Golden Hills - Cover

Golden Hills

Copyright© 2016 by Cpl Blackie

Chapter 4

February 1, 1945

All the month of January we worked hard getting our cave ready and transporting all the boxes from the Japanese cave to our new cave. We had also started more caves just in case we found more of the Japanese hidden caves nearby. We found out that the best way to wrap the cart's 2 wheels was using the same materials that they made our flip flops out of. This spread out the tracks and was very long lasting.

Tiger and I spent a lot of time with the Master being trained using the fighting sticks and knives. Tiger was presented with his own personal protection set of a Kris sword and 2 knives by Eda and the barangay Leaders. Of course Master's 2 Apprentices were always trying to attack us without warnings!

One day Tiger turned to me and said "Why do they all refer to us as POWs? Only you were captured and escaped." I said "Ahh, but we both are POWs in the meaning of that. We are both 'Prisoners Of Women'! And what beautiful jailers they are!" For several months we were away from the village and located 3 more Japanese gold and treasure burial sites. We did our same routine on those sites as we did with the 1st one. We found no traces of Japanese soldiers. It looked like they had left the area and hopefully they had left Davao!

June 15, 1945

We were all back in the village having lunch when Eda quickly said "QUIET!" We heard the drumming coming from far away and the barangay drummer started answering them.

Eda said "Some of our village Philippine Scout soldiers are returning! Prepare more food to make them welcome! Blackie and Tiger go quickly up into Doc's nipa hut and hide. No, Honey Kos, you can't accompany them this time. They need to stay quiet and not attract any attention until we tell our Scout family members all about them!"

So we ran off and hid in Doc's nipa hut but we could peek out through the window bamboo slats. We noticed that Eda had a Scout hugging, holding and kissing her also! He looked very rugged and dangerous to us! After we saw the Scouts greeting their families with lots of tears and joyous sounds Eda called them back together.

We heard her quickly tell all about us and then she had the Honey Kos go over and throw rocks at Doc's hut to get our attention. We opened the floor trap door so they could put up the ladder and we both came down to join the meeting.

Eda introduced us to her "Bana" (husband) and said his name was Eduardo but everyone called him "Dodong". He introduced many of the others but I knew I couldn't remember all of their names. But they all had learned English and had been with the US Armies as scouts and interpreters.

Dodong said "Did you know that your US Army General Douglas MacArthur had returned to the Philippines?" We were stunned by this great news! He said "He landed on the Island of Leyte last October. We met and joined him there. We fought and drove the Japanese soldiers that survived back up into the hills where the local mountain guerilla fighters will either capture or finish them off. We searched for POW Camps but did not find as many captured soldiers as we were told there should be. We were shipped here to Davao and did the same maneuvers here as those that worked in Leyte. We are very happy to find you 2 soldiers unharmed and looking well."

We told him "We have found many bodies in the Japanese caves and that these POW bodies need to be brought down to the ocean Army Camps. We have the charcoal rubbings we made of their IDs like Army dog tags and other methods of identification."

He said "We were given a leave of 1 month to be with our families. We can send some of our young guerilla fighters living here ahead with this great news and see how the Officers what this handled. When we go back to our Base you 2 can go with us to check back in."

I said "Dodong look at our 2 wheel carts as those would be good to bring the POW bodies down to the Army Bases. That area is rugged to travel in and our cart drivers know the way. Tell the Army Officers about these also."

Dodong and Eda stood up and together said "This official meeting is over! Everyone enjoy your evening and a big 'Welcome Home' to all of the Scouts, Guerilla Fighters and also these 2 POWs!"

As they stood there holding hands I could see everywhere that they didn't do much public displaying of their affections. I was impressed by this because this was also our way of living back in the Ozarks.

Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of the Leader of the Honey Kos running towards us. I thought to myself "Oh no! This might get to be embarrassing!" But she ran by me into the arms of Dodong and Eda. She was laughing, crying and whispering all at the same time. What was going on?

