Scarred
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2018 by MichaelT65

Next day, I spent the morning doing some odd jobs around the house. Rampaging through my things, a lot of memories came back, happy and sad. It was midday when my aunt came around, finding me in the garden taking care of the fruit trees. Living on a farm for seven years, you learn to enjoy the tranquillity.

“I see you have become handy with a hoe.” My aunt called out from the veranda.

“The trees needed some watering from this heat,” I called back.

Putting her hand up to block the sun from blinding her. “It’s more than watering you’ve done. Come on get changed we’ll go and see your dad.”

When we got to the hospital yesterday, we didn’t get the chance to talk to him as he was asleep. The nurse on duty told us that he was in deep thought all day.

When we got to the hospital, he was sitting up having some jelly with ice cream. When he saw us walk into the ward his face lit up. He wouldn’t stop talking. He wanted to know everything I did when I was away. He sat there listening closely. You could see on his face how proud he was of my achievements. When the doctor made her round, that is Helen. He wanted to introduce me to her. No one said anything until Helen had left the ward, then dear aunty spilt the beans.

“Oh, don’t worry dear brother, they already know each other,” aunty said as quickly as possible. Just in case someone else told him first.

“We are just friends.” I attacked back.

“It didn’t look like that last night. The way she kissed you,” she said at the same time fixing the pillow for dad to be more comfortable.

Pulling himself up to sit straighter, he said to me, “That didn’t take you long.”

“I said the same thing, Costa,” my aunt said while simpering at me.

The next few weeks went by quickly. I visited my father twice a day. We would sit and converse for hours. The years that we lost. We were making up for now. The doctors told us, it would be more likely that he will spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. It didn’t put him down. He was happy I was there, and I was well.

Helen and I were getting closer, getting to know each other better. I saw her on a daily basis at the hospital. Being together when we had the chance after she finished work. On her day off we drove to Paphos, to check on my vineyards. Everyone loved her in Stelio’s family.

Life was good. It was almost a month since I went to Avgorou. I hadn’t seen Savvas in that time. I saw his son Mario on a few occasions. He tried to provoke me every time. But I just turned and walked away, ignoring him. My concern was my father. For him to get better and come home. Until one Friday night.

I had a long day at the hospital. My father was going to be released to come home on Monday. We spent all morning seeing his doctors, to give him the go-ahead for Monday. I had dinner at Helen’s before coming back to the village. It was almost midnight when I got home.

Jumping in the shower, I stood there letting the cooling water run over me. Suddenly the doorbell rang. Charlie started barking outside the bathroom door, as the doorbell kept ringing. Wrapping a towel around my waist, I rushed to the door to see who it was. Standing there was uncle Sotiris with a teenager. I hadn’t seen my cousin George, for the entire month I was here,, and I was sure this wasn’t him.

“Uncle, everything ok?”

“This is George’s best friend, Peter. He came to tell me George is at the bar and he’s drunk. Mario and some others are trying to make him drive them to Ayia Napa. I don’t know what to do Michael. He won’t listen.” My uncle was shaking with worry.

“Go home, leave it to me,” I said to my uncle. Turning to the teenager, I ordered him. “Peter go to the bar, try and stall him for me.”

“OK.” Running to get into his car.

Throwing on a pair of jeans and a T-shirt, I ran out the house, pulling the door shut behind me. Slamming my foot on the accelerator, I was outside the bar within minutes. Bringing the Wrangler to a halt, Causing a white cloud from the tyre skid.

The lighting in the bar was low, making it difficult to spot anyone. Scanning the tables for George or Peter. I located Peter, next to him a young man. It was George, I recognised him at once. He looked the same as I remembered him. I sat at the bar, looking at my cousin from the reflection on the large mirror opposite me. At that moment the main door to the bar opened. Four guys walked in, sitting a few tables away from my cousin. That is when I notice Mario and Lucas, along with two others. “Eight of them against one, odds not too good,” I whispered.

The barman was a big man. He walked over to me, wiping the bar in front of me. “What can I get you.” His voice was deep. It matched his massive body.

“Give me a shot of your best whisky.”

“Any particular brand?”

“What would your choice be?”

Pulling out two whisky glasses from under the counter. The barman poured two doubles. “How long has it been since you had a drink?” the barman asked.

“Seven years.”

Nodding his head, he picked up one of the whisky glasses while I took the other. “To our health,” he said. We both tapped our drinks, at the same time tossing back the spirit.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.