Challenge - Cover

Challenge

Copyright© 2016 by Dual Writer

Chapter 5

John was here at the farm by seven and began digging right away. We had everything dug by eight-thirty, and the pipe laid and covered by ten. The man was a wizard with his equipment. I told him that he could come over and clean his equipment here when I had the steamer ready.

He told me, "Jump in your pickup and follow me home. We'll separate the stock real quick and come back for that coffee and pie that Monique made for me."

That's exactly what we did. The steers were all being lazy today and moved only when we poked them. Three were in John's barn to get fat, three were in a small pen to be shipped for cash, and one was ready for the butcher.

Back at our house, John said, "Call your Aunt Kate, and see if she'll come over. I might have a surprise."

Kate was happy to hear from me and I told her John was here and asked if she might come over. She said she would be here in ten minutes. That's a rather record time for a woman who would normally take an hour to dress to go to breakfast."

Grandpa had joined us while we had some of Monique's pie and some fresh coffee. John reached across the table for Kate's hand and told her, "I'm a mess, Kate. All I can think about since I first met you is being with you for the rest of my life. I'm not a prize catch; I am a good farmer, however, and know how to make a living. Will you marry me, Kate?"

I think he had the desired effect. Kate looked at the man, her jaw dropped open, and then she fainted. John scooped her up and put her on the big couch in the living room. Aunt Kate's eyes slowly opened and looked at John. She smiled as she said, "If you just asked me to marry you, I'm ready. You've been too much a gentleman since we've been seeing each other. Both of us know what it is all about, so take me home and do with me as you should."

Grandpa smiled at me as we watched the two leave the house. John left his equipment behind, so I put the backhoe into the big shed. I looked at the big hole and thought I should probably frame it in, but then I thought to let it be natural. I called the rock company and they said they could deliver early Monday morning. Business was slow for everyone due to the cold weather. I had to drive all the way to the city to get the parts for the steamer. I brought them all home and attacked the beast. It was going to take me a while to do this, but time was what I had a lot of.

I was nervous Friday because of my date, but I figured that I didn't need to be in a suit, and that khakis, a nice shirt, and coat would be good enough. It was mid-December, so it was cold, but we would all be fine. It was decided that we would take the Suburban, so it was perfectly clean when we left to pick up Jed and Jenny. Josey and I had to go in when we arrived at the Browning home, and were greeted by all twelve kids, as well as Mr. and Mrs. Browning. I think all twelve of the Browning kids had names beginning with a 'J'. There's no reason for it, but a guy picking up his date always feels like he's on the spot. Mr. Browning asked where we were going, and I said, "I think we're going to the theater in the city." I looked at the others who were going with me and they all had a totally blank look on their faces. I wanted to say 'What the fuck?' but said, "That seems to be where we are going."

My only help was Mr. Browning who shook my hand and told me, "I know you'll take care of Jenny. Just bring Jed back in one piece."

Mrs. Browning hugged me and said, "I know you kids have had a hard time, but everyone's talking about how you all have worked together to keep your family together and have been successful at farming. I even heard you brought your Grandfather home to be with you. Have a good time tonight."

I was driving and Jenny was in the passenger seat when we were in the car. Jed and Josey were in the back seat actually holding hands and leaning into each other. Jenny laid her hand on my arm, and said, "Thank you for taking me out tonight. I've wanted you to take me out for a long time, Kenny, but you've never asked. You didn't ask anyone, so I was forward and had Josey help me get you to take me out."

That was sweet, but made me feel like a dolt for not trying to get a date with the school's best looking female.

We saw a good movie and then enjoyed some hamburgers at a drive-through burger joint. It was time to take us all home, but none of us wanted the night to end. I said, "We've all had a great time tonight and I know I want to go out with Jenny again soon, so how about we make your folks happy by getting you home at a reasonable hour."

It was agreed that we would go home, so I drove to their farm. Jed asked, "Can you stop for a minute so that Josey and I can say goodnight?" when we turned into their lane road.

Duh, couldn't they say goodnight when we were at the door?

This model Suburban didn't have a big divider with a lot of cup holders since it was a bench seat. Jenny snuggled over to me, and whispered, "You can kiss me if you want."

What's this if I want? I wanted to kiss those beautiful lips and will probably get off thinking of it later. Jenny and I kissed for the first time, and it was as if there were fireworks firing up into the sky. I felt things I didn't know existed and looked into her eyes to see she was seeing the same things. We heard a moan from the middle seat and turned to look. My sister, my little sister, was holding a boy's crotch while his hand was squeezing her breast. Jenny looked at me, and I took in a deep breath. I started the car with Jenny holding onto my arm and kissing my cheek. We drove up the lane and into their parking area, making sure there were no good sight lines from the house to the car.

