Varna: The Grojan War Book Two - Cover

Varna: The Grojan War Book Two

Copyright© 2016 by C. Osborne Rapley

Chapter 20: A Plan

The door creaked and moved an inch. Sweat beaded on Mark's brow and his arm muscles bulged with the effort. With the gap he hoped it would be easier to break the door mechanism. At least it was not an emergency bulkhead door. Even with his strength he would not have been able to overcome the deadlocks. He shifted his hands quickly before the door shut again and put his fingers in the gap. He took a deep breath and pulled, and his arms started to shake with the effort. He took another deep breath and, gritting his teeth, gave the door one final massive heave. Without warning the closing mechanism gave way and the door slid open. He turned back to the room and knelt down next to the two fuzzed Grojan battle suits. When the wearer died the suit would destroy the remains of the occupant.

He picked up the two fallen pistols, one he stuffed into his belt the other he checked the charge, stood and turned to leave. As he did so he noticed Varna's gown in a heap where she had let it fall. Mark swore; his Grojan half wanted to rip the abductors to shreds for taking what was his even if just before they burst into the cabin he had been debating with himself whether he even wanted to continue a relationship with a female such as her. Fucking Grojan! He knew deep in his soul having bonded with one there was no way back.

He put those thoughts aside and ran through the corridor to the entrance hatch, the inner airlock door that Varna had obviously closed when she had arrived had a gaping hole in it. The snatch had been quick and dirty, they had not even tried to override the lock, they just used brute force. If he hadn't already been pissed with the kidnappers for snatching Varna he would have been pissed at them for destroying the work he had already done on the fucking ship.

He ducked through the hole and surveyed the carnage they had left in the royal garden. Royal Guards with swords had been no match for attackers in modern battle armor wielding pulse pistols. Bodies lay everywhere, more guards were streaming into the garden fanning out around the ship, others were checking the bodies but the enemy had gone.

A guard captain ran up to him, breathless. "Sir, are you all right?"

Mark nodded. "Yes, Captain, I'm fine."

The officer surveyed the bodies on the lawn and the ship. "What were they after?"

Not wanting to get embroiled with explanations Mark just shrugged. "I don't know, Captain, they locked me in a cabin."

"They also hit the city barracks - you can see the smoke." The officer pointed to a plume of smoke Mark had not noticed.

"Right, Captain, just clear up here, and remember, if any more arrive don't oppose them, your men will just get slaughtered. I'm going to check out what has happened at the barracks."

"Yes, sir." The Captain ran off to attend to his men.

"Mark made his way through the now heavily guarded gate and jogged down the street to the smoking city barracks. As he reached the steps in front of the barracks building a marvark and rider galloped up from the opposite direction and Arron slid from its back. Breathless, Arron addressed him in Standard. "Mark? What the fuck has happened?"

"I don't know, but they've taken Varna."

"She was with you? Did they take her alive?"

"Yes."

"Shit! Did you... ?"

"Yes!" Mark snapped, glaring at him. "What's it to you anyway?"

Arron slapped him on the shoulder. "No offence Mark, but it makes the problem a thousand times worse for you, that's all."

"Yep, to say I'm seriously pissed is an understatement!"

"OK, let's go and find out what has happened here." They strode up the steps together where fire teams were passing buckets to men fighting a fire in the prison wing.

When the officer in charge noticed Arron he saluted. "General."

"What has happened here, Captain?" Arron asked.

"Four people in armor, using weapons like the Usurpers had, forced their way in killing six of my men. They then killed the two remaining women, cut off their ears and a thumb then left.

Arron cursed. "Bounty hunters! Grojan have an ID chip in their thumb, and the ears are a tradition."

"What about Theasa?" Mark asked.

"Oh shit! She is with Minara, who can normally look after herself, but against someone in battle armor she has no chance. Come on Mark."

Arron sprinted out the door and down the steps to his marvark. He jumped into the saddle and Mark swung up behind him. He spurred the animal forward and they were soon careering through the streets towards Arron's manor house.

They were soon turning into the sweeping drive and even before the animal had stopped Arron sprinted up the steps, threw back the front door and shouted. "Minara! Minara." Mark was hard on his heels as soon as a servant had taken the marvark's reins

After a moment the library door opened and Minara appeared. "Arron, for Ancestors sake! What has got into you! You'll wake the baby shouting like that!"

"Oh thank God!" He ran to her, picked her up, and spun her round.

"Put me down, you idiot!" She glanced over at Mark standing in the hall. "Put me down, we have guests."

He put her down and planted a huge kiss on her mouth. She stepped back looking slightly dazed. "What's going on?"

He grabbed her hands in his. "Is Theasa here?"

"Yes of course, she is in the library with me. Now please calm down and tell me what is happening."

Theasa appeared at the door. "Hello, is there a problem?" She noticed Mark. "Where's Varna?"

Arron looked over his shoulder to Mark then back to the two women. "Come and sit down, I'm afraid I have some bad news." He ushered then back into the library, beckoned Mark over, then sat next to Minara on a sofa. He waited until Theasa and Mark had sat down before continuing. "It would seem we have been attacked by bounty hunters." He took a breath and looked at Theasa. "I'm sorry, but they have killed Petara and Catana, then cut off their ears and thumbs."

"Oh Ancestors, no!" Theasa covered her mouth with her hand and tears started to glisten on her cheeks. Minara rose, walked over to her and put an arm on her shoulder. Theasa wiped a tear from her cheek then added, "They were my friends, and they were always good to me." Her breath hitched and a sob shook her.

Minara's gaze turned to Mark. "Where is Varna, she left hours ago to come and see you and finally resolve your bond one way or another."

"They've taken her." He fisted his hands and his jaw ticked. "And before you ask, yes we had just consummated the bonding."

Minara's eyes filled with sympathy. "Oh, Mark, I'm so sorry."

"Nowhere near as sorry as they will be when I find them."

Minara sat on the arm of the chair so she could remain close to the softly sobbing Theasa. "Did you see their ship, Mark?"

"No it must have been hidden somewhere."

"Did you see it, my love?" She had turned to Arron, who shook his head.

"No, I was inspecting the newly repaired southern gate when the attack on the barracks started. By the time I got there it was all over. As soon as I realized what they were after I thought of you and Theasa. So we rushed here to ensure you were all right."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.