4 - Clan Amir: The Day of Blood - Cover

4 - Clan Amir: The Day of Blood

Copyright 2007 by Ernest Bywater as Ernest Edwards

Chapter 03

Amarant Again

The battle has been raging for nearly an hour. The Guards and the US Marines are running seriously short of ammunition, but neither are attempting to conserve ammunition. Any reduction in fire power is an invitation to be overrun. Even the better defensive position hasn’t saved the Marines because several have died and half of them are wounded, but they’re still fighting with all they have. Most of C Company are dead or wounded. The line would’ve broken, except for the militia and retired Guards who live nearby. They join the line and replace the fallen. Even with this help every minute sees it thin out again. However, the attackers are paying a much higher price because their bodies are piled so high some of the avenues of attack aren’t available any more, that includes the best ones. They can’t fire while trying to keep their footing on the piled bodies of their own dead. The destroyed armoured cars have already burnt out, so now they’re just smoking ruins blocking the road. The whole battle front is choked with the bodies of dead attackers.

One of the wounded Marines, unable to fire a rifle due to a shoulder wound, but able to watch and walk is watching the road behind them from the ridge top. He jogs up to Captain Walters to report a group of military transports racing along the road. Ambassador Hedley and Captain Walters go to the ridge to study the approaching troops. The smiling Ambassador says, “Thank heavens, it’s the Third Claymore, the Rocks.”

A smiling Captain Walters orders, “Private Lincoln, go down there, wait beside the road, and give them a brief of the situation. Tell them we’re almost out of ammunition.” A very happy private heads down the hill toward the in-bound support force.

Turning back to the battle both Hedley and Walters notice new troops with light armoured support moving through the streets just behind the defenders’ line. Their lead scouts are joining the line. Ambassador Hedley says, “We may not have got here in time to save the King, but we’re able to help keep those scum out of the city. I don’t know about you, but that makes me feel happy and proud of your people, Captain, very proud.”

Captain Walters smiles and nods while she thinks, Most of us may live through this yet.

The Green Raptors and the Rocks with them are moving across the school grounds while firing into the enemy. The Raptors move up to the defenders’ line and provide extra cover. Ammunition is shared out and medics attend to the wounded. They don’t have enough forces to take the fight to the enemy, but they do have enough to keep them out of Amarant. Also, the militia are forming up about a kilometre back and are getting ready to attack the enemy’s flank in strength.

Private Lincoln delivers a quick briefing to Colonel Rochester who then rolls her troop transports over the hill to set up in front of the Marines. With their better protection of the armoured vehicles with their heavy machine-guns they all pour a deadly rain of fire into the enemy. But there’s so many attackers and so few defenders. At least they now have enough troops and ammunition to keep them contained for a longer time, and to ensure they stay out of the city while they can keep firing.


General Saunders, Commander of Wolf Pack One, the attacking force, isn’t happy. Standing in his command centre he’s rounding on his tactical staff by saying, “We started with a force of ten thousand men and we’re stopped by a few companies and civilians. What sort of useless troops did they give me? I’d have been better off using Girl Scouts. We’ve suffered over thirty percent casualties and we’re not even in the city yet! Any ideas on what to do now?”

At 10:43 a.m. everyone outside stares at two giant falcons dropping from the sky just north of the valley while their claws extend ready to attack prey. The claws spit flame while twin sonic booms roll over the fields. Starting at the far end of the valley they fly up it while pouring cannon and rocket fire into the enemy troops. The semi-trailers aren’t shot up, they’re shredded by the fire. Many troops just vanish, many more fall, dead or dying. The screams of the wounded are almost louder than the firing. Vehicles and people are cut to pieces.

General Saunders raises his head at the sonic booms, and it’s the last movement he makes alive. The cannon fire rips apart his command trailer while the equipment and people working it are blown to bits. The radio interference ends with the equipment. So do the hopes of the attackers because most of them are now dead, dying, or wounded. He and his entire staff are turned into pulp when the machine-gun and cannon fire cuts them into small pieces.

Nearing the end of the valley the fighters cease firing. They don’t want any friendly fire incidents. They both do a victory roll when they pass over the knot of Marines and Rocks. The radio comes alive with, “For the people, semper fi. Call us if you need any more help. Bird One, out.” Another set of sonic booms sound when they climb out of sight while still heading south.

