The Slipper - Cover

The Slipper

Copyright© 2015 by Just Anybody

Chapter 8

Jeff rode out to Swindon on Tuesday morning, appearing promptly at nine as previously arranged. Once again, he was escorted into the conference room where he found Dr. and Mrs. Atterbury and Randy already waiting for him.

Dr. Atterbury began, "I brought this proposal home with me after you departed last week to share the idea and the proposal details with my wife. She has been my partner in life as well as this business, and I believe it appropriate to include her in all discussions from this point onward. I'd like to begin by saying that I am not entirely opposed to what you have offered, although I am hesitant to actually relinquish what has taken us a lifetime to build."

"Dr. Atterbury, Mrs. Atterbury, I can very honestly say that I understand that emotion, not quite from the same perspective, but none the less, equally meaningful. I had to walk away from something that I cared very deeply about, walk away when I could have remained. But I chose to do the harder thing and walk away because it was best for all concerned. I suffered from the agony of that for more than a year until Randy, in his infinite wisdom, found a way to get me to see it in a different light. My leaving that dying girl benefited everyone, her parents, her sisters, me and most of all her. Randy was correct. I had no reason to mourn, but every reason in the world to celebrate her life and our relationship. I am no medical specialist, sir, but I do know how devastating high blood pressure can be on a person's heart. Stepping away now, while you are still healthy and robust and able to enjoy life makes so much more sense instead of waiting until you are hospitalized and, sadly, have become a burden on all whom you love."

The room was silent, so silent in fact that Jeff could hear the sounds of the others breathing. Finally, Randy spoke. "He makes a lot of sense, Dad, and what he says about his own challenge was very true. He could not find a way to set himself free from that girl, and he was dragging himself down because of it. If I set him free of that burden, it is probably one of the nicer things I have ever done for anyone, and I guess I should feel really proud of myself. The challenge now, though, is you, and us, and this company. Jeff has done a terrific job of digging out all of the facts, all of the details of our business, and even of our personal lives. Normally that would frighten most people, me included, but Jeff has not twisted any data or misused it to his advantage. Everything that I read in these documents is the dead on truth, and God knows, you do have high blood pressure."

Dr. Atterbury stood up and walked to where Jeff was sitting. He extended his hand and shook it firmly. "The most amazing thing, to me anyway, is that I can't even argue with his numbers. I know that I should hold out for more, but I can't begin to think of a justification to do so. Young man, I believe we will accept your offer. I am sure that there are a hundred other details to work out, but I have confidence in our ability to do that, too. Congratulations."

Mrs. Atterbury finally spoke up. "I do have one question if you have time; however it is not about this meeting. I'd like to know more about the girl you were with at the opera."

Randy looked at his mom and replied, "I think I can answer that. She is the sister of the girl that he left behind."

"Somehow I sense that there is far more to this story than we have been told, but I also sense that it is not necessary for us to know," his father replied, essentially to all in the room.

"No," Randy continued, "we don't need to know it, but that picture says an awfully lot about the character of my roommate. Jeff, I am very proud of you."

"Thank you Randy, that means a lot. Mrs. Atterbury, Jennifer is the younger sister of the girl that I had to leave behind. She is studying at Cambridge and I just happened to call on her shortly after I arrived in London. She is a very warm and wonderful person, and I am very privileged to know her."

Dr. Atterbury brought the subject back to the project. "Jeff, are there some documents that we should be signing? And what is the next step? How do we begin this transformation?"

Jeff produced a formal letter of agreement, documenting the intent to transfer ownership of the company to Dickinson Distributing Co. and after obtaining the required signatures, shook hands with the Atterburys. He explained that he would arrange for some finance people to fly over next week to go through all the necessary forms and papers, and he proposed that the sale be announced in a joint meeting, sometime before the financial people arrive. Until them, he suggested than no word of this be transmitted to anyone.

They shook hands again, and Randy gave Jeff a congratulatory slap on the back. "Never in a million years would I have ever imagined a day like this. Good job, Buddy, good job!"

Jeff was all smiles. "I have been working on this for a year, without knowing the name of the company or the personnel involved. I almost fell over when I learned it was your dad's company."

"Well, let me tell you about almost falling over. When I saw the Sunday paper, my mouth dropped open about a foot. I couldn't believe it. Does she have another sister?"

"Yes, but she is still in high school. A little young for you, I think. But that does give me an idea. What are you doing this Saturday afternoon? You need to free up the day, and pick me up at the Hotel Felix in Cambridge Saturday mid morning. Have I got a day for you!"

They adjourned to a restaurant in Swindon for a celebratory lunch, and Jeff raised his glass to thank them for their cooperation and to wish the new venture good fortune. He was back in his hotel room in London by mid afternoon and immediately placed a call to Richard.

"Good morning to you sir," he began. "Am I still in your good graces or has Mrs. Dickinson put out a contract for my imminent demise?"

Richard laughed, "Oh you are wise to the ways of women, indeed you are. Yes, you are still in our good graces, and there is not a contract issued." He was chuckling. "But you can understand our concern."

"Yes sir I can. We shared the same concern, as I said, but I am very glad that you both understand. Now, to the purpose of my call."

"How did your meeting go this morning?"

"It went much better than I expected. You are now the proud owner of a British manufacturing firm. They have accepted out offer without change to any of the terms that I proposed."

"They didn't bicker about anything?"

"No sir. It's a bit complicated to explain over the phone, but Randy, his son and my old roommate, made a pretty impassioned speech about Sharon and me. It came out of the blue. I was not expecting it, but it was pretty much the thing that convinced them of the integrity of the numbers and my sincerity to be honest with them."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.