The Voyage of the Hawk - Cover

The Voyage of the Hawk

Copyright© 2016 by The Blind Man

Chapter 22

"Sail on the horizon, off the starboard bow."

It was three days later and midmorning. The small armada had made good time heading northward away from Cape Verde and towards home considering the time of year and the weather. The skies had been grey for most of the trip and there had been some rain and drizzle for the first two days but for the most part the seas had been reasonable. Today the weather had broken and the sky was blue. It allowed the lookout to see further for once. To the far east of the small armada the distant shores of Africa could be seen. Besides that, the sea had been empty until the cry of the lookout had rung out. In response Pedro came from his cabin at a run. Behind him trailed Hector. Without pausing Pedro headed for the forecastle of the Hawk, clutching his spy-glass in his right hand. There he joined Hans van Holien, his pilot and acting first mate.

"What is it?" Pedro asked the moment he arrived, not even pausing to take a look himself.

"A Spanish vessel, Captain," Hans informed him as he lowered his own spy-glass from his eye and turned to speak to his captain. "It is bound towards us with all sails raised. From here at this distance the vessel appears to be a large galley. We'll know more when we get closer to it."

Pedro did not reply immediately. Instead he raised his own spy-glass to his eye and had a look. It took only a moment or two to spot the ship that the lookout had spied. As his acting first mate had said, from the distance between them the other vessel looked like a large galley. Other than that he couldn't tell much about it except for the fact that the ship flew the colours of Spain.

"Watch her," Pedro finally said when he lowered his spy-glass and turned to speak to Hans van Holien, "and signal the other vessels in the armada that we've spotted a ship on the horizon. It may only be a trader bound for the new world but we can't take any chances. It could be anyone including the Count de Cordoba."

"I'll see to it immediately, Captain," Hans van Holien replied curtly and with a nod of his head before excusing himself and heading astern so that he could signal the other vessels. While he did Pedro turned his gaze back towards the other ship. Once more he raised the spy-glass to his eye and he took another look. Something about that craft bothered Pedro that he could not put his finger on. Finally with a sigh of resignation Pedro put away his spy-glass and turned back towards the main deck of the Hawk. He paused and took in the activity of the deck crew under the close watch of his coxswain. He nodded his approval to the man and the man nodded his acknowledgement back to Pedro. Satisfied that everything was going well aboard his ship Pedro stepped down from the forecastle and strolled back towards the aft-castle and his cabin. After all he was off watch at the moment. Behind him followed Hector, his hand upon the hilt of his sword.


"What is it?" Don Diego de Montoya asked the captain of the San Fernando, his voice filled with anxiety.

"A small taskforce of Portuguese vessels," Captain Americo de Barceló replied in a manner that displayed neither anxiety nor concern. "Though from this distance I cannot make out whether they are warships on patrol or a trading fleet returning home from India. We'll have to wait and see to find out."

"Can we not avoid them?" Don Diego asked his voice still filled with concern.

"We can try," Captain de Barceló muttered in reply, lowering his spy-glass as he spoke before turning to look at his passenger.

Captain de Barceló was younger than Don Diego. He was taller and thinner and in much better shape. The man had long, black wavy hair with a long moustache and a short pointed beard. He was dressed in black leather and velvet and he was wearing a heavy woollen travelling cloak to protect him from the elements. He was a career sailor from a noble family who owed his commission to the Spanish crown. While he served the Spanish ambassador to the Portuguese court, he did not serve Don Hugo personally. Certainly not like his passenger did. Captain de Barceló looked at Don Diego once again and snorted softly as if with disdain. The older man eyed him for a second and then looked away not pressing the issue. Finally Captain de Barceló spoke once again.

"Is there need to avoid them?" Captain de Barceló asked in a low voice. "We sail with the flags of Spain displayed from our mastheads. That alone identifies us clearly to all approaching ships. Besides Spain and Portugal are at peace."

"The mission I am on for his Excellency the Count de Cordoba is a secret one," Don Diego declared in a stammering voice. "It is his wish that we avoid contact with all vessels including both those of Spain and Portugal. Do you understand?"

The last words were spoken curtly by Don Diego and it caused Captain de Barceló to look at him again with both contempt and concern. Whatever the reason for this trip, the captain of the San Fernando knew that something was not right. The fact that they had slipped out of the harbour of Lisbon under the cover of darkness in the early hours of the day told the man that secrecy was of utmost importance. He certainly didn't need to be reminded of it by this man who was no better than the Count's personal secretary. Still the orders that the man had presented had borne the Spanish ambassador's signature and private seal and it placed his ship at the man's disposal.

"As I said Don Diego," Captain de Barceló replied after a moment or two, "we can try. However, be aware that the ocean is only so large and the ships approaching us out number us considerably. The chances of avoiding them if they chose to pursue us are very slim. Still we will do our best."

With that Captain de Barceló turned to his helmsman to give him orders, leaving Don Diego to continue to stare out across the sea towards the approaching ships."


