A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 7 - Sakurako
Chapter 74: An Unexpected Favor

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 74: An Unexpected Favor - This is the continuation of the story told in "A Well-Lived Life 2", Book 6. If you haven't read the entire 10 book "A Well-Lived Life" and the first six books of "A Well-Lived Life 2" you'll have some difficulty following the story. This is a dialog driven story. The author was voted 'Author of the Year' and 'Best New Author' in the 2015 Clitorides Awards.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Mult   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   Oriental Female   First   Slow  

August 31, 1994, Recruit Training Command Great Lakes, Illinois

“Mr. Adams, Commander Schumacher is expecting you,” the Marine guard at the gate said after reviewing my ID. “Follow this road about eight hundred feet, turn left; follow that road to the end. JAG will be on your right. Here is your pass and parking card.”

He handed me a placard to put on my dashboard and a ‘Visitor’ badge.

“Thank you, Corporal,” I replied, taking notice of his rank insignia.

“Have a good day, Mr. Adams,” he said, motioning me forward.

I followed his instructions and saw the sign for visitor parking and pulled into a slot. I clipped the ‘Visitor’ badge to my shirt pocket, got out of the car, and locked the doors. I walked into the building and found a Petty Officer sitting behind a desk.

“Good afternoon, Petty Officer Glynn,” I said, reading her nametag. “My name is Steve Adams. I have an appointment to see Commander Karl Schumacher.”

“Good Afternoon, Mr. Adams. The Commander is expecting you. If you go through this door to my left, his office is down the hall on the right.”

“Thank you, Petty Officer!”

She smiled and pressed a hidden button to buzz me through the door. I walked down the hallway to the door with his name on it. I knocked and when Karl called out for me to come in, I opened the door and went in.

“Good afternoon, Commander.”

“Grab a seat, Steve.”

I chuckled, “Not, ‘Stand at ease’?”

“Just sit down,” he said, shaking his head. “You aren’t in my chain of command!”

I sat down in the wooden chair facing his desk.

“Really? That’s not how it seemed yesterday morning.”

“I guess I did more or less order you to talk to me.”

“Not to mention I’m responsible to the Board of Directors. You can begin to dress me down whenever you’re ready.”

“Come on, Steve. It’s not my job to ream you. I’ve never done that. All I do is ask you hard questions.”

“You’re right; I apologize. I guess I’m just feeling picked on at the moment.”

“You did bring this all on yourself. You’ve known from the time you were in High School that the life you were choosing was going to be controversial.”

“You’ve talked to Joyce.”

“Of course. And Doctor Pater as well. And you know I talk to your dad and Al Barton regularly, and consider them both good friends. And I consider you a good friend. That’s why you’re here.”

“I hope this isn’t intended to be a lecture on my choice of how I live my life,” I said, looking him directly in the eye.

“When have I ever lectured you? But I do have to ask if you shouldn’t more carefully separate your work life and your personal life.”

“Spit it out, Commander. Let’s not beat around the bush.”

He nodded, “I should have known better; you like things direct. Fine. First, you can’t REALLY be friends with anyone at work, with the possible exception of Elyse. It creates far too many potential problems. And you certainly can’t be involved with any women who work for you. Again, Elyse is the possible exception. And I guess now Michelle, but that’s problematic, too. I want you to consider how Dave and Julia conduct themselves.”

I nodded, “I had this discussion with my dad, at least in a general sort of way.”

“I’m not surprised by that, given he’s ex-Navy. Look, I know where you developed your attitude about relationships and business, and in general, it’s a good thing. But there are limits. For example, nobody who works for you should come to your Rap Sessions. The dual relationship there is VERY dangerous, especially given some of the discussions and activities. If it were only executives, that might be a bit different, but it’s staff. You know the Navy regs on fraternization.”

“Yes, I do; the potential for rank to influence behavior.”

“Exactly; that’s why you see relationships in the Navy typically revolve around rank or rating. One up and one down is usually OK, but there are some relatively hard lines, such as Chiefs versus regular Petty Officers. And inside your own chain of command you have to be very careful. Those regulations aren’t just whims, Steve. They’ve been learned from over 2,500 years of naval services going back to the Greeks and Romans for most Western navies. And most others have copied the British system to some extent, because it works.

“I know you have a close relationship with Penny, and I’m about as likely to try to step between the two of you as I would be to try to interfere with Birgit’s cuddle time, but the rest of it? Except for Elyse, and as I said, Michelle, it has to stop. For your own good and for the good of NIKA. If not, you’ll simply careen from one crisis to the next as somebody gets their knickers in a knot over the fact that someone else is closer to you. Like the young woman you’re going to terminate tomorrow morning apparently has.

“You need to carefully consider each and every thing you do with anyone outside the executive team. The gray areas will be Penny and Kimmy. Penny, because she’s Penny. Kimmy because your work environment will be very intimate, given what you’re asking her to do. In effect, she’s a member of the executive team, and you should probably have a contract with her the same as you do Cindi, Elyse, and Julia. Be honest with me, who else are you too close to, using MY standard, not yours?”

