Living a CAP Based Present - Cover

Living a CAP Based Present

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 76: Back to the Void

The first few systems in our patrol proved to be barren wastelands. The stars had all been weak M-class dwarfs. There had been only two planets orbiting in the habitable zone of any of the stars we visited. One of the planets had been an airless rock. The other was a gas giant nearly the size of the star it orbited. The star there had started to rip apart the giant planet and a stream of particles formed a spectacular disk of light and color as gravity wound it around the star.

Ensign Daniels and Ensign White seemed to find new purpose with each empty system we visited. Every visit resulted in new drills or exercises. We did not fire any weapons, but we practiced tracking enemy ships, repairing damage and loading weapons. The galley ended up having a pair of white boards show up. One had a scoring system for the crew showing successful participation in the exercises. The other was for suggestions for new training. There seemed to be an endless supply of ideas for training exercises.

The strong signs that the crew was gaining in confidence helped keep me calm. There had been little expectation that we would encounter any Sa’arm ships in the systems. At best, Central Command had thought that there might be evidence of Sa’arm scouts. I was happy to see that we were able to get more training in as we approached the jump breakout at Gee One Dash Six Five Nine.

“AI, give me the engine room,” I instructed. I was sitting in my command chair. Blaine had the helm. A countdown had started when we were ten minutes from the breakout. I could see the first number drop from nine to eight.

“Captain,” Ensign Daniels replied. “What do you need?”

“Once we breakout, how long until we can jump again?” I asked.

“It’s taken a while, but we have a backup that should recharge in just under fifteen minutes,” Ensign Daniels replied. “It uses the excess energy generated while forming the bubble to charge up a set of capacitors. We’ll be charging up the second set the instant we emerge.”

“Ensign White,” I called out. “Are your people ready?”

“I won’t preload the rail guns, but missiles one and two have normal warheads. Missile three loaded a chaff decoy and missile four has the sensor unit loaded. We’ll launch missile four as soon as we locate the second planet,” Ensign White said.

I watched the countdown as the first number dropped from eight to seven. “Under eight minutes to breakout. Everyone, take a deep breath and relax for five. I need you to be ready for anything as we emerge in the system.”

“I don’t think we’ll run into a giant naked woman with hands bigger than Corsica,” Ensign White said confidently. “Do you really need us ready for anything?”

“Yes,” I said firmly. “We don’t know what we will encounter. If we are mentally prepared to have to react immediately and are thinking of every possibility, we are less likely to get wiped out before we can do something.”

“It might be the wrong things,” Ensign Munfree said.

“In which case we die while trying our best,” I said. “There are no guarantees in this job. Every time we jump into a system, it could be our last.”

“You are a bundle of happy thoughts today,” Ensign Munfree said grumpily. “But you are right.”

“He’s always right,” Ensign White mock complained.

The countdown had dropped below five minutes. “Everyone should be in position,” I called out over the intercom. “Officers, please check your crews.”

“You are nervous,” Blaine said.

“Last time we were badly outnumbered. If we jump and show up right in front of that Sa’arm carrier can we really expect to escape?” I asked.

“With me at the controls?” Blaine asked with a bit of a laugh. “Not at range. I’ll make sure they miss us.”

“Don’t get cocky,” I replied. “One mistake will likely be one too many.”

“Understood,” Blaine said. “Everything is green on navigation. Evasion subroutines are prepped.”

“All my people are at their stations. We have missiles ready for immediate firing,” Ensign White said. “Railgunners are at their station and prepared to fire.”

“Ensign Daniels is reporting that engineering is fully manned and ready. Terrence and Mike are at the medical pods. All systems are reporting green,” Ensign Munfree added.

“For once everything works,” I said.

“I’m not sure I can accept that,” Ensign White said. “It’s too easy.”

“Not every time will be a complete disaster,” I said. “Lance Corporal, take us out of jump.”

“Break out in sixty seconds,” Blaine called out.

“Engineering, prepare for normal drive. I want us to keep as much momentum as possible. If there is a Sa’arm ship near we’ll need all the speed you can give us,” I called out.

“Missile four, prepare to load an incendiary missile,” Ensign White called out. “As soon as we emerge I’ll be launching the drone.”

“Make sure you have it properly aimed,” I reminded Kelsey. “We don’t want the Sa’arm finding out we are here because of a poorly aimed missile.”

There was a moment of silence. “Fifteen seconds,” Blaine said.

“Thanks for reminding me,” Kelsey said quietly. “I didn’t even think about the power output of a missile. It would show anyone where to look if they noticed it. I’m going to try to set up a parabolic pass so you can’t just look at the route it took and backtrack to us.”

“Good idea,” Ensign Munfree whispered back.

“Cutting jump drive,” Blaine said. “Bubble starting to peel back.”

“Switching to passive sensors, turning off actives,” I called out.

The viewscreens flashed and then turned black. I ignored the black expanse as I called up two smaller screens in front of me. I had the passive sensors scanning for any movement.

“Where are we?” Kelsey asked. “I need a target for the missile.”

“I have the first asteroid belt just off the starboard side,” Blaine said.

“Sensors aren’t showing any artificial structures within thirty light seconds,” I said. “I’m trying to isolate the location of the two planets that are inside the belt. There is a lot of interference though.”

“Why? I don’t remember that from last time,” Ensign Munfree complained. “I can’t get the sensors to lock onto anything now.”

One of my displays changed. A white line formed a box around a pair of large asteroids that were about fifteen light seconds ahead of us. Words started scrolling across the bottom of the display.

“One moment,” I asked for as I tried to read the words. “The tracking system is reporting on the problem.”

“Orders on navigation?” Blaine asked.

“How long have you been in the seat?” I asked.

“Six hours,” Blaine responded. The words on the display continue to scroll across the screen.

“Terrence was on break until we got close to emerging in the system, correct?” I asked.

“That is the schedule,” Ensign Munfree said.

“Blaine turn and start working your way through the asteroids make sure you avoid the region I’m marking on your navigation charts,” I said. “Ensign Munfree, call for Terrence. I’m going to switch the helm position to four hour shifts for as long as we are in the system.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.