Scarred - Cover

Scarred

Copyright© 2018 by MichaelT65

Chapter 1

Radio FM: “It’s the first Saturday of August, and the temperature will be soaring to its highest today, for all you holiday makers. 40 Celsius in Nicosia, 37 Celsius in Limassol, 35 Celsius in Larnaca and 34 Celsius in Paphos,” the weatherman announced on the radio.

“It looks like it’s going to be another hot day Charlie,” I said to my four-legged companion. “Come on boy let’s go and check the vineyard. This time next month we’ll be harvesting the grapes.”

Charlie is my faithful dog. He’s an American Boxer. He is three years old, that is twenty-one in doggy years. I’ve had him since he was a puppy, trained him myself to be obedient, and that he is.

With my hoe on my shoulder, I commenced crossing the 5-acre field to the other side of the plot. My faithful friend is strolling next to me keeping the same pace as me. Reaching the end of the land, I began shaping the soil and removing any weeds around the vine stems. One hour later the first row of vines is finished. With seven more rows to go, I start feeling the heat even though it’s only seven in the morning. Pulling my T-shirt off, at once I sense the warmth on my scars which cover my back.

Looking over at Charlie his tongue is hanging out to one side of his mouth. “Charlie go and sit on the veranda, in the shade?” He just sat there looking at me with his head slightly slanted to one side. With my voice raised, I ordered him this time. “Now boy in the shade!” Quickly turning he leapt towards the house. After having a quick drink of water from his water pan, he lied down, with his chin on his paws staring straight at me.

I was near the end of the third row of vines when Charlie’s barking got my attention. Looking up, I felt the sweat run down my face. Raising my arm, I wiped the wetness from my forehead. My eyes sting from the sweat as I squint to see who is driving down the dirt road towards the house. It was a silver Pajero Intercooler. It was uncle Stelios. Checking my watch, it wasn’t even nine. “He never comes this early. Something is wrong,” I say to myself.

Stelios is not my uncle. I call him that due to respect. He had known my father since 1974 when Turkey invaded Cyprus occupying forty percent of the island. They fought in the war together, ever since then, Stelios has been a very close friend of the family.

Dropping my hoe next to the stem I was working around, I started making my way to the vehicle whilst wiping my hands on my jeans to get rid of any excess soil.

Once the Pajero came to a halt, Stelios climbed out of the vehicle with a recreational bone in his hand. Charlie sprang up, running circles around him, jumping for the bone while Stelios held it up high. Once Charlie was given the bone, he rushed with it to where he was earlier. Holding it down with both of his paws, he began licking it and chewing the ends.

“You’re spoiling him you know!” I called out.

With my hand extended for a handshake, he took my hand in a vice grip. Feeling the clutch in my hand, I squeezed as hard as I could, overpowering the big man. Releasing the pressure after a while, letting him over-power me.

“I see you’ve been working out Michael?” he said with a smile on his face.

“It’s been hard work, sustaining my father’s land.” Gesturing towards the field behind me, with my hand.

“I remember when your father purchased this plot of land, fifteen years ago. The ground was as solid as a rock. Hadn’t been ploughed for years, on top of that it was full of rocks. In seven years you have managed to create a paradise.” Looking around him, at the vineyard and the small one-bedroom house I constructed out of wood.

“Uncle, you haven’t come to praise me for what I have accomplished.” I looked at him in the eyes. “What have you come to tell me? What has happened?

“It’s your father, Michael. He’s at Larnaca General Hospital. He’s had a stroke. Paralyzed from the waist down. The doctors said it was a blood clot in his brain stem.”

I felt my eyes go moist as the word slowly left my lips, “When did this happen?”

Rubbing his chin, he carried on telling me what he knew, “Your aunt Androulla called last night. She told us it happened three days ago. She said he’s stable now, but he can’t move his legs.”

Feeling something on the side of me, I looked down to see Charlie standing there next to me. Kneeling down to his height, I started to stroke his head. Staring into space, remembering memories of my past.

“Are you ok Michael?” Stelios said, with a concerned look on his voice.

Shaking my head, as I came out of my trance. “I need to go home. I have to be there for dad. He’ll need me.” Getting up, I commenced making my way to the garage.

“Are you sure? Will it be safe for you to go back? Remember what they did to you. How much they hurt you seven years ago.”

We both walked side by side as we spoke. “I have to face my past uncle. I was eighteen then, now I am older and wiser.”

“That you are, but still it will be dangerous for you to go back.”

“You have been like my father these few years. Teaching me about life, you were my mentor. But I have to go home. My father needs me.”

His eyes became moist. “You can use Athina’s car for a few days. She doesn’t need it this weekend.” He tried to change the subject. It was getting too emotional for him.

Athina is Uncle Stelios’ wife. A retired nurse. If it weren’t for her when I arrived all bloody and bruised, I would have been dead now. For a month, she attended to my wounds. Changing the bandages twice a day. Making sure I did not get infected. If my injuries did not cause my death, my morale would have driven me insane. For what I saw at eighteen, no teenager should witness in his lifetime. But Athina and Stelios were by my side while I healed.

Pulling the metal door open to the garage, revealing a covered vehicle. The green canvas covered in brown dust.

“Don’t tell me. You’ve still got that Jeep. I thought you wanted to get rid of it.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.