The Two Crosses - Cover

The Two Crosses

Copyright© 2016 by Mustang

Chapter 6

Jennifer’s progress satisfied her physiotherapist, and she was now able to walk, needing only the aid of a cane and, of course, Grant’s loving hand. She was released from Trenton Memorial Hospital on Valentine’s Day and felt like a kid getting out of school for the summer. The therapist cautioned her not to walk in any poor weather until winter was over. She would have weeks and months of physiotherapy to attend; however, she would now be able to stay at home and sleep in her bed. She looked forward to having Max at home too.

Jennifer’s bedroom was on the second floor of her home, and the arduous climb up and down the stairs would be too much strain on her hip. Grant helped her son-in-law, James, turn the spare room on the main floor into her temporary bedroom. Everything she needed was now within walking distance. Ellen mentioned that Jennifer might have to consider buying a home that was all on one floor.

Jennifer had collected quite a few clothes and articles during her stay in the hospital, and Grant loaded them into his car trunk. A neighbour offered to watch her grandson, Tom and Max, while Ellen and James picked her up from the hospital.


She insisted on going home with Grant, and Ellen followed. “Grant, can we make one stop on the way home? I think you know where.”

“I was going to make the same suggestion,” he smiled, touching her hand.

Ellen and James followed them and wondered why Grant parked at Anderson’s Variety Store. “Please Ellen, just Grant and I for a few minutes,” she asked, wrapping her arms around his right arm for support. They slowly crept along the sidewalk to the two crosses mounted on the fence at the fateful intersection. As they approached the crosses, Grant noticed several faded leaves and a small plastic garbage bag clinging to them.

As Grant kneeled to pick them off, a gentle breeze swept the crosses clean. “The winter’s weather is rough on the crosses. That’s why I always bring a damp cloth to wipe them clean,” he said as Jennifer watched him wipe dried dirt and salt from them.

“They always look so new,” she commented, touching Elliot’s marker and then Laura’s.

“The hardwood is encased in tough white plastic to prevent rotting. I’m grateful they haven’t been vandalized or stolen. You look around, and it’s just another ordinary day for people going about their daily business,” he said, feeling a lump in his throat. “To me, this feels like hallowed ground.”

“I have the same feelings. Our spouses took their last breaths here,” Jennifer’s eyes welled, looking from the intersection to the crosses.


Jennifer tightened her loving grasp around Grant’s arm as she looked at the two crosses. “Elliot, I want to believe that you are watching over me. I’m not sure if you know how close I came to joining you last December. You and I had joked years ago that if one of us went before the other, the remaining one should get on with life and live it to the fullest.”

“I want you to know that I’m so very happy now. I never dreamed I could find love again, and I have found it with Grant.” She paused, looking at him. His eyes, already on her beautiful face, brightened at her heartfelt, unexpected confession.

Jennifer’s arm lowered to hold Grant’s hand. “I stand here in front of you, Elliot and Laura, and say, on this day for lovers.” She looked at him. “I am in love with you, Grant Townsend. You not only saved my life, but you have also given me life! I’m in love with you, Grant.” Her eyes were growing misty as she finally spoke her truth to him.

“You’re in love with me? I’m in love you too, Jennifer! I am indeed the luckiest man in the world! You are so incredibly brave and beautiful. You make me laugh, and you’re so warm and loving. Jennifer McDermott, I love you! You have filled my heart with the happiness I thought I’d never experience again!”

Tears of compassion pooled in Ellen’s eyes as she witnessed their kiss and embrace at the two crosses. The new lovers wept into each other’s embrace.

“I promise to do my best to keep Jennifer safe and loved for as long as she’ll have me,” Grant professed to Elliot’s cross.

“Great minds think alike. Laura, I promise to love and take care of Grant for as long as he’ll have me too. Does this mean we’re going together?” Her eyes widened as she inquired.

“I guess it does!” He confirmed it, and they sealed their growing love with another kiss and hug. They kissed, fingers touching each other’s crosses, and he returned them to his car.


Grant then followed James and Ellen the remaining distance to her home. As he and James helped her out of the car, “You left the Christmas lights up?” Jennifer noted to James about the lights turned on during the daytime.

“You’ve been in the hospital since the 23rd of December, so you missed Christmas and New Year’s at home. Now, you get to have your turkey dinner and open your presents on Valentine’s Day!” Ellen reasoned.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.