USA - Cover

USA

Copyright© 2016 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 22

"Good for you," Cousin Into, the Suomen ulkoministeriön designated Nordic Attaché stationed in Beaumont, Texas, said, "I wouldn't either."

"You got any idea where Eels is?" I asked.

"Sure," Into said. Conspiratorially, he whispered, "He's in the Mediterranean. Close to Cyprus. There's an abandoned Fleet Coaling Station there. Lots of good coal but no machinery. Shovels, refugees and lifeboats. About a ton per boat."

"The ship?"

Into Valmaat took his glasses out of in inner pocket, opened his ever present leather briefcase, took out a paper and began to read:

"The SS Grosser Kurfürst, a steel-hulled, twin-screw, passenger-and-cargo steamship launched on 2 December 1899 at Danzig, Germany, by the shipbuilding firm of F. Schichau for the North German Lloyd line. Grosser Kurfürst had "enormous carrying capacity" and "excellent passenger accommodation" for all classes from first to steerage.

"She made her maiden voyage to Asiatic and Australian ports before commencing regularly scheduled voyages in spring 1900 between Bremen and New York City; these lasted until summer 1914. In winter seasons she did eight more tours to Australia on the German Empire mail route. Her last start to Australia was 7 January 1912. Over these years she was the biggest ship sailing to Australia. At this time she made some cruises for U.S. tourists.

"When war broke out in Europe, Grosser Kurfürst was forced to seek shelter in American waters. The United States Government interned these ships wherever they had put into port, and upon the entrance of the United States into the hostilities on 6 April 1917 — took them over for "safe keeping."

Into put the paper away, polished his glasses, put them in his suit jacket pocket and continued:

"Allowed to deteriorate in the States, she was bought by committee and refitted for the purpose of moving the maximum possible number of European Jews to Palestine and force the English hand.

"The British Fleet has been blocking entry to the promised land. Turned away from Gibraltar, time after time, out in the Atlantic, the ship ran out of fuel, a tug was sent but it, too, ran out of fuel.

"Eels, with your official looking US Navy tugboat, has moved them into the Med.

"He's going to tow the ship within steaming distance, fire the boilers with the Fleet coal, and see them off. The Jews intend to run the ship ashore. You should hear something by Sunday."

"The Fleet just left them in the Atlantic Ocean during hurricane season?" I asked. "How many people?"

"Over eight thousand, all men," Into said. "Not one English Jew."

"Left To DIE?"

"When asked, the Admiral in command said, 'Their fate is out of my hands. They are in International Waters. They are in violation of law. I have my orders.'"

"So what do I do?" I asked.

"Do you know, really know, where Eels is?" Into asked.

"No."

"From his personal communications to you, do you know what his intentions are?"

"No."

"Tell them that. Just that. No rumors or guessing. I'm going to see if I can get you released back to your sailboat."

It turned out that Into Valmaat, Nordic Attaché extraordinaire, had bullied his way into seeing me. He flashed his credentials at the least FBI minion guarding the door to my presence.

Nordic Attaché: The Nordic states, Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Finland and Denmark, decided it would be more economical to have one Embassy in Washington DC representing all five countries, than to have five buildings in one of the most expensive towns of the world. One switchboard for five people. One secretary for five countries. One building.

The Attachés, several from each country, represented the region and the individual country. At least when it was necessary to have an expert conversant in state politics on hand there was one available. Politics on the cheap.

The thirteen other agents arrived at the Coast Guard Station expecting to browbeat me into submission ... they were surprised on three accounts: The smell from my dinner lingered almost as long as did the odor of my Michigan Dads Oyster Stew; the room had more than one occupant; said occupant could not be dislodged due to Diplomatic Immunity.

Wailing and gnashing of teeth.

After thirty minutes of the same questions asked fifteen different ways, Into said, "Gentlemen ... David has answered that ... move on."

Except they had no 'Move on' to move on to.

"Answered that." "That, too." "And that."

Ten more minutes and Into said, "Without a valid reason to keep him ... David, get your coat ... we're leaving."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.