“John in Pittsburgh has season tickets for the Penguins. We go to games when I’m there, but I pay him the cost of my ticket out of my own pocket. Terry and Zeke you know about - they come to Guys’ Night and breakfast, just as their wives go out with the gals. And I’m guessing you know Cèlia and Kajri come to the Rap Sessions, along with Penny, Terry, Tasha, and Zeke.”

“The hockey games are fine, especially with you paying for your ticket. So are breakfast and Guys’ Night, because it’s not special treatment and generally speaking, they’re open to anyone.”

“So are the Rap Sessions,” I countered.

“The issue there isn’t openness. Well, it is, but not in terms of who can attend. There are simply some topics and some activities which are off limits. Would you have a work outing at a strip club?”

“I’ve never even been to one!” I chuckled.

Karl laughed, “Your sauna is better than any strip club I’ve ever been to. And if you repeat THAT to Ginny, I have some friends who fly Tomcats who owe me favors! But seriously, you understand my point, right?”

“I don’t like it.”

“You had one close call with that young woman who threatened to sue you years ago. That should have been the wake-up call. I’m surprised Jamie didn’t put a stop to it then.”

“First of all, we were a lot smaller and it was all personal relationships at that point. Second, seven years ago I was far more stubborn than I am now. How much luck do you think Jamie had back then in trying to tell me to change what I do?”

“A lot less than I hope I have today. But I’m not telling you, I’m asking you. The only reason I stated it the way I did is because you insisted. As your friend, and as someone you hand-selected for your Board, and as a Naval officer, I’m simply telling you what proper command and control looks like, and how you should handle personal relationships in that context. From hard-won experience. Both my personal experience, and that of the United States Navy.”

“This is going to cause some level of consternation,” I said.

“More than the inevitable harassment lawsuit? Or a personal issue that spills over into NIKA and destroys what you’ve built?”

“About that...” I sighed.

“Penny and Terry? Or is it deeper than that?”

“I can’t go into details, but I told my dad last night this could directly affect others as well. Important others. But I’ll tell you the same thing I told him - I am in no way involved in this beyond the fact that Penny confided in me because of our relationship.”

“Which is dangerous in and of itself.”

“Forget it, Commander. You yourself said you won’t try to come between us, and with good reason. There aren’t enough Marines on this base to protect you from her if she decides you’re the enemy.”

“I don’t know if there are enough Marines, period!” he said with a smile. “But making allowances for Penny, Elyse, Michelle, and I guess, Kimmy, you have to draw back. Dave and Julia have done it by your own acknowledgement. They socialize with you, but they aren’t close friends like Kurt and Kathy, despite how close they were to you originally.”

“I hear you. And by that, I mean I hear what you’re saying, and I’ll act on it. How I’ll act on it, I have no idea. But I will.”

“You don’t have to be radical. Just slowly draw back. And you don’t have to draw back too far, just enough to keep things kosher. And remember, there are people who can give you very good advice about stuff like this. All you have to do is listen to them.”

“I know.”

“Come on. I’ll give you a tour and you can say ‘hi’ to the Navy men in their natural habitat!”

I stood, we shook hands, and I followed him from his office.

September 1, 1994, Chicago, Illinois

“What’s going on?” Mikela demanded as Dave brought her into the ‘Lemieux’ room.

“Sit down, please,” I said firmly.

She reluctantly took a seat at the conference table where Julia, Elyse, Jamie, and I were waiting. Dave came around to sit with the rest of us on the other side of the table.

“What’s going on?” she asked again, nervously.

I slid a single sheet of paper across the table to her.

“What’s this?” she asked.

“Your resignation. I’d like you to read it and sign it, please. It’s with immediate effect.”

“What? I don’t want to quit!”

“I suggest you rethink that,” I said. “I have several witnesses who have confirmed you made public accusations of inappropriate sexual contact between me and several female staff members. Accusations which are unfounded and false. That simply cannot be tolerated. We’re giving you the option to resign.”

“And if I don’t?” she asked defiantly.

“Then we’ll terminate you for cause, and all of the details of my investigation will go into the personnel files.”

“But you DID sleep with those girls!”

“Ms. Kovač,” Jamie said. “You made public statements that Penny and Terry Penfield are having marital difficulties because she is currently engaged in an inappropriate sexual relationship with Steve. This is untrue, and I’ve spoken to both Penny and Terry and I am satisfied they are telling the truth. While it may be true that Steve and Penny had such a relationship in the past, they have not, once, violated the policy forbidding that kind of relationship between management and staff.

“In addition, you made a public accusation that Kimmy Bradford’s unborn child was fathered by Steve. This is also untrue. We’re confident that DNA tests would vindicate Steve, should that be necessary. I spoke with Kimmy and I’m satisfied she is telling the truth. She’s also willing to submit to DNA tests, once the baby is born, if you continue to maintain that the baby was fathered by anyone other than her husband Gary.

