Tumbleweed
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2015 by woodmanone

Jake was at the stable at 6 AM. He saddled his horse and going to the locked tack room got two additional pistols and a three of boxes of 45 caliber shells to take with him. Two of the weapons had the 7 ½ barrel and one was in the five inch style. The shorter pistol and one of the longer ones were blued and the other 7 ½ was nickel.

He packed the extra pistols in his saddlebags. Gonna need the extras cause De La Vega and maybe some of his men will want to shoot the Colts, he thought. And no one but me shoots my gun. Shortly Senor De La Vega joined Jake and they rode out of El Paso by 6:30 on a sunny morning.

"We will take the road along the Rio Grande and stay on the American side," De La Vega told Jake as they rode. "The river makes a bend and it would be a shorter trip if we cut across through Mexico, but we will take the river road on the American side."

"Why ride the long way around Senor?"

"There are banditos all along northern Mexico near the borders. There is no need to face them to save a few miles."

"I understand," Jake replied. "I ran into a few on my way to El Paso."

The land they rode through was mostly level but with a slope up from the Rio Grande. Close to the river it was lush with tall reeds at the water's edge and cottonwood trees lining the bank, but higher up the grade it was desert like with mesquite, palo verde, and several types of cactus. The areas between the cottonwoods were covered in a coarse grass which made it good land for grazing stock.

It was early summer and the west Texas heat was still a month or so away. It was pleasant riding near the Rio Grande but later in the year the sun would begin to bake the desert like areas on each side of the river. They crossed the river and as they rode away from the life giving water, the trail began to wind through some small rises and hills. The vegetation had abruptly changed to the desert plants.

At the two hour mark Jake asked, "When will we get to your estancia?"

"We have been on my land for the last 20 minutes," De La Vega answered. "You can see my hacienda from that rise," he added and turned his horse off the trail and toward the small hill. Stopping at the crest of the rise he pointed. "There is the hacienda. We'll be there in within an hour Senor Hightower."

On the horizon Jake could barely see a bump that must be the ranch house. "That's got to be another 10 miles or so," he said. "How big is your estancia?"

"It runs along the Rio Grande and eastward for many miles," De La Vega replied. "I have title to 4100 hectares; that's about ten thousand of your acres." Pointing to a large green lush area surrounding the house, De La Vega explained, "The hacienda was built over a deep water spring called Aqua de Dios. That means..."

"Water from God," Jake translated.

Pointing to the abundant green areas, De La Vega explained, "We enclosed the spring with a wall and use a bucket to get water for the hacienda, much like a well. The runoff from the spring is diverted into underground channels that are used to irrigate the gardens. We grow many things and only buy supplies such as flour, grain, and other staples from the mercantile."

The men sat and looked over the land for a few minutes, giving their horses a breather. De La Vega led the way down the far side of the hill back to the trail. Three men rode from behind another hill and blocked the trail so De La Vega and Jake had to pull up.

Jake had a habit of riding with his right hand close to his pistol. Before stopping his horse, he slipped the safety strap loose to free his weapon. Then he sat with his right hand on his thigh, just in front of his holstered Colt.

"We want our money De La Vega," one of the men yelled across the 30 feet that separated the two groups. He was speaking Spanish but Jake understood him. Jake had learned "Mex", as they called it in Texas, over the three years he'd done business in east Texas.

"I owe you nothing Juan," De La Vega replied. "Nor you Neto and Carlos."

"We're due our wages for last month."

"The money you got from the cattle you stole was more than your wages. Ten head wasn't it? Consider yourselves fortunate that I did not have you jailed." De La Vega slowly moved his hand toward his pistol.

"They hang rustlers in East Texas," Jake offered. "Don't reckon it's much different around here."

"This is none of you business Senor," Juan said. "It would be best if you stayed out of it."

"You made it my business when you blocked my trail," Jake replied.

"They also hang rustlers in this country Senor Hightower," De La Vega said. He spit toward the three men. "But you three weren't worth the trouble at the time. Perhaps I should reconsider."

