Eden on the Rails - Cover

Eden on the Rails

Copyright© 2015 by Gordon Johnson

Chapter 2

"Fine, Welty, at least up until a half an hour ago. I hear you have a murderer and two frightened girls here."

"Yes, siree, Gov'nor. The boys brought him in. Noisy he was. Once they had him manacled to the cell wall, they put a gag on him to shut him up. He was a mix of anger and tears, he was. They said he had torn up the room where his wife died, so we didn't want to take any chances, so that's why the manacles and the gag."

"I do hope he has not been allowed to suffocate, Welty."

"Oh, dear. I suppose that could be a possibility, if he vomits. I'll get Fred to check him. Fred!"

Another guard hurried out from the cells area. "Yes, boss?"

"Go check that guy with the gag on, will you. Make sure he doesn't choke to death. The hangman would not be happy."

The guard rushed back to do that check of the prisoner. John Wells questioned Welty, "Hangman? You know we don't have capital punishment, Welty!"

"Yeah, Gov'nor, but the prisoner might not. Keep him worrying: makes for a simpler life for me, I reckon."

John snorted. "A joke in poor taste, Welty. Still, up to your usual standard of black humour. What about the girls, where are they?"

"Oh, them. They are in my office, having a nap. They were half frightened to death, poor kids. They are wrapped in a blanket that we keep for emergencies, snug and warm, and having a snooze in my easy chair to help them get over the shock of seeing their mum lying dead, and their dad rampaging around."

"Have you given them anything to eat or drink, Welty?"

"Nope, Gov. When they was brought in they was too uptight. Suffering from shock, is what the doc says."

"Oh. You have had them seen by the local doctor?"

"Just said that, didn't I? He says they has no bruises, just scared for their lives. In need of protective care, is what he said. I am sure he is right. They was bundled up in their coats, they was, so I didn't see if they was bruised. Felt it was best to call in the doc. Like you, he was a bit peeved at first, but then said we was right to call him. Said they needed a bit of sleep to help them over the shock."

"Quite so, Welty. Good man. I always knew you were the right man for this job."

"I admit I ain't got much book learning, Gov'nor, but I know what is right and what is wrong, and I have a talent for getting my men to do their work."

"That's exactly what I spotted in you, Welty. An innate ability to lead your men, and a sense of right and wrong. We leave it to the experts to say what law they break, but your job is to pick them up, restrain them and then let justice prevail.

"I suppose I had better have a look at this prisoner, first of all."

"Right, sir. Fred!" he called again.

The other guard popped his head round the door. "He's breathin', boss."

"Good man. Would you take the Gov'nor to have a quiet word with the prisoner, Fred?"

"Sure. Come on, Governor. Our guest awaits your pleasure."

John followed Fred down the corridor to a series of cells, most of them with doors wide open. Fred stopped outside the closed door, and peered in through the small glass window in the door.

"Yep. He's still here, and still breathin', Governor. Do you want to go in, or just chat to him from the doorway? The second is safer, I reckon."

"I'll go with your advice, Fred. You lads know what you are doing. It is your nick, after all."

Fred unlocked the door and swung it open, inwards. No cell doors opened outwards, for the safety of the guards. He announced, "Mister Fabricci, the Governor is here to speak with you."

There came a growl from within, nothing more. John peered through the door, and saw Joe Fabricci sitting awkwardly on a fold-down bed. The awkwardness came from the manacles holding his legs apart, and the plastic cable that attached them to a ring set in the wall. He could sit, but could not lie down. He had a gag stretched round his head and through his mouth, preventing any major noise from being emitted.

Fred spoke to the prisoner, "Joe, if I take the gag off, will you promise to speak proper to the Governor, who is here to see you? One word out of order, and it goes back on."

The prisoner nodded his acquiescence, and Fred removed the gag. Joe made a noise, indicating a need to spit, and Fred brought him a small bucket, which Joe used. Joe then spoke.

"Sorry about that, Governor. Gags and me don't sit well together. Is Cheryl dead?"

"So I am told, Joe. I was called out and this is my first stop. I need to ascertain the facts. What is your own story about the events?"

"Not too sure, Governor. It is a bit fuzzy, now. At work, I nearly got hit with a concrete sleeper, and I lost my temper with the crane driver. The boss sent me home to get over it, and when I got home, Cheryl was lying on the couch, listening to music as if she hadn't a care in the world. That set me off again. I yelled at her, and may have used my fists when she stood up. Somehow or other, her head hit something and she fell down, blood pouring out of her head. I lost it entirely then; I don't know what I did. It was all a red rage before me. By the time I stopped, the room was a mess, and Cheryl was lying on the floor, not moving. Do you reckon I killed her, Governor?"

"From what I have been told, Joe, that may be the case. I have to get more information, such as what the doctor says, and what your girls can tell me."

"The girls! Where are they? I haven't done anything to them, have I? God, I hope not! Governor, if I killed their mum, can you make sure the girls are looked after? I don't think I could look them in the eye again. Oh, hell, what have I done?"

"Joe, your girls are being looked after just now. They are traumatised, for they saw you, and their mum's body, but I promise they will be well looked after. They are the innocents in all this."