In an awed voice Hedley says, “They aren’t Peregrines, they’re too big.”

Colonel Rochester softly says, “So that’s the big surprise the little bugger’s been working on.” At the odd looks from Captain Walters, the Ambassador, and her people she adds, “No, they weren’t Peregrines. The markings on the upper wings were shields. They’re from the Protector’s Own. For some months my dear little brother’s been ribbing me about his new combat air support. I’d say that was it on its fire power test. Have to give the little bugger points for the weapons pods. When I first saw those claws come out I thought they were live birds, scared me somewhat.” They all nod in agreement. With the wings painted like a giant bird in flight and the weapons pods extending out like claws it’s very realistic.

Realising Colonel Rochester has to be a member of the Royal Family with the Royal Protector being her younger brother Ambassador Hedley says, “Pardon me, but you should know when we first arrived I identified what looked like the bodies of King Edward, King Herbert, and Queen Lara among the fallen defenders.”

Turning to look at the Ambassador and the Captain she says, “Thank you for your assistance. In a moment, can you please show me where you think they are?” Turning aside she orders her Swords into the field to take the surrender of the living enemy troops before they can get their act together to cause more trouble. They need to get them unarmed and under control before someone takes command.

Captain Walters replies, “Yes, I can lead you to their approximate locations.” The Colonel nods her head in thanks.

It takes only twenty minutes to disarm and accept the surrender of the remaining attackers. Speaking to the senior living combat officer they learn a full division of ten thousand troops had been sent against Amarant with the intent of killing all of the Royals and capturing the city. Luckily for the defenders the attacker’s choice of battlefield worked against their numbers. Too many troops with too little combat space, no room to move in with few lanes of attack.

With a platoon of Rocks for security Colonel Rochester and Captain Walters walk the battlefield. They locate the body of King Edward at the bottom of a pile of dead troops. An honour guard is placed beside the body. She picks up his sword, sheaths it, and carries it while they continue the search. The scene is repeated at the body of King Herbert. At Queen Lara’s position they find an unconscious school girl wounded and lying across the Queen’s body. The medics are gentle when they take her away for treatment. Picking up the sheath of The Sound of Battle Colonel Rochester draws the sword out of the ground, and carries it unsheathed. She dare not sheath this, not until Gerry has said so, because this war is far from over. She thinks it’s just beginning.

Moving along the defenders’ line Colonel Rochester finds Harold amongst the wounded with a head wound and concussion. She has him taken to a hospital with a platoon of Rocks as constant body guard. Further along the line she identifies other dead family members. As well as two grandmothers, two aunts, an uncle, and several cousins, she finds her sisters (Alice, Bernadette, and Harriette), her brothers (Allan, Charles, and Brian), then most sad of all, Sunara and beside her is what’s left of Amarayah. She can identify Amarayah only because of the bracelet on her left ankle because everything above the waist is gone. Colonel Rochester had been able to keep herself in control until then. This was one too many. The tears start to flow, and she can’t stop them.

She’s still crying when Major Chesway approaches for orders. Seeing her crying, and recognising far too many faces amongst the dead, he leaves her be. He’s from the Amiri tribe and he knows many of the dead are Amir Clan. He grew up and went to school with many of them. Turning, he walks back to the Amarant Militia commander. He orders the commander to have his people process the enemy dead. Photos, DNA samples taken, fingerprints, and take the bodies to the local processing plant to be turned into fertiliser. Prisoners are to be moved to another field nearby and processed too.

Several minutes later Major Chesway approaches Colonel Rochester again and he informs her of his actions. She nods, “Thank you. I’ll have to resign after this, and I’ll be recommending you be given the command.” Knowing she’s a career officer intending to stay in until retirement he gives her a questioning look. She adds, “Too many of the line dead. My parents, grandparents, half of my siblings, most of the court advisers. My brother-in-law, the new King, will need me at Highcliff to help run the government. But even if that wasn’t so, after seeing my niece there, dead like that. I don’t think I can trust myself to stop killing them all when we next come up against these scum in combat.” He nods his understanding. He knew she was Clan Amir, but he didn’t know she was a Princess, not until now.

