Union Rebelling - Cover

Union Rebelling

Copyright© 2015 by Reluctant_Sir

Chapter 8

Kat was early for her 0800 6th Day meeting with Minerva. When she had returned to her apartment the previous afternoon, she had a message telling her to report to the Sector Commanding Officer at 0800 the next morning. The tone of the report was very official in a way that was hard to pin down. Her previous communications from Minerva had always had a more casual tone, like that of an advisor. This was definitely an official Sector CO to junior Agent message.

Kat couldn't help but grin. After a year, she was finally an Agent!

Waiting outside Minerva's office, that initial elation had given way to nervousness. She really didn't know what to expect. She was, she supposed, about to receive an assignment. She could be sent anywhere in Union space, to work on any project that the Agency though was appropriate. The standard procedure for new Agents was to pair them up with a senior Agent for on-the-job training. To get the new person used to working in the field, handling issues that arose and dealing with the Agency bureaucracy.

That she had already been in the field, solo-ing on a mission that, by all rights, should have been assigned to a working Agent and not a student, didn't matter now. That had been a special circumstance and though she had done well, now she was back in the flow again.

When her chrono showed 0759, she pressed the call button and spoke her name into the microphone. Minerva's voice came back immediately, giving her permission to enter.

The inside of Minerva's office had not changed in the year that Kat had been at the Citadel. Minerva sat behind a very elegant, polished wood desk backed by a matching credenza. There were a few knick-knacks, a couple of souvenirs along with some homey touches that made it seem more of a home office than it did a Sector Commanding Officer's domain.

Kat sat in the chair to the desk's front after greeting Minerva, and waited.

Minerva was reviewing a file, presumably Kat's, and she spoke without looking up. "You did very well, all told. Your scores in Electronics, Design Theory, History and Strategic Planning were all top notch and your instructors have noted that you should be considered for advanced training. Your scores in Applied Mathematics, History, Diplomacy and Psychology were fair, but you were not recommended for advanced placement in those subjects. Astrogation was your weakest subject, probably because of your apathy for Applied Mathematics, and your instructor..." Minerva paused, and quirked a lip. "Your instructor suggested that you might not be qualified to pilot a ground car, much less a ship in space. He has recommended that, should you be needed to assume a role that requires any spatial navigation, that you receive intensive remedial training first."

Minerva set the reader down, and stared at Kat.

Kat knew she had not done well in Astrogation. She just could not wrap her head around moving in four dimensions at the same time. She wasn't sure why she had a mental block, but she had struggled with the subject all year long. She had passed her final, it was by a margin so slim that she still wasn't sure if she had actually passed or if the instructor had given her a passing mark just to get her out of his classroom!

"Well, all things considered, you have graduated. Astrogation is not a primary concern for now. You did receive a couple out outstanding mentions in your training file. Your hand-to-hand combat skills have been recognized and the head instructor asked that you be assigned as an instructor when you are in system. Your weapons instructor has also asked for you to work with his department on training recruits in knife work. Specifically, Close Combat and Silent techniques."

Kat felt a glow of pride. It meant a lot to her for the two instructors she respected the most to have spoken so highly of her. The thought of teaching held a certain appeal, but after a year of relative inactivity, minus the trip to the Delta sector, of course, had her itching to do something.

"The standard protocol is to assign a new Agent to shadow and established Agent for a period. Usually a year, though that depends on the Agents involved and the missions to which they are assigned." Minerva paused, sure that Kat was going to jump in. When Kat remained silent, she nodded and continued. "You cannot be assigned to work with ... your fiancé, for several reasons, not least of them that he is your fiancé. He was also your mentor at the Citadel, and this rotation is supposed to train you in field procedures. It is also supposed to get you used to working outside your comfort zone. Assigning you to work with a mentor that you have known through your training would not provide the kind of data we need to evaluate your performance."

"With all of that in mind, and in considering the open cases and the needs of the Agency, you are being assigned to the Beta Sector Headquarters. All trainees get a two week break on graduation, and you are no exception. You are scheduled to depart in 15 days and you will get further assignments from the Sector Commander when you arrive."

Kat knew that this was a possibility. She knew that she would be assigned at the needs of the Agency, but she was still disappointed. She had hoped for an assignment that would put her not too far from Pan, somewhere that she could at least talk to him regularly. She missed him more than she thought possible and he had only been gone a few weeks. Now she wasn't sure when she would see him again.

Kat sat up straight, kept her face calm and nodded at Minerva. "What do I need to do before I leave?"

Minerva studied her newest Agent for a minute, then nodded back.

"Your out-processing is a matter of minutes. Your apartment will, of course, remain yours until you are married and then you can request a larger, joint quarters allocation. In any case, you will have the same privileges any agent gets, and will retain a space here for your use when you are at headquarters. You will need to clear up any persona issues, settle any bills and that kind of thing, before you leave. You also need to fill out the forms to designate emergency contacts, insurance and the like. You can do that this morning, and then you are free until you have to report for travel. A message will be sent with details on your travel arrangements.'

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.