The Hurricane of 2020 - Cover

The Hurricane of 2020

Copyright© 2015 by radio_guy

Chapter 27

When we returned, April was waiting for me and didn't look pleased that I had eaten with Matt and Tracey. On the other hand, they did look pleased. I went in to my office and returned to the same chair. Tracey returned to the desk and Matt sat at the couch. I motioned April toward the easy chair.

She took her seat sitting very erectly. She started, "I didn't know where you were. I had two calls that I had to field from Senators about Horace's damage in their districts."

I responded by asking, "What did you tell them?"

She said, "I told them that surveys of the damage were occurring. They had questions and I didn't know how to respond based upon your instructions. I told them that, until I was in touch with you, I couldn't comment further. They weren't happy."

I said, "Give me their names and numbers". She did though I could tell she wanted me to let her talk to them. I could also tell she didn't like having to talk in front of Matt and Tracey. I said, "Thank you. I will take care of them." It was a clear dismissal though she didn't like it. She did leave.

Tracey looked over to me and said, "Bill, should I go elsewhere?"

"Not unless you want to. I enjoy seeing real work being done in this office." I grinned at her. "Besides, you're very decorative. Don't you agree, Matt?"

Matt stammered. "Yes, yes, I think so. She's also sharp and is finally getting a chance to show the director what she can do." I nodded. Tracey nodded and went back to work.

I called each senator and placated them though told them nothing. I offered to take each one on a tour of their districts immediately to go over damage and talk to constituents. They declined but thanked me. I ended each conversation with the following, "Senator, this is my cell number. You may call me at any time. If you and I need to go visit people in your district, let me know. I will be glad to pick you up. If anyone says differently, please call me with their name and number. I will straighten them out quickly. Thank you for calling."

Matt said, "Would you have really gone out with them."

I grinned. "Yes, but I know them. They like to blow smoke. I cut them off politely enough that they saved face but didn't have to do anything. They will not be likely to call either."

Matt chuckled. "You were bluffing."

"No. They know me. I would have come and picked them up. It was no bluff. When you are faced with politicians who like to blow smoke, offer to do what they officially want but insist they make the trip, too. These two don't like to go out to see voters and sure don't want to drive through a disaster area with no news coverage."

Tracey said, "Bill, if Miss Emerson's vehicle had been a more serious piece of equipment, we could have gotten through to Luverne right after the hurricane went through."

"I knew it was possible to get through if needed, Tracey. However, she accomplished nothing but her own downfall. On the other hand,, Jane is out coordinating with the county EMA directors in her district and getting her feet wet and her hands dirty. That's why the folks down there love her and welcome her. I bet she has a truck to drive, too."

I grinned. "Matt, your project is to take the six districts and make plans for three districts and for four districts. I will not replace Albert."

"You think someone else will leave."

"I don't predict but it's likely."

We finished the rest of the day with no one else quitting Matt was in and out. The only other unhappy camper was the Assistant Director for Communications. Bill Travers came into my office and said, "We have Internet connected back to Crenshaw County and south and east of there."

I said, "Bill, what were those people down there supposed to do to communicate until it came back up, send smoke signals?" Tracey barely managed to smother a giggle. Matt had to cough.

He said, "The Internet is our primary means of communication and is trustworthy well over ninety percent of the time."

I said, "Then the remainder of that time, the world is supposed to stop and wait for power and the Internet to be restored? With no communications to outlying counties, we would have to sit here with our fingers up our butts and people who need emergency help don't get it. Do you really think that state of affairs is acceptable?" He shook his head slowly. "Good. I want a written proposal of what can be done here to guarantee communications with every county in the event of a power loss and total Internet failure anywhere and everywhere. If this center can't communicate, then it has no purpose. We have to be able to communicate under any set of circumstances. You now know that relying on the Internet will not be sufficient. I want specific recommendations and a budget by Friday. Do you have any questions?"

"No, Sir." I nodded to him. He left.

Matt had been coughing a lot during my diatribe. Tracey had her mouth cupped to hold her mirth. She took a big sip of water and breathed deeply. Matt noticed that with appreciative eyes. She said, "You know the solution? Will he get it right?"

I said, 'I know what I think is the solution. He may find mine or he may come up with something else. Bill isn't stupid but his thinking is digitally oriented. It will be interesting to look at his first couple of tries. He's going to have to demonstrate that they meet the cost and reliability tests. He has a blank sheet of paper. He may come up with some innovative answers. We'll see. I hope he calls around to some of the outlying counties. The Internet is not available except at high cost in some of those counties.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.