Juan screamed his anger and pulled a pistol. Before he got the weapon clear of the holster, Jake's Colt barked and the man fell from his horse holding his shoulder. Neto wasn't as lucky; he went down as Jake stopped him as he tried to bring his rifle to bear. The man was dead before he hit the ground. Carlos raised his hands into the air.

"Madre Dios," he yelled as De La Vega pointed his pistol at Carlos. "Don't kill me."

"Get your friends and get off my land," De La Vega ordered.

Carlos dismounted, helped Juan back onto his horse and draped Neto across his saddle. He rode away leading the other two horses and glancing over his shoulder to make sure De La Vega and the gringo didn't shoot him in the back.

Jake waited until Carlos was over a hundred yards away before reloading his Colt. "Reckon we can go see your horses now Senor De La Vega and I'll give you a demonstration of the Colt."

"I believe you should call me Enrique after our little adventure together and I shall call you Jake." De La Vega smiled and added, "And I've already seen what your fine pistol can do. You are very fast."

"Hit that fellar Juan just where I wanted to," Jake said. "But I've got to admit the second man hurried me a mite; didn't have time to place my shot."

"That speed must have come in handy in face offs while you were Deputy Sheriff," Enrique remarked.

Jake shook his head. "Truth is most times men shoot from behind cover or try to get around behind you. That stuff about showdowns at high noon is hogwash. The dime novels make up those stories to sell magazines. Don't usually happen that way."

"Never the less, you are very skilled Jake," Enrique replied.

It was just over an hour later that the two men pulled their horses to a stop in front of the hacienda. Before either man could dismount a groom came to take the mounts. Enrique motioned Jake through the gate leading into the house.

"Come, we will have something to eat and then I will show you the horses I have for sale. Take care of the horses please Juanito," Enrique asked.

Jake followed his host through a court yard with a garden of flowers to the rear section of the house. The hacienda surrounded the court yard on three sides. The thick adobe walls of the building gave the interior court yard cool relief from the very warm spring weather. In the corner, next to the rear wall, there was a well with built up rock sides and a bucket hanging over the opening.

As Enrique and Jake entered the house, a young man brought a wash bowl, a pitcher of water, and two towels so that Jake and Enrique could clean the trail dust off their face and hands. Washed and refreshed the men entered a large dining room. The same young man and a young woman served the food when the men sat at the huge dining room table. After the meal, Jake showed Enrique the three pistols he'd brought with him.

"I think I would like the long barrel one with the nickel finish," Enrique said.

"That pistol is $50," Jake said. "I will telegraph your order as soon as I get back to El Paso."

"Perhaps the type of mount you're looking for will be here Jake." Enrique asked as they walked to the corrals that joined the stables. There were ten horses in the fenced area.

Jake perched on the top rail of one of the corrals and looked over the horses for sale. He listened as Enrique talked about each of the animals; praising their strengths and being honest about any short comings. After several minutes, Jake had sort of decided to look closer at two of the horses. He was sure they were good animals but they really didn't reach out and grab him. Hell, I'm looking for a good saddle horse not a thoroughbred, he thought.

A big horse charged out of the stable door with a groom following him and losing ground. "Stop him," the stable hand yelled as he tried to grab a rope trailing from the horse's halter. Jake jumped off the rail and stepped in front of the charging horse, catching the lead rope. The stallion reared up on his hind legs and got ready to attack this latest obstacle to his running.

"Easy, easy," Jake said in a low soothing voice. Talking softly, he was able to walk a step at a time up to the horse's head. He slowly held out his hand so the animal could get his scent. The animal tossed its head a couple of times and then extended his nose to smell the human that had stopped his getaway. Jake continued to talk and was able to stroke the horse's nose, forehead and scratch its ears. As he calmed the animal he took a closer look at this whirling dervish.

The horse's coat was a deep black, gleaming in the sun. Its mane and tail were thick and full; flowing and longer than the average horse. The animal was about 16 hands at the shoulder and was strongly built and compact. Its neck was long and broad, the chest was massive and the hindquarters were strong. The big black had an air of elegance as if the hoopla surrounding him were nothing.

