Trip of a Lifetime Book I: I Grieve With Thee - Cover

Trip of a Lifetime Book I: I Grieve With Thee

Copyright© 2016 by The Slim Rhino

Chapter 4: Musical Chairs, Starfleet Style

"We all witnessed, what happened yesterday. I'm afraid we will have to face some consequences," the captain opened the morning briefing. "But first things first. T'Pol, how are you and Trip?"

"Doctor Phlox has sedated the Commander. He did not have much rest last night. The same is true for me. Vulcans can function for several days without sleep, but my emotional control is still ... unstable. I wish to ask for a day off-duty. I need to attend a task on the surface and spend the day in meditation. I believe Commander Tucker will need my assistance today, as well. It would not be wise to keep him sedated all the time."

"You're not going to flip off another Minister down there, are you?" Jon asked, slightly concerned.

"I do not wish to indulge in unseemly actions, Captain. The purpose of my visit is strictly limited to preparations for the hearing on Vulcan."

"Okay, then you're granted a day off," he said. "Admiral Gardner got a call from Minister T'Pau this morning. The High Council demands to see you ... and Trip. We will have to haul you two over to Vulcan within one week."

"That is an inevitable development. We both acted unseemly towards a member of the High Council. We will have to answer for that. However unseemly Minister V'Lon acted himself..."

"Damn right!" the captain agreed. "I suppose you have a plan to defend yourself?"

"Not at this moment. I will speak to Ambassador Soval and Commander Tucker. I will consult with both about a possible course of action. Trip ... Commander Tucker often finds solutions that others do not consider."

"Well, I hope you find something," Jon told her sincerely, ignoring her slip-up. "Dismissed Commander, see that you and Trip get back on your feet, okay?"

"I will, Captain." she nodded and left the briefing.

"Sir, if I may ask," Malcolm interrupted. "Why didn't the Admiral object? He was sitting on his bloody arse, watching the Vulcan tear Commander Tucker to pieces. Do we let them get away with something like that?"

"Well according to what Shran told me yesterday, the Vulcans have them by the throat. I'm afraid, there's really nothing we can do at the moment. Let's hope that T'Pol is right and Trip comes up with an idea." the Captain sighed. He could see that Malcolm was not happy with that answer.

-=/\=-

"It is agreeable to see you again, T'Pol-kan," Soval greeted his guest. He was taken aback by her haggard appearance, but considering what had transpired the day before, he was feeling a certain gratification that she functioned at all, as opposed to being delivered to the embassy's infirmary with a neurological breakdown.

"It is agreeable to see you, Ambassador," she answered, her exhaustion plainly visible and audible.

"I am ashamed of Minister V'Lon's behavior," Soval admitted and took her hands in his – an unusual gesture for a Vulcan. "Unfortunately my position did not allow me to render more assistance. However, may I ask what caused your overt display of emotions?"

"The loss of Elizabeth is most taxing," T'Pol explained, noticing how Soval absorbed some of her pain through the touch-telepathic contact. "We were aware that Minister V'Lon's motives were not honorable. Unfortunately, we did not have sufficient time to prepare for that, even though Trip has mastered even slightly advanced meditation techniques much faster than expected. It is our belief, that Minister V'Lon deliberately tried to take advantage of our situation to have us removed from Starfleet and, more importantly, he attempts to separate us."

"It was only to be expected that isolationist forces on Vulcan would not take well to your obvious relationship with Commander Tucker. You may be required to sever your still immature bond. The stronger it becomes, the harder it will be to sever without danger to both of you."

"Neither of us wishes to server our bond," T'Pol refused with a rigid stance. "We have suffered many hardships to establish this relationship."

"If you wish to remain bonded, you must keep a strict meditation routine and it is imperative to include Commander Tucker in it," Soval instructed, seeing her resolve to remain bonded. "This will reduce the spontaneous manifestations of your connection. You must not meditate while Commander Tucker is in a situation where a spontaneous... 'day dream', as he calls it, might put him in danger. You shall also consider living off duty for a Vulcan year."

