Into It!, Book 2
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

They followed us out trailed by a grinning Marianne. Both of them were shocked at the interior and even more so when they heard the motor's purr. On the way back, my father said, "Your grandfather never painted that truck to make a point with us. I'm sorry he died before we caught on. However, you can paint it now, Brad. We get it." I nodded. My grandfather had told me that I would know when to paint it.

We returned to the den and talked for most of an hour. My parents took turns being shocked. Karen had an even more detailed knowledge of me than I had imagined. She made sure my parents heard everything including all about the story we wrote together. We finally left for our rooms to dress.

That evening, at Karen's insistence, I put on a nice shirt and pants rather than jeans. I entered her sitting room and was suddenly glad I listened to her. She looked fabulous. She was wearing that blue dress with no sweater and low heels. She had a single strand of pearls around her neck and my ring on her finger.

Marianne was younger and "better" dressed. She was looking at Karen, smiled and then said, "Karen, you need to help me dress. I look like a cheap, painted flower next to you." Karen looked at her closely for a moment and then slowly nodded. Marianne took her by the hand and led her to her room across from ours. They returned ten minutes later. Marianne's face was cleaner though she still had on some makeup and her clothing was simpler but more richly stated.

Karen took my breath away. She was wearing taller, white heels and a dress almost the same color as before though lighter. The dress was shorter and cut lower. Marianne shut the door behind them and whispered loudly, "Do you know that your fiancee rarely wears a bra?" I nodded slowly. Marianne added, "She doesn't need one. I wish I had her figure. Everyone will look at her and be interested even though they will know she's claimed. It's humbling."

Karen hugged her and I just smiled. Marianne was a hot looking girl in her own right. I said, "Let's go to the den and meet up." Marianne nodded. Karen nodded but looked nervous. I took her hand. "I'm here, love, and I will stay."

Karen relaxed and smiled. "You're into IT, Brad." I smiled back at her. We walked down to the den.

My parents were there. Dad was wearing a pair of jeans, sports shirt and a sports coat. My mom was wearing slacks, heels, and a pretty blouse. Her hair was tied back but not up. She looked sharp. Dad took one look at me and said, "No coat, Marie." Mom nodded as he doffed his coat. Once outside, He said, "Marianne, you'll have to rough it with your mother in the Benz. I want to ride with Brad and Karen." He paused. "If that's okay with you two?"

I nodded. Karen grinned. She said, "Works for me. I get to sit even closer to him."

Dad said, "I can tell from his face that Brad finds that a terrible situation." He smiled and opened the door for Karen. They got inside and I got in the driver's side. Dad grinned. "Did you bring your big club with you tonight? She is really good-looking and showing a lot of leg."

I said, "She used to play volleyball. She also has a mean right uppercut." We motored off to Uncle Billy's in the quiet splendor of grandfather's old truck. I'm sure he would have been happy tonight.

We were given my regular table. After they got over the shock, Uncle Billy, Carl, and Carol were shocked but happy to see their old friends. Mom said, "We owe all three of you an apology. We quit coming because we thought we wanted to enjoy our position. We goofed. Baldie and I are thrilled to be back. It's even better to find that our son is so well known and liked here. His grandparents would be proud and happy.

We had supper. Mom and Dad had wine while Karen and I stuck to lemonade. Marianne joined us in our drink of choice. The band came out and Mick went to the mic and said, "This is a happy event. Our occasional tenor sax player got himself engaged to Karen Monroe." There was heavy clapping. "Brad, bring her up here for your first dance as an engaged couple." I stood and pulled Karen up and into my arms. We danced to "Embraceable You." When the song finished, there was more applause. Mick said, "We'll play it again later with Brad taking some solo time. We added it today at lunch time."

The night progressed and Karen danced with Uncle Billy and Carl. My dad asked her to the floor and they danced, too. While I was on stage playing, Dad took my Mom's hand and led her out. Just before the next song, Mick held one finger up as he went to the microphone. "We have Brad's parents with us tonight. They are coming to the dance floor now. It will be a composition of Brad's. It's easy to dance to and has lovely parts for us to play. It's 'One More Time!' One, two, play."

Mom cried most of the way through it. She finally stood in front of the stand with my father behind her holding her in his arms. Karen and Marianne each joined her on either side holding her. We took a break and I left my horn up there for later. The three of them mobbed me!

Carol was bringing fresh drinks. She said, "Brad has played that many times but I think that was his best. I think he was playing for the three of you and for Grandma G."

I just nodded. We enjoyed the night there and I danced with all three. Karen was, of course, my favorite partner. We simply fit together. It was late when we left with Mom riding with us. She was amazed that my truck rode better and quieter than her Benz. I parked at the front door and came around to let them out.

Mom said, "Brad, we've done poorly for you though you seem to have managed well. Karen, you are fantastic. My husband and I fully support your wedding. We will be there and won't miss events in our family any more. The business will do fine."

By then, Dad and Marianne had joined us. "Dad said, "Marie, you have it right. I think we just needed impetus to get out from under our situation and enjoy life with our children and each other." He grabbed my mother and whirled her around.

I wondered happily for a moment, "Who are these people?" It was a joyous night though now mostly over. We went inside and to our bedrooms. Well, almost. Karen wouldn't release me and forced me into the sitting area of her suite.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.