Living a CAP Based Present - Cover

Living a CAP Based Present

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 81: Disastrous Orders

“My orders are as follows,” Admiral Redmill continued. “We are to complete the space trials of the new Africa class destroyers. As part of that trial we need to see the ship in combat. Thanks to the efforts of your scout ships we know that the Sa’arm are currently setting up an entrenched position in the Gee One Dash ... Six Five Eight system I believe.”

I forced my hands to remain wrapped around Constance. Ashley groaned at hearing the Admiral name the wrong system. At her groan both Colonel Stiles and Captain Prescott turned to look at her.

“Hold playback,” Colonel Stiles said firmly. “Concubine, what do you know about the system?”

Ashley looked over at Colonel Stiles. “I know that the system he wanted to name is Six Five Nine. And before you ask, no I did not get that from Mark. He doesn’t talk all that much about what happens on Corsica. I doubt it matters too much, as from what we do know the Sa’arm don’t employ spies, but it is not his fault.”

“Gossip among the crew?” Captain Prescott asked.

I could feel Constance nod against my chest. “They talk in front of their concubines,” she said. “Or they mention it in their messages to us. We talk about it when they aren’t around.”

Colonel Stiles shook his head. “I’d tell you to punish your crew, but I wouldn’t know who to go after.”

“It would be a bad idea to do that,” I said. “It’s human to want to talk about something like what has happened to Corsica. And as Ashley has pointed out, the Sa’arm don’t employ spies. The only real worry would be to morale, and right now we know how that is for both ships.”

Colonel Stiles frowned. “Your crew didn’t seem too bad as they exited the administration building, but I could see that Ipanema’s crew is still in shock.”

Captain Prescott nodded. “I’m going to want to talk to you about that Captain Parker. I can already see that my management techniques are not going to fix the morale problems that might be coming.”

“Let’s hear the rest of the orders. Right now all we know is that Admiral Redmill is thinking of going after my problem system,” I said.

“Continue playback,” Colonel Stiles said.

Admiral Redmill’s voice resumed talking. “Obviously, we can’t allow the Sa’arm to hold the system. It’s too close to systems we are holding. Therefore I am going to do the following. The prototype Africa class Destroyer we have been testing has been designated Zulu. I’ll be bringing Zulu, Carlow Castle, Cabra Castle, Kanturk Castle and Donegal Castle to Crucible to meet with Ipanema and Corsica. From there we’ll form three squadrons. The first squadron will be Corsica, Ipanema and Zulu. The Castle class ships will be paired off in squadron two and three.”

“I don’t like this,” Captain Prescott said quietly.

“The Castle class ships will be working as decoys and beaters. Once they get the attention of any Sa’arm scouts, the two Patricians will form a point and lead Zulu to the second planet where the Sa’arm have been seen. Zulu will destroy any and all orbital structures while Corsica and Ipanema keep any Sa’arm counterattack from reaching the ship,” the admiral continued.

“Can we get there?” Captain Prescott asked.

Before I could answer Admiral Redmill continued. “If my AI units are accurate in their time estimates, this message should arrive about ten days before I arrive with my ships. Please make sure that Corsica and Ipanema are in the system at that time. I know that you have no spare crews, so I have plans to escort a small transport. It will be bringing twenty-four pods containing trained naval personnel and their households. They can form the core of replacement crew.”

“The message ended here,” the AI said.

“Twenty-four more crew,” Captain Prescott said. “That can replace my seven losses and your missing tracking officer.”

“I want to be sure that my new tracking officer can work with my crew,” I said.

“Not with you?” Colonel Stiles asked.

“I’ll adjust to work with any tracking officer,” I said. “Most of what I have to do is the long-term planning and strategy. Once we are in combat my crew pays more attention to my officers than they do me. If an officer can do the job, I’ll find a way to make them part of my team.”

Captain Prescott looked at me. “You and Jessica were classmates, is that correct?”

I nodded. “She was part of the group I worked with in an attempt to plan ahead when it came to a pickup,” I said. “We just talked about that and the fact that my sister will be her concubine soon.”

“You’re sure about that?” Colonel Stiles asked.

“Matti is and she talked to Jessica the last time Ipanema allowed its crew to take leave. She also spends quite a bit of time with Jessica’s concubines since Jessica choose to have her pod dropped into the village where mine is,” I said.

“She never did get along with most of my crew,” Captain Prescott said. “And I’m sure my actions poisoned the relationship and trust she needs to have with me and the rest of the crew. Would you accept her as your tracking officer?”

“Is that allowed?” I asked.

“Jessica Thornton showed command potential in her CAP testing. Her actions after the test resulted in a recommendation that she be monitored for a potential rescore. There is no reason she would not be successful at the post on any ship,” the AI said.

“That leaves you eight crew short,” I said.

“Nine,” Captain Prescott said. “I’m going to transfer Jason as well. I treated him worse than I did Jessica simply because he was your friend. It is unfair for me to expect the best from him in the future.”

“But I don’t have anyone for a trade. The rest of my crew is solid,” I said.

“I’m going to see about granting him an early leave. He can join the reserves that Admiral Redmill is bringing and I’ll take a replacement from the pool,” Captain Prescott said.

“Colonel,” the AI called out. “A ship has emerged in the system. It appears to have arrived from Confederacy space.”

“Well,” the Colonel said. “Do we have communications with the ship?”

“Receiving,” the AI said. “The automatic identification signal is calling out Donegal Castle.”

“They’re early,” I said. “And how could they get here so quickly? I thought the drones were three to four times faster than any spaceship.”

“Perhaps the Colonel should ask the captain of the ship those questions,” Captain Prescott said.

“We are receiving a message from Donegal Castle,” the AI said.

The Colonel glared at me. “You two be quiet until we’ve heard the whole message this time,” he growled. Then he looked at the ceiling. “Play the message.”

“Crucible Command, this is Ensign George Williams. I’m the officer in command of Donegal Castle at the moment. Captain Ford’s orders were to come here and then await additional orders. Do you have those orders for us? Until we receive a reply we will head towards the base. My AI says it’s set up in the smaller moon of the main planet,” the voice said.

“Sounds like he knows less than the rest of us,” I said quietly.

The Colonel glared at me. “AI, record for transmission.”

“Recording,” the AI said.

“Ensign Williams, this is Colonel Stiles. I am the base commander for Crucibleat and serve as Crucible Command. We just received orders from Admiral Redmill regarding a major offensive he has planned. For now continue to the base on the smaller moon. You can dock there and then teleport down to the meeting room where I am discussing the orders with Captains Prescott and Parker,” Colonel Stiles said.

The Colonel waved his hand. “Transmit that.”

“Should I get Ensign Munfree in here? She could handle communications for us,” I said.

Captain Prescott nodded. “It might help. I’d offer Ensign Howard, but he’s still pretty shaken. I’d rather he spend some time with his concubines.”

“Spending time with concubines is always a good thing,” I replied. “AI, please alert Ensign Munfree that we could use her services in communications at the administration building.”

“I could do it,” Ashley said with a huff of annoyance.

“But I like my cuddlebunnies here,” I said. “Anyways, I’d like to observe that these orders are bad.”

“Bad?” Colonel Stiles asked.

I looked at Captain Prescott. He had a confused look on his face, but I could see the dawning comprehension as he remembered the battle he had just been in.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.