"What do you mean they changed course?" Pedro asked as he gazed across at his acting first mate. "Are they running from us?"

Pedro was sitting on his bunk in his cabin reading a book. He had just settled again after having come on deck to see what the lookout had spotted. The arrival of Hans van Holien at his door had taken him by surprise.

"I think they are trying to avoid us at the very least, Captain," Hans replied with a hint of uncertainty in his voice. "From what I can see their helmsman has turned the vessel away from us in such a manner that our two courses will not intersect."

"That sounds interesting," Pedro murmured thoughtfully as he swung his legs out of his bunk, "and it sounds suspicious. Why would a Spanish vessel try and avoid a Portuguese trading fleet? It makes no senses to me."

"It makes no sense to me as well Captain," Hans responded without hesitation. "Do you wish me to change course to intercept the vessel?"

"Not yet," Pedro replied firmly as he grabbed for his boots to put them on. "Instead signal the Cadiz to come along side. I want to speak to Bartholomew."

"Aye-aye Captain," Hans acknowledged. "I'll do that right away."

Five minutes later Pedro was upon the poop deck of the Hawk standing beside the portside railing watching as the Cadiz swung in close along that side of the Hawk so he and Bartholomew could speak. The Hawk was in the lead on this leg of the journey with the Cadiz lying off his portside and the Madrid lying off his starboard. Behind them sailed the two Spanish carracks and Madrid.

"Bartholomew," Pedro shouted out over the short distance that separated the two ships a few minutes later, "take the other ships and swing to the northeast of that Spanish ship then come about and chase her down. I'm taking the Hawk to the southeast in an attempt to cut her off."

"Aye-Aye Dom Pedro," Bartholomew cried back enthusiastically to Pedro in reply. "I'll do just that."

"Whatever happens," Pedro called back to him, "keep those two Spanish carracks out of action. They've got no cannons and their crews are under strength at best."

"Have no fear Dom Pedro," Bartholomew cried back across the distance, "I'll keep a good eye on them."

With that Pedro waved Bartholomew and the Cadiz off and then turned his attention back to his own helmsman.

"Helmsman bring this ship about," Pedro shouted loudly, "and set us heading towards the southeast. I want to cut that ship off before she gets away."

"Aye Captain," the helmsman barked back in reply as he carried out Pedro's commands. As the man did it, Pedro turned his attention to the ship's coxswain. The man had been standing nearby waiting for his orders.

"Coxswain," Pedro said to the man, a smile crossing his face as he did. "Pipe the crew to their stations. I've got a funny feeling that we're going to be boarding a ship in an hour or so, and I want to be ready."

"Aye Captain," the Coxswain chuckled in reply. "It looks like that to me as well. I think we're in for some fun."


"They have changed course as well," Captain de Barceló noted aloud a few moments later.

The captain of the San Fernando had remained on the poop deck of his craft and he had watched as his helmsmen had carefully brought his ship about so that the vessel would pass along a track parallel to that of the small Portuguese fleet. He had hoped that the fleet would ignore him. Considering that he flew Spanish colours there was no reason for the Portuguese vessels to really take an interest in the San Fernando, even if they were warships. Unfortunately his prayers and hope had been in vain. Through his spy-glass he watched as the lead vessel of the small force turn and peel off from the others. It became clear to him immediately that the small xebec intended to try and intercept them. More interestingly was what the four larger vessels were doing. They too had changed course so that their transit would take them northeast of the San Fernando's current position. If matters continued the way Captain de Barceló envisioned it, the Portuguese would eventually have him trapped between the xebec and the other vessels leaving no choice but to head out towards either the east or the west. If he headed to the east he would enter Moorish waters which meant he might encounter Moorish pirates and it he headed west the Portuguese would most likely pursue him and given the size of their craft they would most likely overtake his ship. Things did not look good.

"What do you mean they have changed course?" Don Diego gasped frantically. "Why would they do such a thing?"

Captain de Barceló looked at Don Diego once more and wondered about him. The man had been nervous since he'd come aboard the San Fernando. Given the rumours that Captain de Barceló had heard running about the taverns of the port as of late, it was clear that things were not well with the Count de Cordoba. People spoke of plots and intrigues and murders. Captain de Barceló had noted them in a casual manner but he had not truly concerned himself with whether they were true or not. He was a Spaniard and a servant of the Spanish crown. Portuguese politics was none of his business even at the worst of times. Now he wasn't so sure.

"I think you know why," Captain de Barceló declared after a few seconds of staring into the frightened face of Don Diego. "The Portuguese are obviously interested in us. The main force is sweeping towards the north of us so they can fall on us from behind while that xebec is running on full sails in an effort to cut us off. Given that I know of only one xebec carrying the colours of Portugal I will assume that the ship is the Hawk. That vessel belongs to House Alvarez. The same House once led by Dom Roberto de la Vega who recently disappeared and according to the rumour was murdered by the Count de Cordoba. Perhaps Don Diego you can answer your own question and tell me why the Hawk would beat a path towards us in such a fashion."

