Scarred - Cover

Scarred

Copyright© 2018 by MichaelT65

Chapter 7

I can’t remember when was the last time I had seen my father so happy. When we got home, his eyes watered up. Seeing the house cleaned up and freshly painted. Rolling the wheelchair to the garden porch, he sat there with his hand over his mouth. Helen was standing on his left while I was on his right side, my palm on his shoulder. Bringing his hand up to his arm, he squeezed my hand.

“Thank you, son,” he said, while his tears flooded his cheeks.

We sat at the kitchen table, Helen going through a plan my new love and I had put together. It was a design of the house, with ideas in which we had. How to modify the building for my father’s needs. He looked at the layout, while we explained to him. Looking up at us with admiration, whenever we took the turn in explaining to him something.

It was late in the afternoon when I decided to fire up the BBQ. By the time it took me to light up the charcoal, the house was full of family and friends who had come to welcome dad back home.

Uncle Sotiris took over the BBQ. “Go and attend to your guests and your father. Let someone else do this, who knows how to make the perfect pork chops.” Taking the tongs, he shoved me over. Everyone came, bringing food with them. If not food it was wine or beers. It was after midnight when everyone left. I was helping Helen, and my aunt put away the last of the plates when dad came into the kitchen.

Reaching for a picture of my mother, he has on the kitchen counter. He takes it and puts the photo frame to his chest. “We should do this more often. There hasn’t been much happiness in this house for years.” All three of us stopped what we were doing to comfort my father.

Once everyone was gone, I was helping dad to bed. The nurses at the hospital trained me on some basics of caring for someone who has disabilities. Eventually, dad would look after himself. Until he builds up strength on his upper-body, someone needs to be here. Before leaving the room, I lifted him up slightly to take his medicine.

Helen called out, “have you seen my overnight bag babes?”

Twitching his eyebrows, my father said, “Babes, that sounds interesting.”

Rolling my eyes, I answered back to Helen, “It’s in the wardrobe. There wasn’t anything in it when I put it there.”

“Oh, I need it for my things. I better make a move. I have to be at work by eight.”

I looked at my father before telling Helen. I wanted his approval, before asking Helen to stay for the night. I knew he wouldn’t mind. It was the respect of asking first. “It’s passed one at night young lady. You’re not going anywhere!” my father called out.

I woke up to find Helen was not next to me. Stretching my arms, I felt like turning and going back to sleep, but I needed to check on dad. Grasping my watch from the side cabinet, it showed nine in the morning. Giving it a few shakes before putting it on my wrist. A habit I have. The watch was a gift from my father for my sixteenth birthday. “Give it a few shakes before you put it on, an automatic watch sometimes needs to wind up if it’s been sitting a while”, he explained to me.

Dad was out on the veranda, enjoying his coffee. By his side Charlie lying there, not a care in the world. “Good morning dad.”

“Good morning son.”

“Helen must have got up early and gone to work. I’m going to make myself an omelette. You fancy one as well dad?” I cheerfully said, while filling up the coffee jug with water.

“I’m okay Michael. Helen and I had breakfast before she left. She was up before me, prepared everything. Even helped me out of bed. I like her son, reminds me of your mum,” he told me while wheeling his wheelchair into the kitchen. Charlie, strolling behind him.

“I like her too dad.”


Two months had passed since dad had left the hospital. It was a long road for him, to adapt to his new way of life. He would try to do something on his own, without success. Getting frustrated, he would give up on life. Helen and I would be by his side. Encouraging him every day, pushing the boundaries to his abilities. Taking that extra step, to his goal.

He began to work out on his upper body. Every morning, when I finished my morning run, we would work out together. Supporting him, pushing him to his next objective.

We had builders and carpenters in the house. Had to bring contractors from Larnaca. Everyone was busy in the village. “We have too much work, too busy to take on any new projects”, that is what they would say. Big Joe and I with a sledgehammer each, would do the hard labour work. The building crew did the rest. Installing wheelchair ramps and a newly fitted kitchen.

Every time I stepped out of the house. I would encounter hostility from people I had known most of my life. In the supermarket, at the petrol station, everywhere. Wherever I turned, men and women would look the other way. As long as there was peace, I was happy.

Dad had been in the house for almost two months. The only outdoor activity he had seen was in the back garden. It was late in the evening, Helen was working the night shift. Dad and I had just finished our meal, after washing up everything. He wanted to see some of his friends at the coffee shop. Have a chat with his friend Takis about the hunting season they had this year.

“It’s late dad, and I’m tired. Maybe tomorrow.” It was an excuse. I didn’t want to take dad out, just in case, people treated him the way they approached me.

“Come on Michael. we can do with some fresh air.” Rolling his wheelchair to his bedroom to get ready.

Bringing the Wrangler to a halt outside Takis’ coffee shop. I could sense everyone’s eyes pointed towards the Jeep. I was hoping dad did not notice anything. Lifting him out of the car seat, I placed him in his wheelchair. Grasping the wheelchair handles, I commenced pushing the wheelchair towards the coffee shop. “It’s ok son. I’ll take it from here.” Once I let go of the handles, he wheeled himself as fast as he could. Like a child rushing into a candy store.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.