere, becoming the new status symbol of wealth.

"There were problems in the beginning as people did not know how to handle the lower races and there were a few incidences with people getting hurt. The slaves were of course put down but the manner in how they were put down was leaked and even if they were stupid they understood what would happen to them. Not that I agree with the way they were treated as they are close to being human compared to something like a horse but after the troublesome ones were put down, calm returned and now they are here and we cannot get rid of them."

"Well in the valley we say if you save a man, you are responsible for them. I guess you can say the same about slaves if you own them then you are responsible for them."

"I wish, other than the money for them, their owners were never punished for the behavior of their slaves. Then again some of those who were attacked were their owners, so there was some justice after all," Telep answered.

"So I guess there are even more slaves down river?"

"From the reports that have come back to me, the taking of slaves has become an industry with slaves being taken sea side villages and cities as well as up certain rivers. As we've discussed previously, we have passed on every offer that has been presented that included transporting the slaves others have taken."

"I appreciate you honoring my beliefs that slavery is wrong."

"Bah, at first I thought not carrying slaves might hurt business, if anything the opposite has happened. We have more business now because the hunt for slaves and the money they bring in is making the other houses unreliable at delivering cargo. Their embracing of the slave trade has allowed us to take over their routes."

"So you're saying selling my interest would be a bad thing?"
"I would say so but the money is yours."

"Then your plan is the best, which leaves me wondering what I should say to Wahleia regarding slavers."

"Tell her to watch out for them, they will take her as well as anyone else who crosses their path and appears weaker than themselves," Telep offered.

Sitting in one of the many booths that made up the common area of the Broken Pony, Lobok was glad to see Wahleia enter the Inn. In his time waiting for his granddaughter to arrive his own thoughts had turned dark thinking about his conversation with his friend as well as what he had seen walking though the city. He knew he would not live long enough to see slavers up the river leading to his valley, but one day it might occur and Lobok did not relish the thought. He knew there would be war as he knew of a few tribes closer to the sea who had more contact with traders and who, with little encouragement. would attack others farther up river, leading to cycles of attacks and reprisals. He was only slightly mollified to think it would be years before his people who even here were called barbarians, would have to submit to a collar like an orc.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.