USA - Cover

USA

Copyright© 2016 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 21

They were only gone for a flicker, but Heather, now dressed in a Roman toga, came back in total awe. She was positively grinning.

"Gods and goddesses, time travel, history as it's taught in school is so wrong ... magic!" she exclaimed. "And I can't tell anyone." Her grin turned upside down and her bottom lip protruded.

She hugged herself.

"Now that that's out of the way, Wendy," Seven said. "I believe you want to know what's happening with ... or to ... your husband. Let me instruct you in the proper care and feeding of the Invisibility Mode of your Watch."

The lesson was thorough, comprehensive and enlightening ... and none of your damn business. If you have a watch ... you already know. If you don't?

I was in the small room, by myself, when Wendy spoke in my ear.

"So, my man," she said. "What's up?"

"Wendy!" I had tried to stand up without moving the chair. My legs ... knees, mostly ... came into abrupt contact with the sharp, hard edge of the table. "OW!"

The exclamation drew observers into the room. I was sitting in the chair, rubbing my knees, with both hands. I heard the Government agents enter. The looks they gave me were inquisitive.

"I got stung ... or bit ... or something ... and tried to stand up. I forgot about shoving the chair back. Whacked my knees something awful."

The FBI, already convinced that they were the most intelligent group of men on the planet, looked at me like they were surveying a sub-species.

"Idiot," was heard from somewhere in the back of the suit wearing men. They filed out in the order of their importance and shut the door.

"Wendy?" I said.

"Yes."

"How? ... uhm ... never mind. The watch?" I surmised.

"Yes, you didn't come for supper." Wendy said, "I got worried and called for back-up." She giggled. "Seven showed up by herself. Toga party somewhere in time. The other Six didn't come.

"So?" she asked.

"I've been detained while they check my bonafides, or so they said," I explained.

"Do you need me to contact any one?"

"Call Washington, the Embassy and get someone sent here ... and call a lawyer. Tuobro is up to something with the big tug and they think I'm responsible."

"Okay." She did things to her watch and spoke into it. The watch must have answered because she said, "Thank you," and stopped talking to it.

"Want supper?"

"That is it?"

"Lihakaalilaatikko Cabbage Casserole. Baked. Smells like cabbage, tastes like a million bucks." She grinned. "Seven tried it ... she didn't want to, but I insisted. She has the recipe."

My stomach growled like a lion.

"That's a yes," Wendy said.

"The gods eat?"

"Seven claims they're not gods."

"What does she say they are?"

"Exceptionally well trained scientists," Wendy said. "'Pull the other one, ' I told her.

"I'll be back," She said and faded into nothing.

Pretty soon, the door opened and the least minion escorted Wendy in the door. Cabbage ... baked! emanated from the basket she carried. The minion had his nose clamped shut.

"Lihakaalilaatikko," I said. "Mmmm! Smells just like mom made it." I sniffed the air. "With lingonberries!"

When I sniffed, I thought the Special Agent was going to vomit.

I grabbed the basket and opened it. "Want some?" I asked the Agent?

He fled ... gagging.

We spread the cloth, set the table and commenced laying out the food. There was hapanleipä sour bread, a dark, sour bread produced in quantity in Finland, where it is the most popular type of bread.

Compared with the more internationally popular German style, Finnish rye-breads tend to be less oily or moist in texture. The most common types of Finnish rye breads are not sweet, unlike Swedish rye breads. Rye bread is notable for its resistance to spoiling; it may store for weeks or months without developing mold. Additionally, if left on the table, it quickly dries into a crisp that stores indefinitely. (Wiki)

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.