The passionate clinch in the back seat had relaxed. Jenny pulled my lips to hers for a kiss that was beyond my knowledge. She told me, "Call me. Come to see me. Please don't forget me. I really enjoyed being with you, Kenny. I think we can have something together."

I took Jenny to her door and we sweetly kissed. She reached for the door and it opened to the smiling face of Mrs. Browning. Jed came running up and hugged his mother on the way into the house. Mrs. Browning caught the sleeve of my shirt, and brought me to her. She said, "Think nicely of Jenny. She's had her sights on you for a long, long time. Kindly think of her, Kenny." Wow, a mother promoting her daughter.

Josey was in the front passenger seat when I got back to the car. She told me, "Another fifteen minutes and I'd have been spread out and fucked, dear brother. That man made me so hot that I'm in flames."

"Are you alright, Josey? What in the world has gotten into you?"

"That man has my number, Kenny. He affects me even more than you, and that is immoral. I want it; I want something I haven't had yet. I want Jed to make love to me until I swell up and burst. I know him and I know he has never seriously dated many girls. They all said that he was 'Mr. Dull Guy', but I have to tell you that he flipped my switch as soon as we sat together. Don't poke me tonight, Kenny, or I'll drop my drawers and fuck you like Monique would like to fuck Chet."

"Is it safe to take you home, Josey? Will you be a good girl all night? Should I take you back to the Brownings' place and drag him out to the car for you?"

Josey said, "I wish, but he may not feel the same way. That's the first time I've ever felt like that with someone other than you, Kenny. I want to feel all that again and often. Those kids don't have cell phones, although I think Jed does because he has a job in town in addition to his work at home."

The two of us had some left over pie and a glass of milk when we got home. Josey said, "Go to bed and don't let me get next to you. I'm really primed tonight. Maybe Jed will ask me for more, and I'll show that man what a woman can do." My sister was ridiculously funny.

I didn't have Josey, but I had June on one side and Jeff on the other. In a sleepy voice, Jeff said, "You always make me feel like Dad's hugging me."

I had tears streaming down my face as I held my little brother. I fell asleep thinking about how I can continue to raise him to be a good man.

The next day, Josey said, "Okay, we're going to the city to get Kenny a suit," as soon as breakfast was complete and the dishes were washed. "He's grown and needs something bigger. You boys put your Sunday suits on to see if you need new ones too." Chet really hadn't grown, and his suit still fit him nicely. Jeff was getting high water pants. Josey turned the legs out to see if there was enough fabric to lengthen them, but it was a lost cause. Jeff and I were destined to get new suits. Jeff probably needed new dress shoes, but mine were fine as long as I continued to shine them. I was a little concerned that Chet wasn't continuing to grow. Jeff was going to overtake him in size soon.

We went to Sears and I didn't care for the strange guy who was waiting on men. The mall had a Penny's, so we checked their men's wear department. They had loads of clothes, and I found a suit everyone liked. They marked it up to fit me, and I found a couple of shirts and ties. Jeff found something that he really liked and was fitted at the same time as me. That was a bite out of our budget, but it was something we were expecting. Each of the girls had things they needed and found the undergarments they wanted.

We were sitting in the food court having a snack a little later. I asked Chet, "You haven't been growing much, so how about a physical when I get mine. You may be just a little smaller than some of us, but I'd like the doc to tell me that."

Chet was willing as it would get him out of some classes. I at least had his commitment to get checked out.

I asked Josey on the way home; "I'd like to spend some more time with Jenny if she's willing. How about calling her brother and see if she can come out tonight?"

Josey called and was immediately asked out by Jed. She wanted to go, but she made sure that Jenny and I would get together tonight. The end result was that Josey and Jed were going to spend the evening at our house, and Jenny and I were going to spend the evening at her house. I had a great time with all her brothers and sisters. We did a lot of joking, played cards, ate popcorn, and the two of us finally stepped out onto the porch to say goodnight. I was just going to give her a short gentle kiss, but it turned out to be an amazing kiss that had us both panting. Jenny told me, "You're special, Kenny. I want you to be special to me, and I want to be special to you. We're of age, Kenny, think about it and keep me. I want to be kept."

Whoa, wow, amazing, a woman is asking to be kept. She was actually asking to be married. Sure, that sounded good, but would it work? That's some scary stuff.

"We don't know enough about each other to make that kind of commitment, Jenny. I'm raising my sisters and brothers, and am just learning how to take control. Josey and I are doing all the books and making sure the kids and Grandpa are all taken care of."

