Scarred - Cover

Scarred

Copyright© 2018 by MichaelT65

Chapter 9

It was almost morning. There wasn’t a place I hadn’t looked for Mario. For all I know he has left the area. My smartphone commenced ringing again. When I left the hospital last night, it didn’t take long for Helen to call. Since then there have been at least two dozen calls from her. Disregarding the device again, I tried to focus on the road. Something that was difficult to do after a sleepless night.

I was back in the centre of the village, parked outside Takis’ coffee shop. Fellow villagers were gathering, having a quick coffee before they get into there pickups to go hunting, something the male community do on a Sunday all over Cyprus.

Climbing out of the Jeep, I stretched my arms and legs out, twisting my body from left to right. It took a few seconds for the blood to circulate my body, making the pins and needles feeling go away. Entering Takis’ shop, at once there was silence from everyone. The mayor was standing there staring at me. His Wembley break-action shotgun over his arm, with the barrel open. Removing two shells from his cartridge holster, he loaded the weapon. Closing the barrel by forcing the cylinder up, he held the gun ready to fire.

“How much is he paying you to stop me?” I furiously said to him.

Pointing the gun behind me, he said. “If you have come with the intention to harm anyone from this village, you have to answer to this.”

Turning, behind me was one of Savvas’ bodyguards. He stood there with a chain half wrapped around his hand, ready to use it. Behind him half-dozen men with a variety of weapons. When I looked back at the Mayor, everyone had their guns ready, pointing at the intruders.

“You will find him at his father’s farm. Now get out of here, and end this never-ending story,” he told me in a dynamic voice. I walked out of the shop towards my vehicle. Savvas’ men turned to follow me, but the Mayor convinced them that it was for their best interest to stay. With over thirty guns pointing at them, they had no choice.

I came to the crossroad, exiting the village. If I go left, it will lead me to Savvas’ farm, where Mario is presumably hiding. To my right, takes me to Larnaca, away from all this mayhem. Checking my rear-view mirror, I could see a car in the distance. It was Helen. I spotted a small figure jump out of her car and start running towards me.

The sound of an engine caught my ear. Coming from Savvas’ farm, when I looked, a car was speeding towards me. Putting the Jeep into first gear, I floored the accelerator. The vehicle was getting closer. Before the revs went too high, I threw the gear into second. The gap between us was getting closer. It was a land rover. One of the old models, built like a tank. That’s when I knew, my Wrangler did not have a chance, in a collision. Pushing my foot down, I changed to third gear. Gripping the steering wheel tight, I felt my nails dig into my palms. I was doing over fifty miles per hour. Turning the steering wheel slightly before impact, there was a deafening crashing sound. Checking to see behind me, with my side-mirror. The mirror was hanging, dangling all smashed up. Slamming my foot on the brake peddle, the Wrangler skidded along the tarmac, stopping a distance, causing a white cloud from the tyres.

Jumping out of the Jeep, I looked to see what happened to the other vehicle. I detected it at once, about one-hundred metres away. The land rover was on its side. Climbing out of the back, an angry Mario. Cursing and kicking at the vehicle.

“You are going to pay for that you bastard!” The voice came from behind me.

Turning around as fast as I could, not more than ten metres away was Lucas. He was struggling to load a shell into the barrel of a shotgun. At once I sprinted towards him. A couple of metres from him, the gun was ready, and the barrel raised at me. No way I was going to make it. Suddenly something leapt from the side. Knocking the weapon away as it fired into the air. It was Charlie. He jumped onto Lucas.

With Lucas lying on his back, protecting his face. Charlie is standing over him. His front paws are pushing down on Lucas’ chest. The dog is barking at him, sliver dribbling onto his face.

“Charlie!” I called out. The dog instantly came to my side.

Lucas slowly got up his eyes glued on Charlie. I walked over to where the gun was lying. Picking up the weapon, I pointed it at Lucas as I walked towards him. His eyes moved from Charlie to me. “Why did you do it, Lucas? Why did you lie for Mario? I asked. I waited for a few seconds for an answer. I didn’t get one. Turning the gun around, with the wooden hand of the shotgun I smashed Lucas across the face, Knocking him over. Pulling the weapon back ready to strike him again.

“Michael stop!” Helen screamed running towards the scene.

Staring into Lucas’ eyes, I could see the fear in them. I looked over at Charlie, standing there like an arrow. Pointing towards Lucas, ready for the order to attack. Turning back to Lucas, I calmly said, “Either you say the truth or I’ll let the dog finish you.”

“Michael please, you’re taking it too far!” Helen called out.

“He bribed me to lie. Mario bribed me; he gave me money to lie. It was his fault that his brother drowned. Tony went after Mario, to get him out of the water. When only Mario appeared, you rushed into the sea to get Tony. You searched and searched for him. I rushed to the hotel to ask for help. Mario was too wasted to do anything. By the time I got back with the hotel staff, you were laying on the beach half-concious. When they had pulled Tony out of the sea, he was dead. The paramedics tried to revive him, but it was too late.” Dropping his head to his chest in shame, he commenced crying. “I am sorry for what happened to you. You are not to blame for any of this. You tried to save your friend!” he called out as I started making my way towards Helen.

“Shut up, you stupid asshole!” Mario screamed out at Lucas, as he approached him. Helen and I ignored him, as we climbed into the Wrangler. Charlie was jumping into the back of the Jeep. Mario carried on blubbering, “You can’t prove anything, do you hear me. You threatened him, made him say what he said.”

Tapping the gadget which Jimmy installed on the dashboard, I turned to Helen. “Let’s get out of here before I do something to shut him up,” I violently said.

“Is my dad at home?” I asked Helen.

“He was with Joe; they were driving around looking for you.”

“Text Joe, tell him to meet us at Takis’ shop.”

When I reached our destination, it seemed more people had gathered. Nowhere to park the Jeep, I saw a wide enough gap between two cars. Driving onto the pavement, parking a few metres away from the cafe. “Now we wait for the law. It won’t be long till they turn up. We can finish this once and for all.” Taking Helen’s hand in mine, I squeezed it.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.