She continues, “The fools who planned this have no idea what they’ve done.” He’s shocked when she turns to him with an evil smile, “For years my brother, Prince Edward, has wanted to take the fight to the enemy’s own doorstep. Only the combined efforts of both our parents stopped him doing so. But now they lie there dead, so does his eldest daughter, what little remains of her. Nothing will stop him hunting down the scum who planned this, nothing. I’ll get many an evening’s entertainment thinking about how he’s going to make them suffer and pay for today. He won’t rest, not until they’re all dealt with.” The Major is extremely shocked by the hate in her eyes and voice. He nods in understanding, one with such a hate shouldn’t be on the battle field, especially not in command of troops. It’s good she realises this and is resigning. “As soon as you can contact the next of kin for our dead. When the enemy dead are removed I want a large grave dug over there, just back from the road. As is our tradition we’ll bury our clan dead there in a mass grave. Also, those not collected by their family will be buried with them. That area will become a park with a memorial to them. I just wish we didn’t need so many memorials.” He nods his understanding while he moves off to give the required orders. He, too, wishes they needed fewer memorials to dead heroes.

Several minutes later she has a grim smile when he tells her the attackers suffered five thousand eight hundred and sixty-seven dead with two thousand and seventy-six badly wounded while only two thousand and seventy-three are general prisoners who are healthy or walking wounded.

At 11:30 a.m. Colonel Rochester contacts Command directly to give her report of the situation and the fateful toll to Isobelle. She can hear her sister crying while she takes the names down.


Dareena

In early 2004 the 5th Claymore, the Urbans, moved into new barracks on the south-western outskirts of Dareena. The locals are proud of the base because it shows the importance of the city with two Guards bases. The Fifth at the city edge with the Fishers’ main base in the mountains just north of town. The boost to the local economy is also welcome. The economy in this part of the city was very depressed, and a major factor in deciding the final location of the base within the region. Since moving in the Urbans have made themselves welcome with various community projects by providing the labour to refurbish playgrounds, parks, and similar projects.


On 21 October, 2008, at 9:30 a.m. two companies of Urbans are on the parade ground preparing to move out because they’ll be refurbishing a local community hall and play centre today. At 9:46 a.m. the Clay Comm warning crashes over the radio. Everybody scrambles for their combat equipment, protective barriers are raised, the main gate security detail yell warnings to the nearby locals. Telling them, “Get off the streets, war emergency declared.”

At 9:55 a.m. a large force of soldiers on foot surge out of a nearby gully to fire at the base. The Urbans return fire. A second force charges over the hills a bit more east and further along the city’s edge. Colonel Benson dispatches D, E, and F Companies to move along the city edge to keep them out. Soon several buildings are on fire from enemy mortar and rocket attacks. Colonel Benson sends C Company to protect the city’s western edge because it’s nearer the mountains. B Company is defending the base perimeter while A Company is split into two forces of roving reserves.

Fire-fighters responding to the fires come under rifle fire. They notice the Guards don’t have enough heavy vehicles to block the streets to deny easy access to the invaders. Volunteers drive their heavy trucks up to the ends of the houses, turn side on, and use the trucks to create road blocks. Thus hindering the enemy access while providing good cover to the defenders. Some of the local residents are retired Guards and they join the lines tending to the wounded. Some by taking up the weapons of fallen Guards then they’re filling the gaps in the line.

It’s 10:05 a.m. and the attackers have lost over two companies of men while gaining only a few metres of ground. They can’t believe the accuracy and intensity of the defender’s fire. Colonel Denning is watching the battle from a secure position on the hill, and he’s very concerned. The briefings said they were fighting a despotic regime and the locals will rise in a popular rebellion to help them. However, he’s seeing old men and high-school seniors supporting the defending soldiers and joining them in fighting back. Just like they’d do at home. He’s beginning to think they’ve been lied to, but why?


At the Fishers Base Colonel Stannis establishes secure defences upon receipt of the alert. Now he’s in conference with his senior staff to discuss the base response to the situation when they’re told of the attack on Dareena. From their location they can see across the city, and the perimeter guards report the action.