Jenny was smiling and said, "I can help with all that. I'm a farmer's daughter, and know how to work in the fields, I'm a good cook, I know to keep a clean house, and I want to learn to be a good wife. You're a good man, Kenny, and you need a woman in your life. My hand is raised; pick me, pick me! You don't have to say yes today, but I want you to think about it real hard."

This girl I had known all my life pressed into me and gave me a kiss that melted the eyelets on my shoes. I couldn't even think, much less walk back to the pickup in a straight line. I watched her go back inside and opened the door to my truck. Mr. Browning was standing beside the rear wheel, and after startling me, said, "These girls are like their mother. Sara worked me every way possible until I just gave up and we did all the stuff so a priest could marry us when she made up her mind that I was going to provide a home, work a farm, and raise kids with her. I'm not sure what Jenny has planned since you're not Catholic, but she's acting just like her mother did. I still consider that we waited for our wedding night one of my most treasured accomplishments. I don't think we got out of bed for two days. She took a shower after bleeding all over the place that first time, put Vaseline on herself, and kept right on going. We couldn't do anything for a couple of days when we finally stopped for something to eat. We were both really sore."

That was too much information.

I was watching the man to make sure that he didn't think I had been forward with Jenny. He said, "I just wanted to let you know that I realize how much pressure is going to be put on you. You honestly told her that you didn't know her well yet, and she didn't know you either. Don't let her rush you, and don't be alone with her so that she can't attack you and give you more than you want. You seem to have your head on straight. I like you and all your family, Kenny."

"Good night, Sir, I need to get home to make sure the kids get to bed. We have Church in the morning."

The man nodded and went toward the house.

I saw Jed coming toward his house and stopped to talk to him. I asked if he enjoyed the evening. Jed said, "Your sister is so much more relaxed than my sisters. It's not like Jenny who thinks the world will come to an end if you don't immediately propose to her. You and Jenny are like Josey and me. We really don't know each other well enough. We've known each other all our lives and played with each other as kids, but we've both had lives that have taken us away from each other. Watch my sister, though; she's sort of made up her mind."

"Thanks, Jed, I'll do that."

The house was already pretty dark, although there was a light in my room. I went into the kitchen to have a drink of water and hunt for a cookie. I wondered about how intense Jenny was. I was sitting at the kitchen table when Josey came and made me move away from the table so that she could sit on my lap. "I really like that boy who's become a man. Do you know that he has saved the money he's made over the years in order to have enough to build a house when he gets married? He says the land his dad farms should be enough for most of the kids to be able to make a living on it."

"How was your time with Jenny? Jed says she pretty determined to make this a short courtship. What do you think?"

I gave Josey a squeeze and said, "She actually almost directly asked me to marry her. I think she was ready for the priest tonight. Her dad came out to tell me that was how her mother was when he met her. He warned me to watch her because the women in that house were very determined. I stopped to chat with Jed on the way home, and he said that you were fun to be with because you weren't pushy with men like his sisters are. He said he wants to get to know you real well before you two go farther."

Josey said, "That's the impression I got from him. I'll tell Jenny to cool it or she'll run you off if I get a chance to talk to her. I know you'll make up your mind when you're ready."

"Let's go to bed. Tomorrow is going to be busy."

I had June in bed with me, and we were joined by Josey. I wonder how Jed and Jenny would feel about this.

I woke up early Sunday morning and went out to do the barn chores. The calves were romping around, being playful this morning. I hadn't done it yet, so I checked each of them to make sure they had the rubber band treatment. They were all fixed, so I could now bide my time to sell them as yearlings or raise them to slaughter size.

Jeff's and my new suits looked good on us today. We both had new shirts and ties, so we were very GQ for a change. A couple of the girls who were Josey's and my ages were very friendly today, making suggestions that they could be asked out. June thought it was funny that girls were finally paying attention to me after I had been going to that Church all my life. I think it was the realization that I was working a successful farm and hadn't committed to a female yet that had them interested. Aunt Kate and John met us at Church, and said that they were going to the city for dinner.

John got me off to the side, and asked, "Kate's divorce has been final for a while now, and I think we might make a good couple. You didn't mind that I asked her to marry me, did you? I know she's not really your relative, but it's like she looks to you for a lot."

I shook the man's hand and said, "Good luck with that. I think she probably is good wife material, but you're going to have to make that decision."

He smiled at me, and said, "At least she has experience getting a divorce. I think we'll get one of those agreements where we keep what we brought to the marriage if something happens. That lawyer fella, Smith, can make one of those up for us. We sort of talked about it and she was the one who brought it up."

I laughed and told him, "So you're already writing an escape clause. Doesn't that doom it?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.