"Is that the reason behind the tradition of residing together for a year after marriage?" T'Pol inquired.

"Yes. Traditionally the mating bond is initiated by a mind meld during the wedding ceremony. The year of residence together is the time that is needed to let the bond mature. However, there are instances of bonding without the bonding meld, usually caused by mutual deep affection for each other and frequent direct contact, as it appears to have happened to you."

"It is true; we share a strong mutual affection. And we shared frequent direct contact in the past as well," she said with a slight blush, caused by sharing such intimate information.

"It is agreeable to see that you and the Commander live by the teachings of Surak. Most unfortunately many of our people have not yet returned to the Vulcan way. Many, like Minister V'Lon, therefore experience fear."

"Why should we pose a danger?" T'Pol asked with a questioning look.

"It is not themselves, who they are eager to protect. It is the power they wield."

"I understand."

"Is there anything further that I can do to provide assistance?" Soval asked

"I meant to ask you to accompany us to Vulcan. It is my belief that your legal counsel may be of great help when we face the High Council to defend our actions."

"I shall do so, T'Pol-kan," the ambassador agreed immediately. "May I ask how you plan to defend yourself?"

"I do not have a planned course of action, yet. I wish to speak to my mate about the matter. I have learned that he frequently finds solutions that others do not see. They often appear illogical or unconventional, but they can be most effective."

"I could see that myself during my stay aboard Enterprise," Soval said and let go of her hands. "He is a most fascinating man. I share your belief, that he will provide a solution."

"I shall go now; there is a great deal of preparations to do. I'm grateful for your counsel, Osavensu."

"Go, T'Pol-kan, I shall prepare to arrange transport to Vulcan."

-=/\=-

Trip entered the mess hall after waking up from his medically induced sleep. His pale face was a dead giveaway that he was definitely not well. After collecting a sandwich and a hot strong coffee, he sat down at a table on the far side and started his meal absentmindedly.

"May I?" Hoshi asked.

"Sure. Know where T'Pol is?" he asked back, indicating her to take a seat.

"She's down on Earth for some preparations, don't know exactly what."

"Ah," Trip remembered. "She's getting us something to wear. We decided to wear civilian clothes to avoid that the hearing falls back on Starfleet."

"You might as well need them." Hoshi sighed sadly. Noticing his puzzled look, she explained the latest news.

"You and T'Pol were summoned to the Vulcan High Council at the end of the week already. They are not very happy. You almost attacked a Minister and when you collapsed, she told him to go to hell in Vulcan."

Trip's eyes launched into a formidable saucer imitation. "I'll be damned – she did what? They're gonna chew our butts." Thinking hard for a moment, he addressed her again. "I need something from you. I need everything you have about Vulcan culture and tradition, especially anything about the newfangled Kir'Shara and maybe some language program. Looks like I need to know at least some basic Vulcan phrases."

"Ashayam, eh?" Hoshi chuckled.

"What?"

"After you collapsed, she called you Ashayam and cradled you in her arms, in front of the whole audience. After that Koss flipped off his dad and walked out."

"What does it mean?" Trip asked, still trying to get a grasp of the latest news.

"It means ... beloved, Commander." Hoshi whispered and turned to go.

"She did say that out loud?" Trip wondered wide-eyed.

"I'll have a crewman deliver the PADDs." she evaded the answer with an enigmatic smile, before leaving.

-=/\=-

Trip sat on his bunk with a stack of PADDs sifting through the vast amount of information before him. He would only have a handful of days to brace himself for the shit storm that the Vulcan High Council would cast at them, but he had started to work on a plan to bail out T'Pol and he was determined to hold his own against V'Lon this time. Dealing with the pain and rage that ravaged his soul had to wait. He couldn't burden T'Pol with that and he firmly buried these feelings inside.

"Protective reflexes..." he muttered silently. "So when one mate is attacked or mates are forcefully separated ... disturbance in the bond ... malicious interference with a bond ... wonder what that V'Lon fella has to say about that..."