Captain Greta Mannheim, Commander A Company, says, “Sir, request permission to draw heavily on ammunition stores. I’ve a rescue to carry out in the face of a heavy shark attack, of the two legged kind.”

Colonel Stannis replies, “I’m not sure we’re authorised to engage in combat roles.”

She replies, “Sir, we’re Guards first, rescue people second. I know King Herbert won’t expect us all to go charging into combat like foot soldiers. However, he’ll expect those of us who can, in good conscience, attack the enemy, and have the equipment to do so, to attack the enemy to defend our people.”

The Colonel responds, “I’m glad you know the King’s mind so well. I’ve met him, and I’m not so sure.”

With a smile she says, “Yes, Sir, I do know his mind well. My father, General Mannheim named me for two of my grandmothers - Greta and Mara. You met him some years ago when we were here to bury my sister, Danielle. I’m taking my chopper and all of the ammunition it can carry, we’ll drop the deck crew at the base because they’ll need all of the medics they can get, and then take to the air to fire upon the enemy. I’m Amir, I belong in the front line.” All are surprised by the announcement of her lineage and her relationship to Dani-girl.

Colonel Stannis looks at her for a moment before turning to his officers to say, “Get the choppers in the air. Those that are armed, and wish to, will drop medical personnel and supplies to the city then do what you can. The rest can perform medical evacuation duties. Let’s go.” The room quickly empties with people dashing to the armoury and the flight line. Within minutes helicopters are rising from the landing field. For the first time all three companies of helicopters are taking to the air at once, one hundred and twenty of them. The lead unit is carrying Colonel Stannis and the mobile Air Traffic Control team. All radio frequencies are blocked with static, but their very high-powered sets, extra power for longer range at sea, can be heard through it at close range.

At 10:25 a.m. the huge flight of choppers is seen by both sides when it sweeps down into the city. The attackers open fire on them. As per plan no fire is returned, that’s for after their delivery of medics and supplies. The lead elements study the area behind and close to the lines. Then they use every spot a chopper can land in. Like a precision instrument the helicopters land, the people and supplies quickly exit, they take off, the next lands. The last twenty to land will be working as Medivac only. The rest will work in ten groups of ten choppers.

Having delivered the medics, extra ammunition, and extra medical supplies the helicopters rise. They turn away from the battle while they gain altitude and the gunners swing the machine-guns out. When she lifts her helicopter up Greta, the lead pilot, sees a valley full of troops and semi-trailers. One has lots of cables to it with many officers nearby.

Smiling, she activates her radio, “All Hooks, Alpha Prime, form on me. I’ve spotted their command, let’s give them a real warm welcome gift. Hold your fire until we’re ready to hit them. Sweep across their front and the valley in staggered formation, five birds per line.” Soon her door gunner reports all of the birds have their machine-guns out and are ready. Still climbing they form up, turn toward the enemy, and take a shallow dive toward the valley. Five helicopters in a line, each behind and to the side of the one in front so they won’t interfere with each other’s firing arcs to the side and forward. A small gap, and another line, twenty lines in all.

Sweeping in across the front line and into the end of the valley they open up with their heavy machine-guns to pour seven hundred and twenty rounds per minute per gun into the enemy lines. The targets are so thick the gunners don’t need to aim and work the trigger as they hold the triggers down while they wave them over the target areas. The sudden fire catches the enemy by surprise to cause heavy casualties in their front lines. But that’s nothing compared to the havoc they cause in the valley. Units are forming up to charge the Urbans and there’s no cover in the valley except the trucks. Their appearance and heavy fire causes panic when troops run about seeking non-existent cover while dying in droves. Greta tells her gunner to concentrate on the command truck.


General Yardley, the Commanding Officer of the five thousand attackers, is in his command trailer reviewing the tactical information provided by the cable fed cameras and phone links. He saw the choppers land and unload medics and supplies, but they’re now above the camera angles and no one’s reported their gunfire yet. So he thinks they’re going back for more supplies.

