Malan Mothers - Cover

Malan Mothers

Copyright© 2015 by Gordon Johnson

Chapter 5

He returned to the kitchen to report to Enid. He hoped his red face had calmed down. He entered and she looked at him querulously.

"Yes, she said she would come."

"And?"

"What do you mean, 'And?'"

"Did you kiss her goodnight?"

"Yes." He said no more, but Enid was insistent.

"Properly?"

"Jeannette insisted. I tried to just do a gentle goodnight kiss, but she grabbed my head. God! I didn't mean to ... I just ... Sorry, Enid. I am messed up."

"Fine."

"What? How do you mean?"

"I wanted you to experience a proper kiss with her. Did you enjoy it?"

"Yes, but..."

"That's fine. I wanted it that way."

"Enid, will you tell me what is going on? I am confused."

"Jeannette and her Tom never had a baby. She regrets that. Blames herself, but I get the impression that her man was firing blanks and hated to admit it. She needs another chance, and I am going to volunteer you, my man."

"I am not with you, Enid. Volunteer me for what, and what did you mean about another chance?"

"She wants a baby of her own, Tom. A baby needs to have a father. You will be that father, I have decided."

"Well, that is fine as an idea, but how can we help her? I am happy to act as a father figure. What else can we do for her?"

"Tom, let's cut to the quick. I want you to fuck a baby into her."

"Eh?" He was gobsmacked. "But you are my wife. I can't go playing around with other women: I love you too much to harm you in any way!"

"I know that, darling. That is why I am happy to have you be the inseminator for Jeannette."

"You really mean that, Enid? You want me to give her a baby? Have sex with her?"

"Yes, Tom. She has had unfortunate things in her life, and none of the good things. I have a lovely daughter, and I am pregnant again. I want Jeannette to have that same good experience, darling."

"I am not too sure about this, love. It makes me uneasy."

"At least think about it, love. I have made no promises to Jeannette; just a hint so far."

"Oh, God! You have suggested it to her?"

"Only a tiny hint, you silly man. Why don't you see how you get on with her? You have her with you for part of today. Get to know her, and her body, a bit better."

"It is tempting, but feels wrong. I feel I will be betraying you if I do that."

"You can't be betraying me if I am behind you, pushing!"

"This is not just because you are pregnant, my love?"

"No. I get a feeling that she is meant to be here. What comes of that, is for the future."


He was able to get an appointment with the Governor just before lunch. He explained he would be bringing a backer with him. Governor Kempe was startled.

"A backer? A backer for what, Tom?"

"Wait until we get to the meeting, sir. All will be explained."

Jeannette spent some time during the morning speaking with her bank on Earth, ensuring that she could have her assets transferred to the Bank of Rehome at short notice. Once she had that confirmation, she felt more content with the forthcoming meeting.

The Colony Administration offices were in an imposing building near the centre of Metropolis. Tom explained that they were apparently the administrative centre of the city when the aliens constructed it, and the humans saw sense in simply adapting the buildings for their own needs.

They entered the front door and were greeted by a reception desk staffed by several young ladies. They acted as formal escorts, taking visitors to the correct official for their needs. In between such duties, they entered new data for the Colony databases. Tom announced their names and that they were here for a meeting with the Governor. They were taken through to an imposing office, where Bob Kempe was waiting.

"Tom! Welcome to my little fiefdom. And who is this gorgeous lady you have with you? I have not met her: I would have recognised such beauty."

Tom turned to Jeannette. "There speaks a man with four wives: trained to be nice to women." Facing back to Bob Kempe, he announced, "Governor, allow me to introduce you to Mrs Jeannette Reagan. She was the surrogate mother of the first Malan to be born on Earth. Jeannette, this is Bob Kempe, Governor of Rehome Colony."

Jeannette curtsied to the Governor. "Pleased to meet you, Governor. I have only recently arrived in the Colony, so please forgive me if I make any faux pas here."

"Delighted to meet you, Jeannette. You are clearly educated. That is always welcomed in the Colony. I do hope you will make your stay permanent. Do you have a husband with you?"

"I am a widow, sir. My husband died in a road accident some time ago. I am trying to establish which Malan child was mine."

"A worthy aim, my dear. I wish you all success in that venture. I presume The Personalia are assisting in the quest?"