The door chime signaled the arrival of an eagerly awaited visitor.

"Come," he said, keeping his attention on the PADD's.

"You are busy?" she asked as she entered his room.

"There's always time for you, Ashayam," he answered softly.

T'Pol stopped dead in her tracks with a very elevated eyebrow.

"Would've liked to be conscious when you first said it, but you can't have everything." With that, he rose from his bunk and drew her into a passionate embrace and kissed her. His very surprised mate dropped the bag she had been carrying and eagerly returned his hug.

"Are you well?" she asked, breathing heavily from the very passionate lip contact.

"I'm still pretty beat, but the headache's gone. Hoshi told me what happened and what you called me and that creep. Didn't know that Vulcans could cuss off each other," he chuckled and gave her a playful pat on her delicious derriere.

"The Minister succeeded in making us lose control. We will have to answer for that before the High Council."

"Sure thing, but I'm working on a plan, and you'll teach me some heavy duty meditating until then. This time I won't break down again. I just found some nice things in that Kir'Shara translation. I bet a certain Minister will get a bad headache soon."

"Your determination honors you. We will have to practice relentlessly. What are you researching?" she asked pointing at the stack of PADDs.

"All sort of Vulcan stuff. Culture, traditions, rituals, some language," he explained with a chuckle at the elevated brow that pushed towards her hair line, "I thought it might help to get at least the basic introductions and gestures right on Vulcan, and as I said, there are some passages in the Kir'Shara that the creep had better read before messing with us."

"It appears I underestimated your determination." she said in admiration of his resolve and awarded his enthusiasm with a kiss.

"I would really like to keep smooching you, darlin', but for now we have a lot of stuff to do. Got our clothes?" he asked, gathering the PADDs into a neat stack.

"Yes. My mother had told me after you left Vulcan that you have almost exactly the same stature as my father, so selecting clothing for you was not difficult."

"Great, so how about we start the meditation practice right away?"

"It would be better if we used my quarters for that. All the needed utensils are there. Please meet me in 30 minutes," she said.

While she prepared to leave for her quarters, her mate made a point of stealing another kiss before releasing her.

-=/\=-

"Archer to Commander T'Pol."

"T'Pol here," came the answer after a lengthy wait.

"Can you join me in my ready room? We have new information about yesterday."

"Shall I bring Commander Tucker as well?"

"Is he in your quarters?"

"Practicing meditation in the mess hall would be ... most ineffective," T'Pol answered coolly, completely oblivious to the fact that she just made a wisecrack again.

"Okay, okay. I'll be waiting. Archer out," the captain answered chuckling and shook his head.

-=/\=-

"Hi, Capt'n." Trip greeted him 5 minutes later.

"Sit down you two. I've some things to tell you."

"T'Pol, the Vulcan High Council is less than thrilled about your show of friendly concern for Trip. Obviously cradling someone like that is not common workplace practice on Vulcan. V'Lon and some Admiral V'Kar press to have you two separated to different posts and they even threaten to leave the Coalition to achieve that."

"A most foreseeable development." T'Pol asserted dryly.

"Well, Cap'n. I can't go into detail, but you have to expect to lose both your first officer and your chief engineer rather soon," Trip said firmly. "I'm pretty sure we'll both return from Vulcan, but we may not be able to stay on the ship much longer. I think we'll have to leave duty for a while. I have started working on a plan for bailing out T'Pol with the High Council. I'm not yet done with it, but I found some neat details about Vulcan traditions that could give that V'Lon guy quite a bad headache."

Both T'Pol and the captain looked at him expectantly.

"Care to be more specific Trip? You'll both leave?" Archer asked.

"Can't be more specific; as I said I haven't got all the answers I need yet. And even when I have all of them, I won't fill anybody in, not even T'Pol. We only have one chance, and I'd rather be dead than wasting it. I'll file for leave of absence. If you want my recommendation, make Anna a Lieutenant-Commander and hand over the keys to engineering, she's damn good."