He hears yelling outside and the trailer starts to shake, he doesn’t hear the extra gunfire because the machine-gun fire is masked by the sounds of general combat. At the other end of the trailer the radio jamming equipment and their operators start to explode when high velocity armour piercing 9 mm rounds punch through them destroying both radios and people. The flail of bullets is quick to move down the trailer. Like his staff he’s still standing taking in the situation when they’re all ripped apart by the bullets. In seconds the trailer is a burning wreck of dead men and destroyed equipment. The radio interference ends, so does the attacker’s command structure. The deadly flail of bullets moves up the valley killing attackers in job lots. While some manage to return fire there’s no real damage done to the helicopters.


On the road at the far end of the valley, and about to turn into the main valley, are five armoured cars in a one-two-two formation. Their armament consists of a four barrelled turret of 40 mm cannons each. The five cars are from a nearby Berant Army base and are manned by traitors here to support the attackers. Hearing the gunfire they prepare to open fire.

Being the lead chopper Greta is the first to come under fire from the armoured cars. Her chopper shudders under the impact of multiple hits, she yells a warning over the radio and the other helicopters of her line make dramatic turns to avoid the fire zone. They just manage to do so by skimming low over the hill to go behind the armoured cars. The rest of the flight have an easier time avoiding the trouble zone by turning aside before they reach it.

Greta’s chopper suffers heavy damage, her co-pilot and gunner are dead, and she’s badly wounded. Her radio is still on, so the whole flight hears her snarl, “Smeg you lot. For the people.” She puts the chopper into a steep bank to dive at the lead armoured car. They hear her final words while she dives: she’s singing, “Mine eyes have seen the glory of th... , “ it ends there - at impact. Hitting the lead armoured car with the landing skids of her helicopter she tears the turret off it and the sudden jolt also causes it to shed treads. The helicopter is almost stopped by the impact and it slams downward into the front of the next two cars. The helicopter’s fuel tanks rupture to spray fuel everywhere. The engine is ripped out by her momentum and it smashes into the back two cars. All of the armoured cars are halted in place by the impact because they’ve all shed tracks and are stalled. The spilled fuel is ignited by the fire of the rear car’s cannon, and the whole group becomes a ball of flames. Most of the traitors have survived the impact of the helicopter because the vehicles are built to survive such events. However, with shed tracks and stalled engines they can’t move. The armoured car crews are slowly roasted alive when the fuel fed fire raises the steel hulls to extreme temperatures to eventually ignite their own fuel. Greta dies on impact.


Surveying the wreckage in the valley at 10:40 a.m. Colonel Denning shakes his head. He expects such tactics from combat experienced soldiers, but not rescue workers. Realising he’s the senior commander alive, and the defenders now have radio communications giving them better coordination, he decides the battle is lost. There’s no point in increasing the body count without any benefit. Taking the microphone from his radio operator beside him he says, “All Wolves, Wolf Twelve, command is gone, so is our armour. I’m taking command, disengage, and fall back, we can’t win now. All Wolves, disengage, and fall back.”

The battlefield soon goes quiet as his troops withdraw. Recognising they’re withdrawing Colonel Benson orders his people to cease firing. Soon after that two large fighters fly low over the battlefield, seeing no combat Birds One and Two decline to fire. They climb to a higher altitude to wait for orders or other developments.


Fifteen minutes later Colonel Benson has the cost, fifty-eight Swords dead, two hundred and thirty-seven wounded, nine fire-fighters dead, seventeen fire-fighters wounded, thirty-seven other civilians wounded - luckily no dead civilians. Colonel Stannis reports eight Fishers dead, seventeen wounded, fourteen lightly damaged choppers with one destroyed. A lot of damage for only forty-five minutes combat, but miraculously low when considering the circumstances and the size of the attack force.


At 11:00 a.m. an unarmed Colonel Denning walks over the hill. When he approaches the defensive line Colonel Benson walks out to meet him as it’s clear he wants to talk. They meet at the bottom of the hill. Denning comes to attention, salutes, and says, “Colonel Denning, Commanding Officer, Wolf Pack Three. Are you Colonel Benson?” At the nod yes in reply he continues, “It’s now very clear to me our employers seriously misled us on the situation in this country. I also see no point in continuing this battle, because it will only increase the death toll on both sides with no benefit to anyone. I’m prepared to surrender my command provided you treat us as prisoners of war according to the Geneva conventions.”