Dodong addressed me and said "Blackie, our daughter says that you might wish to ask something from us at this time. If this is not your wish right now or maybe you want to ask at a later, that is also 'Okey Lang' and we will all just go to our nipa hut."

The Leader is their daughter? I was speechless for a moment!

I walked to them and took their hands one at a time and did the "Mano Po" (ask to bless) that I had seen many of the younger villagers do with the elder villagers.

I said "Dodong and Eda, I wish to call on you at your home and ask that I be formally introduced to your daughter. I will also ask for your permission to start courting her."

Dodong nodded to Eda and she said "Please come by tomorrow afternoon for snacks and coffee and we will be very pleased to accommodate your request."

By this time the Leader was in high gear like a Jeep trying to get out of a mud hole but not really getting any traction to move.

I said "Salamat" and turned to walk away. There stood Tiger with his "deer in the headlights" look and his mouth hanging open. I grabbed his arm and started walking towards Doc's nipa hut. We saw many of the other Honey Kos and other young beautiful girls pulling on their parents' arms and pointing their lips at Tiger. I knew that maybe not today but soon he would also be roped, tied and branded!

Soon the Master came up the ladder with Doc. And I blurted out "What will I do now? Did I get myself into a corner? What clothes will I wear? Should I bring a gift? How does courting here work?"

They both started laughing and took turns answering me. "Slow down young man! You are doing the right thing! You have impressed not only the one you call the Leader but also her parents and the barangay members! For days not the Leader and some of the other young girls have been helping the tailors out making the two of you suitable clothes to wear to go courting in and for other special occasions that may come up.

You will bring her and her parents 'pasalubong' (gifts) which can be a simple bouquet of flowers, poetry you have written for her, take your guitar with you and sing her a song you have written for her, things like that will mean a lot to them. Tomorrow many of our village artisans will be bring by things they have crafted in case you want to buy a gift from them. The whole village is aware and will join in your courtship. Tiger, you can stop laughing at Blackie as you will soon be following his footsteps!"

I had a hard time trying to sleep that night! I think I even awoke some of the lazy roosters! Master's 2 apprentices were waiting for me at the bottom of the ladder. They said "Let's go!" and they took off running. We circled the barangay checking on the young guerilla guards to make sure they were still awake and alert after last night's big homecoming celebration for the Scouts. They were all awake and reported that nothing unusual had happened during their shift.

After a few rounds and a dip in the pool of water I finally relaxed and we all fell asleep until the sun coming up awoke us. We were all starving, so we dressed and headed towards the barangay's eating area. A lot of the villagers were already up and were greeting me warmly and smiling at me a lot. A lot! I knew that I was in for a long day!

Tiger joined us and he was carrying a small leather pouch that he had tucked into one of his flight suit's many pockets. He got his viands (food) and took out a letter from the pouch and handed it to me. He said he had received it after he was stationed in England and still carried it with him. He asked me to read it.

"To our Dearest Friend Tiger,

Our other close friend Tony was wounded in Germany and the Army sent him home. His right leg was badly injured but they were able to save it. We have grown very close together and we want to ask for your permission and blessing for us to marry. We have fallen deeply in love. I know that we were very close for many years and we will always be the best of friends. Just like 'The 3 Musketeers' remember? I hope that you will honor our wishes as we want to be totally honest with you.

I know that the rosaries made by your mother, sisters and aunts were given to you to pass out to new friends around the world wherever your travels take you.

If you will, please also give the rosary that I made and presented to you before you left to anyone of your new close friends. I hope that it will keep them healthy as it did for you.

Your true friends for life!

Sherrie and Tony"

Tiger said "I wrote them back with my blessings for a long and loving life together. And maybe they will name one of their many children after me! I want to give this rosary to you now and you can give it as your 'pasalubong' gift to the Leader. You saved my life and I think she saved or is in the process of saving yours now!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.