"The Hawk!" Don Diego cried out in disbelief. "That is impossible."

"And why Don Diego is it impossible for the Hawk to be there off our starboard quarter closing on us?" Captain de Barceló asked, pointing out towards the Hawk even as he spoke.

"Captain we must flee as quickly as can be," Don Diego cried out frantically. "The Hawk is commanded by enemies of the Count de Cordoba and they wish ill to all who serve Spain. If the Hawk boards us, the whelp who commands the ship will throw your crew into chains and sell you to the Moors in exchange for a handful of silver. Please Captain, you must do something."

"I will do something, although I doubt you will like my intentions," Captain de Barceló told Don Diego curtly. "I will bring the San Fernando about and we will try and make a run for the straits. If we are lucky we will fall in with other Spanish ships and their numbers will dissuade the Hawk from following us. If not perhaps we can make it through the straits and home to Spain before we are overtaken. I doubt it but it is our only hope."

"You can't do that," Don Diego shouted in response, shocked by what the captain of the San Fernando had just told him. 'We must reach the secret base in the Cape Verde islands. The Count de Cordoba is counting on us doing that. This mission is important."

"I can do it and I will do it," Captain de Barceló snarled back at Don Diego in such a manner that the man actually flinched. "You Senor are the one who told me to avoid these ships and that is what I am trying to do. Your mission may be vital to the Count de Cordoba but this vessel is a ship of Spain and I will not risk it being taken by force. Now you must choose. Will we continue to try and avoid the Portuguese or do we turn west and continue on towards Cape Verde knowing full well that we will be turning towards the Hawk and it will intercept us."

Don Diego looked at Captain de Barceló for a moment and then he looked away and turned his gaze out towards the sea and the ship that he could see off on the horizon that was quickly bearing down on them. He knew that he needed to make a decision before it became too late. He also knew that if he allowed the captain of San Fernando to head for a Spanish port that the chances were good that he would be arrested. He didn't want that.

"Will you protect me from the Portuguese if they try and board this ship?" Don Diego asked in a quivering voice.

"You are a Spanish gentleman aboard a Spanish ship," Captain de Barceló declared firmly, "and Spain and Portugal are not at war. The Portuguese have no cause to board my ship and if they do then they will be pirates. My men and I will defend you."

"Then come about my good Captain," Don Diego told the man, sighing heavily as he did, "and let us see what the whelp wants. Just be warned that the boy hates Spain and my master and he has already turned to piracy before having seized a ship flying Spanish colours once before. You cannot trust the boy."


"Henrique," Pedro shouted to his gunnery officer. "Put a shot across their bow to get their attention for me."

It was an hour later and the Hawk was less than a quarter mile from the Spanish ship. The vessel had come about and it had slackened its sails. Now it was simply riding upon the waves of the sea, waiting to be intercepted.

"Aye Captain," Henrique cried back to his captain before giving the order to fire. A moment later an explosion filled the air and a cannonball plopped down just short of the other vessel's bow. In reply the helmsman heeled his craft over hard and swung the craft's nose into the wind, slowing the vessel's progress even more. As it turned, Pedro ordered the Hawk to swing about the ship so that she could come about and match course with the Spanish vessel. It took a few minutes to accomplish.

"Strike your sails," Pedro shouted over to the other vessel when the Hawk slipped by the other vessel's stern the first time addressing the crew of the other ship in Spanish, "and prepare to be boarded."

The captain of the other ship shouted something back but his words were lost in the wind as the Hawk continued on. A moment later the helmsman of the Hawk had brought the ship about and he had lined the vessel up along the starboard side of Spanish ship. A few moments later both ships were side by side.

"I say again," Pedro shouted over to the other craft, "strike your sails and prepare to be boarded. If you don't I will send you to the bottom."

"Never," Captain de Barceló screamed back defiantly. "My ship is a Spanish vessel and your actions are those of a pirate. Be off with you or I will return shot for shot and send you to the bottom."

"You are the San Fernando and the ship of the Count de Cordoba," Pedro cried out to the man. "The Count is a traitor to Spain and an enemy of Portugal. Surrender him to me and I will spare you and your crew."

"This ship is a royal galley of Spain," Captain de Barceló threw back across the water, "and not the possession of the Count de Cordoba. It sails under the flag of Spain and boarding this vessel will be an act of piracy and Spain will retaliate if you persist."

Pedro glared at the man for a moment or two and then looked down the length of his ship. Henrique's gunner mate was kneeling at his station and waiting for Pedro to give the order to fire. Pedro then looked over towards the other ship. The vessel had but four cannons per side and they all stood upon the open deck of the ship. He knew just by looking that if it came to exchanging shots the Hawk would win. The question was if he really wanted to push things that far. Pursing his lips Pedro looked back at the captain of the other ship and called out to him once again.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.