The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 39

She checked her phone. She had six messages! We had time so she started playing them.

The first was from Nick who was still in Nashville. He wanted to know what was going on. There was strange activity taking place. He wanted her to call and let her know if he should do anything.

The second was from Bruce. He said that they canceled the suite but expected her Monday morning for the show! Eve said, "Bill, apparently they don't know that the contract requires that they provide a suite for me in Birmingham." She saved the voice mail.

The third one was from Earl who was clearly angry though not, as the voice mail played, with her. He quickly said that Bruce was acting without his knowledge and that he was flying down this evening and wanted to meet with her Saturday afternoon. Eve saved that one. She said, "You were right. Earl didn't know and isn't happy."

The fourth was from Bruce. He tried to cover over the room cancellation as a "little misunderstanding." He said that they looked forward to seeing her Monday. She saved it, too.

The fifth was from Joan saying that her room had been canceled also. She was getting a room under her card and would still see us for supper. She saved it, too.

The last was from her lawyer, Paul. Talk's lawyer had called him trying to smooth things over. Paul said that he told him the room cancellation was a substantial breach and it would be treated that way. Paul then advised Eve to go about her business, show up Monday, and close up shop. He said he would be in touch. She saved that one.

She looked at me and said, "The scramble has begun. Let's go eat with Joan. She's going to be worried."

She put her phone in her purse and we left the room. In the lobby, we met Joan. Bruce walked in and came toward Eve. He said, "Miss Baylor, we need to talk." Eve cringed. I stepped into his path. When he made to go around me, I took his arm.

"There is no Miss Baylor here, Bruce. My 'wife' will not be subjected to an altercation from you in a public place. We are staying here, you are from the outside and disturbing the peace." By the time I finished speaking, hotel employees were lined up with me including the desk clerk who was all of five foot two and mad as a wet hen.

She said, "Sir, you are disturbing guests of this establishment. You need to leave before I call the police to have you removed. Missus and Mister Anderson are guests here and will receive support from this establishment in protecting their peace from you. Please leave quietly before this situation has to escalate."

Bruce wasn't a total idiot. He knew he was in trouble and was beaten. He said, "I will leave. This isn't over."

At that point, two police officers came in. They heard the last statement from Bruce. One took his arm and said, "Is this man threatening a guest here?"

The desk clerk looked at me and I nodded. She said, "Yes, Sir."

"Is someone willing to prefer charges?"

I said, "Yes, Sir. He was trying to accost my wife who is Eve Anderson of the Eve Anderson Show on television."

The officer looked at Eve and his eyes widened as he recognized her. "Missus Anderson, my wife loves your show." He looked at me. "Mister Anderson, you're a lucky man. If you will prefer charges, we will take this man into custody and hold him overnight. You can come by in the morning and sign the paperwork."

He grimaced. "He will probably be able to make bail after that if someone wants to get him out."

"I understand. I am the Director of the Alabama EMA. I will be at the station in the morning." Bruce went white realizing that his bullying tactics had backfired badly.

He said, "Mister Anderson, I apologize. I only wanted to talk. I had no intention of breaching the peace."

I said, "But you did. I would be willing to wager that your employers in Nashville put you up to this. You and they will also be subject to civil damages for assault in addition to the criminal charges against you."

He slumped noticeably then. He was led out and placed in a police car after being handcuffed. The policeman shook hands with me and the desk clerk. He went to Eve and said, "Missus Anderson, I"m sorry you had to suffer through that. Please do not let it ruin your evening."

"Thank you, Officer. I appreciate your actions. Could you stay for just a moment?" He nodded. Joan had been standing well back after getting off the elevator. Eve looked at her, "Joan, do you have anything we can give the officer's wife?"

Joan looked startled for a second and then nodded. She pulled a large photograph from her valise and handed it to Eve. Eve said, "What is her first name and yours?"

"Her name is Paula and I am George."

Eve took a pen and wrote on the bottom of the picture. "Thanks and best wishes to George and a special thanks for his service to Paula. Eve Anderson." was what she wrote. She said, "Officer George, I truly appreciate your help. Tell your wife that Eve Anderson hugged you and she should, too." Eve smiled and embraced the stunned, but happy, man. I shook his hand. He left holding the picture carefully.

I said, "Ma'am, thank you for your help as well as the rest of your staff." The desk clerk smiled.

She said, "Sir, we really would do the same for any guest. Please enjoy your stay this weekend. We are proud to have you here. My parents live in Andalusia and evacuated in time thanks to your warning. They headed back home yesterday." We shook hands. Eve gave her a hug.

Joan came to us and said, "You two just bring excitement wherever you go." We just smiled at her. "Let's eat here. It's a great restaurant." We had a leisurely meal. She was right. It was great.

We all stayed away from business. Joan talked about Todd. She said, "It looks like I'm going to have a vacation. I'm going to see Todd."

I said, "If he can get away, it would be nice to have him join us tomorrow and then accompany us to the studio Monday. Things might get a little too interesting."

Joan looked thoughtful but said, "We could enjoy our time up here. I will ask him."

The weekend passed quietly after that. Saturday morning, I did go to the police station and signed off on the charges against Bruce. He did make bond later. Sunday, Eve and I went to church. We took most of our meals at the hotel. The nights were glorious. On Monday morning, we checked out and I drove Eve to the studio followed by Todd in his truck. We went inside and shook a few people. Todd was wearing his pistol and his badge. I was wearing my pistol on my belt. No one hassled us. Bruce was noticeable by his absence. Earl came forward to greet Eve but was shocked to see that she had armed bodyguards with her. He said, "Eve, it's not necessary to have armed guards."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.