Eric &will Make a B Movie - Cover

Eric &will Make a B Movie

Copyright© 2016 by qhml1

Chapter 28

The story was a national sensation. Sex, drugs, movie people, the tabliods ate it up. After living quietly for years, we were in the limelight, and I didn't like it. It got so bad I called all the networks, telling them we'd give one interview, at our studios, in one week. They could all film it, but only two journalists were allowed to ask questions, and we had veto rights over who. It would be up to them to pick them, or we'd choose our own, film it independently, and release it on the internet.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall while they negotiated and horse traded to pick the journalists. It came down to Charlie Rose, a man I'd admired greatly, and a young blond from Fox I'd never heard of. In a nod to Rose, we sat around a large kitchen table in our sound studio, and gave the histories of our lives. We'd been coached by our lawyers, who were present, on what we could and couldn't say about our relationship.

The blonde, Melissa Andrews, got into it pretty quickly. "Are they your wives?"

"We're life partners, We have children together. But we're not married, at least not in a legal sense. I find it odd you can live with as many people as you want, but you can marry only one. I feel that barrier will fall in the next twenty years or so. Don't think so? Bet you thought the same about homosexuals being able to legally marry. I can marry Tory, or Tory could marry Cathy, but we can't all be married. Does it matter to us? It does to me, I don't think it ever bothered the girls much. They both have my name, but only because they went to court and changed it. But make no mistake, I'm just a henpecked husband over fifty, but the henpecking is done in stereo. Do I recommend it? Only if you think it's right for you. Think about it though, the tribulations can be twice as hard, but the rewards can be twice as sweet."

Charlie Rose surprised me. "There isn't much of a paper trail on you before about twenty years ago, when you started making movies. Then it seems you were everywhere. Your production company is responsible for two very successful television series, and your theatrical movies have a very impressive track record. If that isn't enough, you seem to be able to work with some of the most reclusive writers in the world. How is that all possible?"

I took a deep breath. We'd talked about it beforehand, and I'd decided it was time to come out of the shadows. Time to let the world know who I was.

"It was really easy, Charlie. You see, I'm Rock Stone. I'm also Issabella, and Wiley B. Smiley. I'm a one man shop."

That surprised even him into silence. Then the blond laughed. "You really expect us to believe it? You are three of the most successful writers of the last two decades?"

"You're a journalist, Miss Andrews. I don't expect you to take anything at face value, that would be pretty naive, for a pofessional, now wouldn't it? Do what you're supposed to do. Investigate."

Charlie couldn't help but smile as the woman blushed furiously. "Well, I believe you. It's just to easy to verify, if you open up. But tell me, why did you reveal that now?"

I shrugged. "Age, attitude, I don't really know. Just tired of living in the shadows, I guess. Doesn't change me personally. I'm still a pretty private person, protective of my family. Just like any guy in the suburbs. You try to do the best you can for your family, no matter what dynamic it may consist of."

Melissa, smarting by my put down, tried to attack the girls over their past. I smiled, knowing what was coming. I'd done my own investigating. They were smiling, nodding their head, waiting for her to finish.

"Why, yes, Melissa, we were in porn. Are we proud of it? Not particularly. We did what we had to to survive. Surely you know what that's like, don't you? When you first moved to LA, a single mother with a small child, didn't you once do a spread for a major adult magazine of the time? I bet you're glad now they never published it."

She'd gone white, all her moral high ground evaporating under her feet. "How did you ... I paid good money to get rid of those pictures!" Suddenly she shut up, realizing she'd just confirmed she had indeed posed nude.

She lost her taste for the interview, and Charlie carried the rest of it, talking about the incident that had sparked the interview, asking about future projects, commenting on our committment to our community with charity events, our horse therapy, and our partnership with Jose saving dying equine breeds. He said later in his memoirs it was one of his most memorable interviews.

We were hot for awhile, then some senator got caught doing something with a foreign politicians' underage daughter, and we were old news.

Eric and Maria bought two hundred acres twenty minutes away, and built a house that looked a lot like ours, and a nice clinic for her to practice out of. He became a minor partner in the studio, developing a taste for television shows. They have four kids now, all boys. Eric says they're not going to stop until they have a girl, but Maria swears the next one will be the last, no matter what the sex is.

Tina went to college, majoring in agribusiness, and took over the horse operation when her father retired. She married, a Swedish exchange student who is scared to death of horses. He's an engineer. Two kids, one each, so far.

Both Tory's sisters went to school, studying film. One is a sound editor for us, the other is a fledgling director, working under one of our best on a television show. Both married, one child each, both girls.

We have most family events in the summer, there just isn't a house big enough to hold all of us. I expanded the outdoor dining room, because I had to.

After cowriting several Battle Babe novels with Leah, I turned them over to her. She's working on a second generation storyline that holds a lot of promise. Issabella retired, though I still write a romance from time to time. They aren't quite as successful, a gender bias I suspect.

I turned the studio over to Eric, Dorian, and Leah. I'm still Chairman of the Board, but I only come in if they need advice. I leave the day to day decisions to them.

All this happened because I was at my desk one day, after working twelve and fourteen hours a day for weeks, trying to keep our latest project on time and under budget, when I felt a tightening in my chest. It got worse as the day went on, and not being an idiot, I immediately went to my doctor. That resulted in a trip to the hospital, where I was admitted for 'tests'.

The girls went crazy, and the rest of the family descended on the hospital like an angry horde. "Stress," the doctors said, "and he really needs to exercise more. A change in diet wouldn't hurt, either."

The upshot of the whole episode was that the family took a vote and decided it was time for me to retire. I wasn't allowed to cast a vote. The threats my wives made if I didn't follow their advice would have scared a hardened terrorist.

So, while the family indulged in all the spicy and delicious meals we were known for, I got salads for awhile. The girls also had a tennis court installed, and I went back to playing, appalled at how bad I was. The kids were beating the crap out of me. Of course, I was fifty-five and out of shape, and they were teenagers, but still.

After three months I was back to eating whatever the family had, but only in moderation. I lost twenty-six pounds and had an excellent fat/muscle ratio.

Of course, the girls were already retired, concentrating on our babies, if since the youngest were fifteen now they could still be counted babies. I became a soccer dad, helping haul our extended family to sporting events, practices, any lessons they were taking, movies and outings, anything at all. I ended up purchasing another minivan to match the ones we already had. This was less stress? Of course it was.

The best times were when we were riding our horses, and fishing. We'd saddle up after Sunday lunch, if it was weather fit, and ride the trails we'd laid out. I still had Mike, my mule, although his riding days were almost over. Pretty soon I'd retire him, giving him his own small domain, along with a few older mares he could lord over. I'm pretty sure he'd be happy.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.