"It is true then. I killed Cheryl. I didn't meant to, Governor, honestly. I just get these bouts of anger, when I lose it entirely. Cheryl didn't deserve to die. The girls didn't deserve to see that scene, either. My life is over, Governor. I deserve to die, too; or whatever is coming to me."

"We shall see, Joe. You certainly appear to be in the frame for murder. Allow me the time to investigate the circumstances, and we shall find out what is what, regarding your future, if you have any future. Goodbye, Joe. Thank you for speaking to me so calmly."

John left his position at the doorway, allowing Fred to close the door with an admonition, "We'll leave off the gag, Joe, as long as you behave. I'll be along to see you in a while."

Fred locked the door then escorted the Governor back to the front office, where Welty took over.

"Satisfactory, Gov'nor?"

"Indeed, Welty. He seems to have settled down, but he willingly admitted to the crime. I now need to see the doctor's report on the body. Do you have that, yet?"

"No, sir. Doctor Mirrilees said it would be done tomorrow morning, but if you need a summary, you can phone him. He left his number with me."

Sitting down on the only available seat, John tried the number, and got through at once. Dr Mirrilees was at home.

"Ah, yes, Governor. I expected you would call. The body?"

"Yes, please, doctor. The short version, today, for my ears only, if you please."

"Brief and to the point, Governor. The lady died from a puncture wound inflicted by the corner of a piece of furniture when she fell. Her stomach showed no signs of alcohol or other drugs, so at the moment I am presuming a push or a punch sent her falling. I have to check with her medical records to eliminate a fall caused by illness. There was no obvious bruise on her face, but she may have been punched on the body. I have asked for an autopsy to look for such signs. That should get done in the morning, as a priority."

"A quick death, or not, doctor?"

"Very rapid. She would be unconscious with that wound to the head, and the contusion would release blood into the brain as well as outside. She would not have felt anything prior to death, if that is any consolation for the family. That is all I can give you at present, Governor."

"Satisfactory, doctor, satisfactory. I will await the autopsy report and your written assessment of the circumstances, but we have a couple of eye witnesses to the aftermath. Once I have interviewed them, and had a report from the scenes of crime officers, we will be in a better position to take this to a judgment. Thank you for your careful work, and in advance for your report. Good night, sir."

"Good night, Governor."

John closed his phone down, looked up at Welty, and remarked, "Time I had a word with the girls, Welty. Do you have their names?"

"I think so, sur. One said she was Penny; the other claimed to be Tabs. I am not sure about these, to be truthful, Gov'nor."

"I get it, Welty. Penny will be the familiar form of Penelope, and Tabs will be a pet name for Tabitha."

"Tabitha, eh? Never heard of it, but you have the better learning, Gov'nor; that's why you is Gov'nor."

"Welty, I hope my qualifications for the post are a lot more than just book learning, but admittedly it is a factor. Shall we go through and see if these children are able to tell us something?"

Welty opened his office door. The hinges swung it noiselessly, and the two men walked inside. A softly-cushioned easy chair was sat in the far corner, and curled up in it was a blanket-wrapped bundle with two heads visible, each lolling to the side. The girls were sound asleep.

John looked to Welty. "Did the Doc say they weren't to be disturbed, or what? I wouldn't want to do anything that might upset them more, Welty."

"Not as I recall, sur. He just told me, "Let them sleep for a while. It will help them with the shock." That was all he said, Gov'nor, I swear."

"Well, the word "while" could mean anything, in this regard. I take full responsibility for my decision on this, Welty. Remember that fact, please. Oh, and talking about the doctor, did you get him to make an examination of the prisoner?"

"Uhmm. No, sir. The prisoner was never mentioned as being in custody."

"Welty, as soon as I finish interviewing the girls – you stay with me as a witness until then – you get hold of that doctor and ask him to examine the prisoner: a full medical examination, looking for all factors that might have affected his behaviour."

"Yes, sir. I will do that, Governor."

John, noticing that both girls had long blonde hair, suddenly observed that one of the girls, the taller one, had an eye open, staring at him. He smiled at her, disarmingly, as the other eye also opened, and said softly, "Hello, young lady. Are you feeling a bit better? My name is John Wells: I am the Governor of New Eden."

She suddenly turned her head from side to side, her eyes searching for something. John guessed, and said, "He is in a jail cell, my dear. You are safe here. Are you Penelope or Tabitha?"

Her eyes jerked back to him, relief showing in her face. "Penelope, sir. I prefer Penny. My sister is Tabitha, but she is called Tabs by everyone." She paused, before asking, hesitantly, "What is happening, mister Governor, sir?" She had finally got it through her head that he was the Governor.

"Penny, there is no easy way to say this: Your Mum is dead. A doctor has confirmed it. She struck her head in a fall. The doctor says she died quickly."

Penny's tired response indicated that she expected that to be the case.

"Pa?" She had difficulty asking what she really wanted to know. "My father, sir. What did he have to do with it?" She gulped, "We saw ... he was smashing things up, in a rage, and Mum was lying on the floor. There was blood..."

"Yes, I understand. Must have been quite a shock to you. How did you get out of the house?" The Governor wanted to hear.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.