Into It!, Book 2
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

The three of us went to the Methodist church where I had gone with my grandparents and had continued to go until starting college. It was a good group of people. The church had received a new pastor last year and I didn't know him well since I hadn't been here much of the last few years. He seemed to be a good guy and had given some good sermons when I had been there that taught me much. I did know many others including the teachers of my Sunday School class. Karen and Marianne were a hit though introducing her as my fiancee did dim interest. Everyone saw how she held on to me. Marianne, on the other hand, was unattached and her good looks attracted attention despite the fact that she was younger than all the others in attendance. It's sexist but the reality is that a younger female attracted attention from older males when the opposite didn't necessarily apply. She had wanted to be with Karen and me rather than go to the high school class.

The teachers of the class were an older couple. They taught single lessons during the school year rather than multiple week lessons. They recognized that many people were in and out from school. During the summer, they embarked upon longer lesson series when more people were present on a regular basis. At the end of the lesson, they prayed for each person there by name. Their children were older and lived away so we took the place of their children. I liked them and could tell that Karen felt comfortable with them, too.

After the prayer, we went to the sanctuary and found seats. Marianne was subjected to a number of the guys talking to her which slowed us down. It was all fine and she even gave her phone number to one guy. Another was also a senior in high school. Tom also received her number. I sat between them in church and we made a trio with Marianne singing soprano while Karen sang alto and I picked up the bass part. Our pastor asked for visitors to stand. I pulled both girls to their feet. I said, "I want to introduce my fiancee, Karen Monroe, and my sister, Marianne Gilman." There was the usual polite applause and we sat down.

It was a good service with an inspiring message about people maximizing themselves by following God's will. After the benediction, we went back to my house.

Lunch was being prepared and Karen and I went to our rooms to change and to pack for the trip back to school. I brought our suitcases out and took them to the truck while Karen talked with Marianne. As I came inside, Karen said, "That will work. I will get in touch about matching up with Nicki's dress." She looked up at me. "Brad, Marianne will be a bridesmaid. I'm starting a collection so you have to gather some groomsmen." She grinned.

At that moment, Morris said, "Luncheon is served." We went into the dining room where my parents were waiting and were seated. Our meals were served. Anna had done herself proud by cooking a stuffed beef tenderloin. It was delicious and easily earned compliments from everyone. Karen loved it. When Anna came close to her, she said, "Anna, would you consider giving me the recipe for this? I will cook for Brad after we marry and this is superb." She grinned. "I can tell that he loves it." I was already on my second helping.

Anna said, "Miss Karen, I will give you a number of Brad's favorites for a wedding present. I'm so happy to see you two together. It's truly lovely."

Karen stood up and gave her a hug. "Thank you, Anna. I enjoy making Brad happy."

We left shortly thereafter though my parents made us promise to return. Fortunately, they did not try to horn into the wedding plans. To myself, I added, "Not yet."

We pulled into the parking lot and I carried our cases to her room since it was closest. Nicki wasn't there and, as soon as I released the cases, Karen stepped into my arms and we kissed for what felt like an hour or two. It wasn't but it felt so good that time flew. We were lying on her bed holding each other fully clothed when Nicki came in the room without warning.

"Rats!" She said. "I hoped to catch you in a more compromising position than that."

Karen sat up and held out her left hand with her engagement ring sparkling in the overhead light. Nicki said, "He asked! That's great! Do you have to get married?"

Karen smiled. "Brad answered that question once and I will give the same, accurate answer. Yes, we love each other so much that we want to be together for life and want to be officially one as soon as possible."

I just smiled.

Nicki smiled, too. "I'm glad for both of you. I think you will both be happy. When is the date? Am I invited? Where will it be?"

Karen grinned. "Soon. Yes. At my home church." She looked at me. "Brad, would Uncle Billy be willing to host the reception?"

I smiled. "He would be hurt if you didn't ask. Even if he didn't want to do that, you asking him would force him to say 'yes.' He hopes you will ask him though. He wants to be part of the celebration."

She nodded at me.

The three of us left for supper and went by my dorm to drop off my case in my room. Charlie wasn't there. I also noted in my mind that Nicki hadn't mentioned him either. I decided to let it ride. Perhaps, their pan had flashed to use a poor cliche. I rejoined the girls and we went into the dining hall, took trays, and selected our food.

When we sat down, Karen prayed for our food, all our friends, and our impending union. As we started to eat, Nicki said, "I guess you might be wondering where Charlie is?"

I said slowly, "Yes."

She grinned. "Karen's not the only one. He's paying for a ring. He asked me to marry him and I've said, 'yes.' I just hope we're doing the right thing."

Karen looked at her pointedly. "Do 'you' have to get married?"

Nicki grinned. "No. I've been on the pill for years. It just works for us and we have enough experience to be able to make valid comparisons."

Karen said, "There's more to it than that."

Nicki said, "Yes, there is. Charlie is a good guy in all ways. We enjoy each other's company and have most of our values in line. Karen, we've talked this through more than you and Brad. We don't have as much heavy emotion but that's not our way. We have been around the block many times and our emotions are more under control."

Karen bristled. "Are you suggesting that Brad and I haven't thought through our relationship?"

"No, yes. Karen, it's different with us. You've told me before that I'm a something of a cold fish. Charlie's a great lay. We're compatible in bed and find each other interesting and compatible with our clothes on." She looked at Karen. "I hope you never go through some of my life up to this point. It hasn't all been fun but I have learned and learned to survive quite well. Charlie has been through the wars, too. We didn't arrive at our decision lightly any more than you and Brad did. It's just that we arrived at our decision from a very different path. I'm looking forward to marrying Charlie and us being good for each other."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.