USA - Cover

USA

Copyright© 2016 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 19

"You are being detained," the SAC said again. "We can hold you for 72 hours while we check your ID and fingerprints. As long as you are detained we don't have to let you speak, call or contact anyone."

"Okay ... you're certain of that?"

"We're the FBI."

They seemed to have forgotten Wendy. When I didn't come to the boat for the evening meal, she called for the Powers that Be.

Seven showed up alone, she was wearing a toga.

"Partay, partay, partay," she said. It looked like she'd just been in a Conga line, "One, two, three, Kick," Sounded like it, too. "One, two, three, Kick. Hi, Wendy ... when did you get here?"

She looked around, "Umh ... when did I get here?"

"Just now," Wendy said.

"Problems?" Seven asked.

"David didn't come home for dinner and I baked his favorite. Lihakaalilaatikko Cabbage Casserole," Wendy said

"That sounds positively awful," Seven said, holding her nose, "Smells bad, too."

"Here," Wendy speared a bite, "Taste it."

"Do I have to?"

"Yes," Wendy said.

So, Seven tried it, "Oh ... that's absolutely nummy. What's in it?"

Wendy brought out her grandmothers recipe box. "It's under L."

With sufficient prodding, Seven was induced to read it ... in Finn.

Wendy translated."

1 small cabbage, shredded.

1⁄4 cup minced onion.

2 tablespoons salted butter

2 tablespoons molasses

2 teaspoons salt

White pepper to taste

1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground marjoram

1⁄4 teaspoon allspice

1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 pound lean ground beef

1 cup breadcrumbs

1⁄2 cup whole milk

2 eggs, beaten

2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot, simmer the cabbage in boiling water to cover until tender-crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes; drain.
Remove from heat and add the onion, butter, syrup, salt, white pepper, marjoram, allspice, and nutmeg and stir well to combine.
In another bowl, mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, milk, and eggs.
Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
Place a layer of the cabbage mixture into the dish, then a layer or meat mixture; repeat until mixtures are used up, ending with the cabbage.
Sprinkle with the Parmesan then bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.Let sit for 5 minutes before serving, then serve alongside lingonberries, cranberry sauce, or currant jelly."

"That tartly sweet?" Seven asked.

"Lingonberries ... in this case, preserves. David is allergic to grape, so we brought a 55gallon drum."

"He's allergic to grape?" Seven was shocked.

"Uh huh," Wendy confirmed.

"No wine?" Seven whined.

"Not a drop," Wendy said.

"How does he make it through the day?"

"Beer,"

Seven gagged.

Wendy said, "And moonshine."

"That's even worse," Seven said. "You have me here for a reason?"

"Check on David?" asked Wendy.

"Why don't you?" Seven replied. "You have the watch.

"They'll see me," Wendy said.

"Invisibility Mode, woman," Seven said. "Use the Invisibility setting."

"You didn't tell me that!" Wendy exclaimed. She shook her watch wrist.

"Give me that," Seven said. The watch moved from Wendy to the aspiring goddess.

"Look, Where is he? We need to know that first."

"Just a second," Wendy said. "Heather? Is David still in the Coast Guard Station?

Heather said, "I haven't seen them move him. The boat the men in suits came in is still there."

Heather turned around and saw Seven ... for the FIRST time.

The Powers that Be are all the same size. Sorta big. Not giants but bigger than life. It's called stage presence. Easily seen.

"Eep!" said Heather, "Who is that? How did she get here? How did I miss her? She is really big."

Except it was all said in one breath, very fast and sounded like this: Whoisthathowdid shegetherehowdidImisshersheisreallybig?

"Heather? Remember when we hired you?" Wendy said. "We said adventurous? This is Seven. She is part of the adventure."

Seven said, "Pleased to meet you, Heather. Your last name is Kensington. Your mother was abandoned by her husband just before you were born. They're both dead. Close your mouth dear."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.