Tom interjected, "They are, Governor. There were complications, but The Personalia are working on those, with strong hopes of a positive outcome eventually."

"Excellent, but Tom, you said something about a backer. Where is he?"

"Sir, you mean SHE. Jeannette finds herself with available capital, and wishes to set up a publishing arm of Rehome News, to publish books of educational and social value."

Bob looked at Mrs Reagan with revised respect. There was more to this woman than a pretty face and figure, it seemed. Then he remembered how Rehome News was set up.

"Tom, Rehome News is a wholly-owned Colony venture, so how can she set up a publishing arm?"

"Governor, her proposal is to purchase ownership of Rehome News, with the Colony retaining the right of ultimate editorial control of the paper. This has two aspects of value. One, the Colony gets cash without losing control of the newspaper; and Two, the new publishing arm brings a new business to Metropolis, adding to the economy."

Bob directed his attention to Mrs Reagan. "What interest do you have in our newspaper, Mrs Reagan?"

"None, sir. I see it as a vehicle; a simple means of setting up a new business. My primary interest would be the book publishing venture. The newspaper would remain as before, but I would hope we could increase the advertising revenue and so make a profit on the capital invested."

"Tell me more about the book publishing. Do you have any experience?"

"Yes, sir. I spent a year or so as a book publisher's manager, expediting the throughput of the business. My employers – a conglomerate – were only interested in making profits, so that was the target. The actual books, to them, were a means to an end, and so not of concern as long as the business ran at a profit.

"My own intention is to find works that extend knowledge but have enough public interest to produce good sales. The first book I intend to publish is a work on Rehome, by Tom Pfeiffer here. If he can edit a newspaper, he knows how to write, and how to convey data in an interesting way.

"I think his book – when it is finished – will sell well. I expect at least one sale to every school on Rehome, for a start; plus sales to many university libraries on Earth. Every major newspaper on Earth will want a copy, so that they can be accurate in any stories they write involving Rehome; All governments with English-speaking staff will also want at least one copy for reference. Companies that do business with Rehome will want copies, so that they can consider future business opportunities; and so on. That is all without considering personal purchases by people on Rehome or on Earth. I can imagine this being an excellent choice for a Christmas present."

"Do you have a printer lined up, Mrs Reagan? You have the finance to order a large print run, well in advance of sales?"

"Governor, I am not just a pretty face, if that. I have enough capital to invest in the business and to be able to order the printing of the first edition. As to the printer, it may well be on Earth to begin with. I do not believe you have a printing company operating on Rehome yet."

"That is so, my dear lady. There has not so far been enough business for a large-scale printing firm. If you were to consider starting a printing enterprise here, the Colonial government has a requirement for printing publications such as a guide for new settlers; the laws of Rehome; school textbooks with a Rehome slant (most of what we use at present come from Earth and have an earth-oriented outlook on everything).

"We should also produce our own Visitors' Guide, with all the expansion of our tourist industry. All our printing, except for a few leaflets and such that we can produce on our computer printers, gets done on Earth. There is potential for a locally-based printing enterprise."

"An intriguing prospect, sir, but first things first. How much would the Colony expect from the sale of the Rehome News, with the stipulations I mentioned? I presume you have no intrinsic objection to its sale?"

"No objections in principle, dear lady, but I would have to consult with the Colony staff about a sale price. You would be required to maintain existing staff levels as a minimum, of course."

"Of course."

Governor Kempe viewed her again, astonished at her buoyancy. "I am surprised by how chipper you are, Mrs Reagan. For a woman in your position, it is astonishing how energetic is your thinking. If you start a business here, can I assume that you will also become resident here?"

"That depends on a number of factors, such as taxation rates, both personal and business."

"We have no personal taxes, Mrs Reagan. No significant business taxes, either."

"In that case, consider me applying for residency, Governor."

"Are you looking to do any farming, Mrs. Reagan? A new settler is entitled to a stretch of land."

"Hmm. Tom, do you have a chunk of land?"

"I do. We don't make much use of it, since I took on this job, though."

"So, if I got a chunk of land, we could put the two together and make a worthwhile farm?"

"Theoretically, yes, but your land would be unlikely to be near mine."

Bob Kempe interrupted, "If Tom was willing, we could accept his land back, to give to another settler, and grant the pair of you two chunks of land side by side, if that is what you wanted."

Tom turned to Jeannette. "Why, Jeannette?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.