The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 29

Around four in the afternoon, Joyce came into my office with a stack of papers. She was followed by Matt. They sat down and she said, "We have gathered the information you want. Matt and I have both marked areas of policy that we think should be removed. There were many rules that probably should not have existed. Matt and I marked through many. We also have the personnel list. It does have salaries on it because we would have had to prepare the report by hand to avoid pay listings. I apologize for that. It's just the way the software works." She was a bit subdued.

I said, "That's great. I know it was big effort. My hope is that adults will act like adults and we will try to treat them that way. If we have any children working here, we will resolve that issue. Joyce, you did a fine job."

She said, "I had a lot of help from Matt. We marked many of the rules off. If I understand correctly, you are going to review what's left and then we can look at all of it one more time."

"That's correct. I've found that very few rules reasonably enforced works best. It's my job and yours to insure that only adults are hired."

She said, "That's one way of putting it." She grinned. "I think working for you will at least be entertaining, Bill. I think I can start feeling good about where I work once again."

I grinned back at her. "If it feels too good, let me know and I will rattle the building." She smiled while she nodded and left.

Matt said, "I have to admit that I like your hand on the tiller, Cap'n."

"Matt, I've always found humor gets more accomplished than anger and is more fun besides." I looked at the stack in my lap. "I guess I now have some reading to do." I grinned. "Did you mark through the 'no fraternization' rule or do I have to do that?"

He grinned back. "Actually, Joyce did it before I got to it. She said that she should do it since it appeared that I had a personal interest in that rule being removed. I took out the one about plants and personal items." He smiled. "Expect more plants and personal items and pictures to show up around here as that becomes known."

I said, "That's okay by me. People should like to be where they work." I turned a bit more serious. "Can you find a place for the lonely orphan there?" I pointed at Tracey.

Matt said, "There is an empty desk next to mine. I think she will fit in quite well there. I will see to it and it will be ready sometime tomorrow."

I said, "Good. I want a spot for me close to a conference room. If I need a private or large meeting, I'll use the conference room. Otherwise, a chair next to the desk will be sufficient. I don't need much."

Matt said, "Bill, I can do that but you really should have a real office. We have a few available now and one is behind Tracey's future desk. I understand your wish but think it would be best for you to have a real office yet. When we move you, this can become a conference room again."

I shrugged. "You're probably right, Matt. I'm just not into an edifice complex." I grinned. He grinned back and I could hear Tracey giggling.

I put the rules and regulations under my arm and carried those many pages out to my car. I had a light supper in the cafe of the motel and went to my room. I was finding that Matt and Joyce had performed well in marking through almost all the rules. At one point, Joyce had written, "I didn't know that was real and it's nuts."

Eve called and we talked for a long time. She was not happy about our separation. I finally went to sleep.

In the morning, I stopped and picked up doughnuts bringing a couple of dozen into the office with my coffee. I grabbed two and went inside my office and sat in the comfortable chair that I had been using and ate peacefully while going over the last page of the rules and regulations. There wasn't much left.

A very cheerful Tracey entered munching a doughnut. I said, "Good morning, Tracey. You look happy."

"Good morning, Bill. I am. Matt and I went out for dinner and talked. Then, the doughnut fairy left doughnuts this morning."

I said, "I know. I grabbed two.

"I need your help this morning. I need to make copies and don't even know where the copier is located or how to use it."

"I will make them for you."

"I appreciate that but then I still wouldn't know where the machine is located nor how to use it."

She looked a little surprised. "Miss Emerson never cared about its location or learned how to use it."

I just stared at her smiling gently. She said, "You aren't Miss Emerson. Come along. I will take you there and show you how to use it."

She did and I thanked her. While I started the job under her watchful eye, I asked, "How are things with Matt?"

She smiled. "They're coming along but neither of us are trying to hurry anything. I've been hurt before and I think Matt has, too. If it's meant to work out, it will in its good time." She grinned broadly. "Besides, the whole office is waiting with bated breath to see what might happen."

I chuckled with her. The copying completed, we went back to the "Audience Chamber." Matt was there with a doughnut and coffee. Joyce walked in behind us carrying her coffee and a doughnut. She looked rested today. Tracey and I had each grabbed another doughnut each on our way in. I sat down and handed Joyce and Matt each a copy.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.