"Bet you could run all day and most of the night," Jake said in admiration as he stroked the horse's neck.

The stable hand finally struggled up to Jake and the horse. "Diablo negro," the man said in anger and reached for the lead rope. "Wait until I get you back in the stall."

Jake pushed the hand away and glared at the groom. "You're not a black devil are you fellar," he said to the horse and led him to the corral.

"Enrique, pardon me for intruding but I don't believe this horse should be punished for just being a horse," Jake said. Pointing to some marks across the animal's rump he continued, "Those are whip marks; the horse was just trying to get away from a bad situation."

"Diego, have you been whipping this horse?" Enrique asked the groom in an angry tone.

"Patron, it was necessary. The animal is very head strong and must be made to do as he is ordered." There was no apology in the man's voice.

"I've warned you before Diego; I do not want my horses to be beaten while you are training them."

"I have broken many horses Senor. I know my job and will do it as I see fit."

"Then do your job on another estancia Diego. You are dismissed," Enrique said with a grim smile. "I will be back at the hacienda shortly to pay what you are owed. You can pack your things while you wait for me."

Diego had a look disbelief on his face that plainly asked how dare anyone tell him how to do his work? He stomped off toward the bunk house; muttering what Jake was sure wasn't kind things about the Patron.

"I'm sorry Enrique," Jake offered. "Didn't mean to cause a problem."

"No, no Jake. This has been coming for a while. Diego and I disagree about horses. He believes you must break an animal but I think you must train them; almost like children." Enrique smiled. "And since I am El Jefe, my way is the way it will be done."

"This is a beautiful animal," Jake said as he tied the lead rope to the top rail of the corral.

"Yes he is. He is an Andalusian pure bred. His sire and dame were brought to this country from Spain. I bought him in California last year." Shaking his head Enrique continued, "I may have wasted my money though. He is very high spirited and hard to train."

Jake was still stroking the big black horse. He carefully ran his hand over the horse's chest, withers, and over the rump. Jake also looked at the legs and hoofs. This is a strong animal, he thought.

"Come Jake, I will show you some other horses I have for sale," Enrique said and started to walk away from the corral.

"I've found the animal I want Senor," Jake replied. He placed his hand on the Andalusia's neck and leaned against its shoulder. The horse nickered and lean back into Jake. "That is if I can afford him," Jake added.

"You are a good judge of horse flesh Jake. If you can train him he will be an excellent mount." Enrique looked thoughtful for a minute. "I am in your debt so I will make you a present of the Andalusia."

"Thank you but no Enrique. I could not accept. This horse has to be worth $600 or more."

Thinking for several seconds, Enrique smiled. "As your country men would say, I'll tell you what I'm going to do." Jake smiled at the salesman's comment. "I will take your horse in trade for the Black. In addition, I will take one of those fine pistols of yours and $200. You may pay the $200 at your connivance."

Jake started to object but just then the horse pushed its head into Jake's hands, wanting him to continue scratching its forehead. Whispering into the big black's ears, Jake asked, "You going to let me train you big fella?"

"I'll take your generous offer Enrique," Jake said and extended his hand to shake on the deal. "And gracias."

"Perhaps you should stay here at the estancia for a few days so that you two can get to know each other," Enrique suggested pointing at the horse and Jake.

Jake thought for a minute as he stroked the horse's neck. "I think that is a good idea. Thank you for your hospitality."


"So you are leaving us this morning," Enrique said as Jake saddle the Andalusia.

The afternoon that he arrived and for the next two days, Jake had been with his horse almost constantly. He used the gentling tactics he'd learned as a boy to gain the trust of the big black. Jake slowly introduced his horse to a saddle and a bit and got the animal used to the weight and feel of the saddle on his back. He finally mounted and rode the horse on the third evening of training; first around the corral and then for a short distance from the hacienda.

"Yep, it's time for me and Viajero to head back to El Paso," Jack answered.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.