Ne'Er Do Well
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2016 by SW MO Hermit

On a particularly hot Wednesday evening in late August, Garrett staggered into his home after work to be confronted by his mother. She said, "Garrett, your grandfather died this morning. I guess you need to make arrangements for the old bastards funeral or something."

Garrett walked to the couch and dropped onto it. He stared at his mother in shock not knowing what to do or say. He felt empty. His chest constricted and it became hard to breathe. He tried to talk but couldn't get any words out. Almost as soon as he sat on the couch his mother began screaming, "Damn it, Garrett, get your filthy ass off my furniture. You know better than to sit on the furniture in your work clothes. Now get upstairs and clean up. Supper will be ready in ten minutes. We won't wait on you."

Garrett felt a surge of anger rise anew to feed the one he felt when his mother told him his grandfather was dead in such a manner. He was also angry because he died that morning and she didn't even call him at work to tell him.

Garrett's face got red and he almost jumped to his feet. He opened his mouth to berate his mother for her attitude but she beat him to the punch, once again letting her bitch out. "Don't you get an attitude with me! You know the rules in this house. After you're cleaned up and we eat you need to call Barker's Funeral Home to make the arrangements."

"Why didn't you even call me at work, mom?"

"You didn't need the distraction. You need that money to help with expenses around here. I'm going to have to have at least $100 per week from now on in addition to the things you buy just to make ends meet since that old bastard died. That's what he was giving me for Beatrice and I'm sure that'll stop now. I'll also probably have to find some way to get more money from his estate or your trust funds."

About that time Beatrice came waltzing into the room. She was dressed to kill, her makeup flawless. Bea looked at her mother and brother and said, "What're you doing in here, mom? You know I have to get over to Rebecca's. We're going to the show and I can't be late. Isn't supper ready yet?"

Garrett knew she didn't care any more for his grandfather than did his mother, but her callous attitude pissed him off. He turned toward Beatrice and said, "Why don't you just shut up? Grandpa's dead and all you can think about is being late to go out with your friends? You really are a selfish bitch aren't you?''

Beatrice turned to fully face Garrett and snarled, "You fucking asshole. What business is it of yours if I go out with my friends or not? Besides, maybe now the selfish old goat's gone we can get some of his money and live better."

Garrett looked at his mother, but she didn't say anything so he turned back to face Beatrice and said, "You know, you're right. It's none of my business what you do and I really don't care. I'm outta here."

Garrett rushed upstairs leaving the two women with shocked expressions on their faces. He quickly took a shower then went into his room. He packed most of his clothes into an old Army Duffel Bag and lugged it downstairs. He sat the bag beside the door and went back upstairs for his computer and some important papers. Just before he went out the door to load his belongings into his truck he heard his mother and sister laughing in the kitchen as their utensils clanked and scraped on their plates.

Garrett took his first load out to his truck and returned for his clothes. As he was leaving the second time he let the door slam. Before he got into his truck his mother was at the door glaring at him. She said, "Damn it, Garrett. You know better than to slam the doors. Now get your ass back here and close this door correctly. And where the hell do you think you're going anyway?"

Garrett looked at his mother and said, "I don't know where I'm going, but I'm sure not staying here any longer." He climbed into his truck, started it, and drove off while his mother stared after him.

Garrett went to the small bar and grill the construction crews frequented. When he walked in there were several people he worked with or knew from his infrequent visits in the past. Almost all of them offered their condolences for his grandfather's death. Several of them asked why he was there. Garrett said, "I had to get out of the house. I've finally had it with mom and Bea. They didn't even tell me about gramps until I got home, then, in the same sentence, mom demanded $100 a week for expenses in addition to what I have been giving her. She said now he was gone he wouldn't be giving her money for Bea and I would have to step up. She's already trying to find a way to access some trust funds we own and get money from them.

"Now, I don't mind helping out. In fact I have been buying my own clothes and so forth since I got out of high school. I even help with food but she could have waited at least until after the funeral. Then, on top of that, she said I needed to take care of all the arrangements and she called him all sorts of names. Bea was there and she was just as bad. All she cared about was eating so she and her friends could go out. When I left they were in the dining room laughing and joking while they ate supper. I just stopped in here for a burger before I go over to the funeral home and take care of things."

Kathy Wilson, his supervisor's daughter, came up and hugged him then said, "Oh, Garrett, I'm so sorry. We all just heard about your grandfather. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. Come on over and sit with us while you get your supper."

Garrett began to unwind as he ate and listened to his friends talk. Kathy and a couple of the girlfriends sat more or less to the side by themselves but they did make a comment every so often in the general conversation. Garrett found himself wishing his family was more like these work acquaintances. He couldn't really call them friends yet, but he felt as if some of them, at least, could become friends.

After he finished his meal, Garrett pushed his chair back and started to rise. Bill looked up and said, "Hey, where you off to so early, Garrett? You tired of our company already?"

"No, Bill, I just have things I have to do before it gets too late. Mom is making me take care of the arrangements for gramps and I have to find a place to sleep before it gets too late."

Kathy looked up at that and asked, "What do you mean you have to find a place to sleep? I thought you still lived with your mom and sister."

"Yeah, well, I guess I sortta burned that bridge when I left this evening. I suppose I'll go over to gramps and stay there for a while. At least until I find somewhere else or I get kicked out. Bill, I guess it's ok to miss work the rest of the week isn't it?"

"Hell, yeah. Don't sweat it. If you need more time give me a call Sunday night or early Monday and we'll work something out. Let us know where and when the services are, too, please."

They laid Jerome Mans to rest Saturday in the local cemetery beside his wife. To Garrett's surprise, Wilma came. Not surprisingly, though, Beatrice did not. After the service, Wilma cornered Garrett and said, "I called Jerome's attorney Thursday to find out about his estate and he wouldn't tell me anything about it. Do you know what's going on with it?"

"No. I haven't heard anything and, unlike you, I've had more important things to take care of." Garrett turned and walked away.

Just before Garrett got into his truck Wilma yelled, "Hey, Garrett. Where are you staying? I really need to know how to find you if I need something. Oh, yes, I haven't received your payment yet for the last week's food and rent, either. When will you be giving it to me?"

Garrett stopped and looked back at Wilma, his whole body cringing as he anticipated her reaction to what he was about to say. "I'm staying in gramps house right now. As for the money, I don't intend to send you any. I am not living with you any longer and I'll need all I make to pay my own living expenses and college tuition."

"What! You know I told you I expected another $100 per week now so I can make ends meet and buy the things Beatrice needs. I'm sorry, honey, but that is the minimum I can take from you."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.