"Shall I vacate my post too?" T'Pol asked.

Trip nodded. "But only if you have trust in my plan. I wouldn't want to drag you into anything you don't like. I really can't tell you beforehand, so you have to trust me blindly."

"I do," she said firmly. "Captain, you should contact Starfleet about a new First Officer."

"Damn! Trip! You can't jump ship now!" the captain pleaded in frustration.

"Captain, the Vulcans want to get rid of us anyways. If they go as far as publicly abusing me to reach their goal, they won't stop. If I defeat V'Lon, he may be gone from the VHC, but we'll have to disappear from the radar for a while until the Vulcans get their heads around that Kir'Shara thing. I've heard that this cute Minister T'Pau does a decent job and T'Pol's fate may be depending on me winning her over."

T'Pol went stiff as a board, her hands clenched in fists. "What does winning over mean?" she asked hotly and with flaring nostrils, surprising the Captain, but not Trip.

"Well, T'Pol, you just gave me a clue, that my plan might work just fine," he grinned with a hint of menace. "Winning over means I'll have to convince her of my logic. You may not believe it, but sometimes we humans can teach a Vulcan a thing or two about logic."

"I have no doubt in your logic Commander." she returned in visible relief. T'Pol realized that he had just tested a very specific property of their bond; an illogical move, especially in front of the Captain. But she resigned herself to following his lead in this matter. Her mate seemed to have a plan.

"Trip, that sounds like you are taking a huge risk," the Captain objected, deciding not to ask about the spectacle he had just witnessed.

"Cap'n, I sat as ranking officer bang smack in the middle between the Andorian and Vulcan fleets – twice – want to give me any lectures about risks?" Trip replied dryly. Such a question from a man, who should know about risk-management best, seemed rather ridiculous.

"Damn! Well, what can I say," the captain sighed. "Best of luck to you two. Gotta go hunting for a new first officer and a chief now."

-=/\=-

"Hoshi, call Admiral Gardner and transfer the transmission to my ready room," he ordered through the intercom after a lengthy pause to sort his feelings.

"Aye, Captain."

It took 10 minutes before a flashing light announced the incoming return call.

"Admiral."

"Jon, if you call again about yesterday, I can't tell you more than Samuels."

"No explanations needed, Admiral," Archer said dismissively. "I know all I need to know. Suffice to say, you have a very angry and disillusioned flagship crew at hand, Sir. I call about something else. I need two new officers. T'Pol and Tucker are filing for indefinite leave of absence. And trust me, I can understand them."

"Are they trying to avoid the rap from the Vulcan High Council?"

"No, they're preparing for it. They think they can get out of it with both sides satisfied. And I would guess they are not very happy with being members of Starfleet right now, anyway." Archer replied angrily, not happy with his friends being accused of cowardice.

"Relieving them of duty before their hearing would get us into even more trouble with the Vulcans," Gardner said, shaking his head. "They're going to think we condone their actions and hide them from the VHC. But I can relieve them of their assignment. They'd have to report to Headquarters when ordered, but can go wherever they want, as long as they let us know where they are. They'll be reporting to me personally. That's the best I can offer."

"I think that will have to be good enough. Can I come down and go through some proposals with you?"

"Good idea, I have some of my own. 1900, my office."

"Aye, Admiral. Archer out."

-=/\=-

"Trip," T'Pol began after they finished another lengthy meditation session. "I am most uncomfortable with your secrecy."

"I know darlin' and I hate to keep it from you, but I don't wanna risk anything. What if they do that mind melding business on you and spoil our chances? One of those fancy nerve pinches and you are unconscious; they would do a mind meld and know everything. If only I know about it there's no chance for them to get the clue, because most of them will be too damn afraid of my 'unchecked emotions' to attempt a meld. Pretty sure they will expect you to have prepared the defense anyways. They think I'm just a waste of skin and organs, meaning they won't think I would come up with a plan," Trip explained as he returned to his stack of PADD's.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.