“Finally, I spoke with Jeri Lundgren and she adamantly denied that she left NIKA because, and I’m quoting you here, ‘she was upset that Steve ended a sexual relationship’. Jeri is willing to provide a sworn deposition to the contrary, stating that she left NIKA solely because of the legal troubles her mother had created for the Foundation. I will remind you that is part of the public record, documented in, among other places, the Chicago Tribune, Crain’s Chicago Business, and several court filings. She resigned to head her family Foundation with encouragement and support from Steve, despite his reluctance to lose a key employee. He served, and continues to serve, on the Board of that Foundation.”

We were following the script, and it was my turn to take over.

“Let me be blunt,” I said. “Your accusations are categorically false. My first inclination, and the one I still have, was immediate termination for cause with a letter in your file stating quite clearly the reasons. Any inquiries about employment would be limited to the dates of service, but we would say you were terminated, and given how rarely we terminate anyone, that will speak volumes. That said, my closest advisors suggested we allow you the opportunity to resign without a blemish on your record, and I’ve acceded to their request, despite my initial inclination. It’s up to you what happens now.”

“Ms. Kovač,” Jamie said, taking over again. “In the interest of fairness, if you wish to consult outside counsel, you may do so before you make a decision. Because it’s Thursday, and because of the Labor Day weekend, we’ll give you until 5:00pm next Wednesday to consider your options. Please note that if you inform us you wish to consult an attorney, or delay your decision for any other reason, you’ll be suspended without pay until such time as this matter is resolved.”

Elyse slid a letter across the table which stated that Mikela was suspended effective immediately. There was complete silence in the room for a couple of minutes, and Mikela shifted uncomfortably in her chair. She looked back and forth from me to Jamie to Dave to Elyse, but not at Julia who was to my far left, on the other side of Dave. Jamie was to my right, with Elyse next to him.

Mikela took a deep breath and let it out, “I guess I don’t have any choice. I’ll resign.”

I nodded and let out a slow breath. One hurdle crossed. The next one would be trickier, and I had vehemently objected when Jamie and Karl had proposed it late the previous afternoon, but after taking a walk around the block to cool off, I’d agreed. Mikela signed the resignation and slid it across the table. When she had, Jamie slid several sheets of paper across the table.

“This is a release,” Jamie said. “If you sign it, we’ll pay one month’s severance, but you’ll be giving up any and all rights to make any claims against NIKA, Steve personally, or any other person involved with NIKA for any reason. This one you cannot sign now. In fact, your signature isn’t valid before 5:00pm next Wednesday, and it will need to be notarized. Read it very carefully. I strongly suggest you consult an attorney before signing it as it severely limits your rights under both Illinois and Federal employment law, as well as any action for a tort - what you would call ‘suing’ us. There is also a letter there advising you to have an attorney review the release before you sign it. You will need to decide by September 13th. If we don’t have a signed, notarized copy by 5:00pm on the 13th, the offer in the release expires.

“No matter what your decision about the release might be, you’ll be paid your salary through today, plus any accrued vacation and sick time. Either way, your health insurance benefits will end as of September 30th. Elyse has a packet of information for you about that, as well as information about COBRA coverage. You’re using direct deposit, so the total amount discussed will be deposited on the regular pay date of September 15th. Should you elect to sign the release, that amount would be deposited that day as well. Do you have any questions?”

I saw something in her eyes that said she wanted to ask something, but she slowly shook her head.

“No.”

“Dave,” Jamie said. “Please walk Mikela to her desk to gather her things, then escort her out. Elyse, you should disable her badge and inform Lucas that she’s not to enter the premises.”

Elyse nodded, “Will do.”

“Dave, once you’ve done that,” I said, “come back up. I’ll disable her computer access.”

“Got it,” he said.

He stood up and walked around the table. Mikela rose and followed him out. Elyse left just after them to disable Mikela’s badge, and I went to my office and disabled her network access, ignoring Penny’s raised eyebrow. All of us, minus Mikela, were in the conference room five minutes later.

“Dave,” I said, “let your team know she’s resigned effective immediately. No details.”

“Got it,” he said.

“That’s very important for all of you,” Jamie said. “The release contains a mutual non-disparagement clause, which means we cannot say anything negative about her to anyone outside this room.”

“What about Keri?” Elyse asked. “She handles all the personnel records. She’ll see the release. And Chris will see the severance which is outside our normal policy guidelines.”

“Just tell them there was a mutual understanding about her resignation and leave it at that,” I said. “I trust both of them to simply go about their jobs as they always have.”

“Do you think she’ll sign the release?” Julia asked, speaking for the first time.

I nodded, “I do. A month’s pay is pretty significant, and as with all of us, the bills need to be paid. In effect, she’ll have two months to find a position. Remember, if anyone calls for an employment reference, the only thing we say is the dates she worked here, and that she resigned. Beyond that, by policy, we don’t say anything. I highly doubt she’d list any of us as references.”

“What about her coworkers?” Dave asked.

“They don’t know any details,” Jamie said. “So if they want to speak to her technical skills, there really isn’t an issue. That’s part of the reason for the non-disparagement. She won’t ask anyone she doesn’t trust to give a positive statement, and we don’t want to poison the well.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.