Colonel Benson replies, “It’s our practice to only apply POW status to persons in their country’s uniform in a properly declared war, as per the convention’s rules. I can’t agree to your request. However, if you’ll wait while I consult higher command I’ll find out what they’re prepared to offer you.” Colonel Denning nods his agreement.

Colonel Benson walks back to the line and he has communications contact command. He explains the situation. In response to questions he answers the civilians weren’t specifically targeted. He’s briefed on the events elsewhere, and he’s given acceptable surrender terms.

On returning to Colonel Denning he says, “Command won’t change policy about POWs. And in light of the fact other forces in this assault deliberately targeted and murdered school children at Amarant I think you’re very lucky to be offered anything other than the death penalty.” Colonel Denning is shocked by the report of events at Amarant. It shows on his face. Benson says, “Prince Edward is in command. In return for your immediate and total surrender, handing over all weapons, ammunitions, records, and statements by senior officers of events about the planning and who was involved, he’s prepared to offer you your lives. You’ll be allowed to buy your own tickets home and to leave the country unharmed. Do you accept?”

Colonel Denning replies, “Under these conditions he’s being more than fair and I accept. Please be warned, some of the people in my command aren’t responsible to me and they may reject these terms. I’ll do what I can to control them, but don’t be surprised if a few try to hold out weapons. In such cases I’ll accept the surrender terms do not apply to them. Is that acceptable?” Colonel Benson nods agreement. He adds, “I’ll start sending my men down the hill in small groups, they’ll disarm halfway down. When they’re all dealt with I’ll need help with the wounded. Of the five thousand troops we started with one thousand, eight hundred and sixty-seven are dead while another one thousand, five hundred and seventy-eight are wounded.” Colonel Benson again nods his agreement. They part.


Forty minutes later all of the Wolves have surrendered and their hands are tied behind their backs. The five who try to get tricky and not follow the agreement and are quickly identified as CIA agents. Medics flow over the hill to help with the wounded. Many are then taken to a hospital by the very helicopters that caused their wounds. The Sky Hooks are working hard and are doing their jobs, but with a heavy heart. Like her sister before her, Greta was well loved by her fellow Fishers. Already they miss her a great deal.

At 11:45 a.m. Colonel Benson and Colonel Stannis provide command with a status report and list their losses. Colonel Stannis makes a point of identifying the death in combat of Captain Greta Mannheim. Isobelle takes the report and adds Greta’s name to the long list of clan dead.


View Port High School Again

At 10:45 a.m. in his command centre in the View Port High School auditorium Gerry is controlling the defence of his country. Heavy fighting has been confirmed in Amarant, Dareena, and Highcliff. The fighting at Highcliff has been successfully concluded, Amarant reports the enemy defeated. However, at Dareena the battle is still touch and go. It’s strange there’s no activity at Berana, the largest city in the country. With so many enemy troops smuggled into the country and kept hidden until now there must have been lots of traitors involved. He now suspects most are in Berana. Well, that’s one hunt for later, first things first. The number of attackers is way too much for the hit and run type of operation of U MAMA’s normal style, and nowhere near enough to capture the country outright. There’s got to be lots more troops about, at least another division or two, but where?

He goes to the Cyclops tactical display, reducing the magnification he starts at the north and he scans down the country looking for large scale troop movements. He finds nothing new. He scans Shukra and the western neighbours, no unusual activity. With war in Berant they’re mobilising their troops around major population centres as a precaution. Starting south of Berant he scans the sea and moves up the eastern coast. Finally, there they are: a fair sized group of ships moving toward Berant together about forty-five kilometres out and heading for the Carmel / View Port area. They’ve some of the best beaches for an amphibious invasion landing. Gerry smiles while he contacts the 2nd and 4th Sea Guard, ordering them to gather a suitable force and to move toward the enemy fleet, but to keep five kilometres away until ordered in. Turning to Isobelle he says, “Please get me the commander of the 1st Air Guard on the phone.” A moment later Isobelle indicates for him to use circuit three. He switches circuits and says, “Brown Prime, Guard Prime. Do you have any aircraft handy to load with a Bright Star?” Prime is the term used to identify the commander of a regiment or higher level unit, and a Bright Star is the local cruise missile variant that’s carrying a tactical nuclear warhead.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.